Area of Effect/Size Printable Templates?

frankthedm said:
Steel Sqwire decided to market that idea.

Too bad they didn't learn from the company that had the nifty idea of stamp pads for common terrain/furnishngs. Price is everything, and Steel Sqwire is too costly to ultimately be successful. They also need to enable customers to buy what they want rather than be stuck with pre-packs. I'd be interested in four 10-ft. radius wires, but there's no way I'd ever consider buying four sets (at $15-20 a pop!) for them.

Cool idea though.

Nail

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
They also need to enable customers to buy what they want rather than be stuck with pre-packs. I'd be interested in four 10-ft. radius wires, but there's no way I'd ever consider buying four sets (at $15-20 a pop!) for them.
That's my complaint too. For example, those 20' r. look useful....but I'll only get one with my Skirmish pack. :(

mvincent

Explorer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Too bad they didn't learn from the company that had the nifty idea of stamp pads for common terrain/furnishngs.
Agreed. Those sucked for the price.

They also need to enable customers to buy what they want rather than be stuck with pre-packs.
Agreed. I bought my 20' radius templates when Steel Sqwire was selling them individually and I was much happier about it. I don't like what Paizo did here.

Steel Sqwire is too costly to ultimately be successful.
It technically already is successful (as far as game aids go). The templates will likely always cater to a fringe market, but I don't see them going away.

Either way: knowing what I know, I would still pay for the whole pack just to get the 20' radius template (in fact, I might still, even though I have two already). I just wish they could be used for showing threatened areas.

Nail

First Post
mvincent said:
I bought my 20' radius templates when Steel Sqwire was selling them individually and I was much happier about it. I don't like what Paizo did here.
I think we all know why they "packaged" them though: higher profit margin.

MarkB

Legend
Excellent images, Frank. Any chance of a few illustrative examples of Line effects at various angles? They can tend to be tricky to work out visually.

mvincent

Explorer
A few ideas:
1) Print these on transparencies (to make them sturdier, nicer looking, and you can maybe see things below them)
2) Print them with an extra 2" on several sides, which can be folded down to create a 'table'. This should allow you to place it on the battlemap without disturbing (most of) the figures (and makes it so you don't have to 'eyeball' where the template covers... which kinda defeats its purpose).
3) There is a type of 'koosh ball' toy that looks like a mass of long tentacles. Mounting a clear, 20' radius template on top of one of these could be a fun/useful item for gamers that frequently use the Dark Tentacles spell.

Thurbane

First Post
frankthedm said:
I actually dislike grids, measuring much more preferable for my tastes. But the grid system makes for easier rules discussions.
Same here - the templates I use are made with a compass i.e. circular. Causes a few minor problems with the battlemat grid, but I prefer this to square fireballs...

frankthedm

First Post
MarkB said:
Excellent images, Frank. Any chance of a few illustrative examples of Line effects at various angles? They can tend to be tricky to work out visually.
There is a slight problem there. Besides the problem of how thick the line should be [same width of the lines that exist between squares is my guess], the text and the example{and the text in that example] of lines in the PHB do not agree on what defines a line!

Klaus

First Post
Fiery Dragon's BattleBox has "spell counters" for several effects. There's fireball, lighting bolt, 30' cones, 30' radius, burning hands, phantom steed, Bigby's Hand and Fist, flaming sphere, generic lines and more.

On top of that you get a combat-tracking pad, Action Cards detailing several combat options (Grappling, Sunder, Overrun, Turn Undead, Throw Splash Weapon and more), a mini d20 and a booklet detailing two new optional rules: Alert Factor (to track the level of combat readiness of a building or lair) and the Pursuit System (for long overland chases, akin to the Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli vs. Uruk-Hai chase in The Two Towers).

The revised BattleBox also includes Size/Reach cheat sheets.

Remove ads