Security Guard Duty

afata5

First Post
Hey all,

Tonight our game wil involve us being security guards of some kind in a building (for a public or private party for high classed nobles etc...).

I play a Cleric (Lvl 17, CN). We basically have to protect some nobles and/or detect people that are gonig to attack (assasins etc...).

What are good spells that I should take for such an occasion?

Example:
True Seeing
Invisibility Purge
Detect Thoughts
What else?

We can use pretty much all the 3.5 edition books that have been printed (SPell C., Complete series (including compete scoundrel) etc...)

I can also take the spell Anyspell or anyspell greater to learn a Wizard side spell :)

Comments/ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance :)

jensun

First Post
Play 20 questions with Commune.

Do the same with Contact Other Plane.

If you can lock out dimensional travel over as large an area as possible. Dimensional Lock is probably the best idea.

True Seeing has a pretty short duration but you will want to use it on as many people as possible.

Use the full battery of other Detect Spells. Evil, Undead, Alignment. Also, Greater Arcane Sight.

Make everyone who enters the building walk through an Antimagic shell to penetrate dodgy disguises.

Get someone with decent Sense Motive to personally interview every servant there. Better yet fire them all and replace them with permanent unseen servants.

Ask everyone going to the party to leave all weapons and magical items outside where you will hold them securely until they leave. Sort of like a cloakroom but worth millions.

afata5

First Post
For sure some detect spells are a great idea. Also Commune is going to be wonderful aswell.

As per asking the people to put their weapons aside we would then have to impliment a different security measures for that aswell...cause mabey they will be less likely be killed, btu then again, we will be killed if all that "loot" is stolen :)

And i don't think an assassin/mage/cleric/wizard/etc.. would not need a weapon to be "ouchable" :).

Thanks for the reply, anyone else please also give ideas.

Thanks!

jensun

First Post
afata5 said:
As per asking the people to put their weapons aside we would then have to impliment a different security measures for that aswell...cause mabey they will be less likely be killed, btu then again, we will be killed if all that "loot" is stolen :)

And i don't think an assassin/mage/cleric/wizard/etc.. would not need a weapon to be "ouchable" :).
Stick them in a Mordenkainens Magnificent Mansion, they should be fine. Of course, convincing them to do it might be more difficult.

While it wont neuter spellcasters an NPC without gear against a fully equipped PC group is not likely to last long.

I work in security so I would suggest surveillance and detection magics. Don't just rely on magic either!

Divination will give you a heads-up on what might be coming.
Commune after that if it is serious enough.
Status is a wonderful spell for a widespread party or security team.
Glyph of Warding/Symbols allow for better access control at choke points.
Dimensional Anchor/Dimensional Lock/Forbiddance/Zone of Respite degrade enemies' ability to circumvent your team.
Animate Objects could get you some extra hands in a fight.
True Seeing - must have.
Zone of Revelation - like Invisibilty Purge but includes extraplanar critters.

I'm away from my books right now but combine those with the usual combat spells and you should be fine.

jensun

First Post
One crucial one I forgot which by level 17 you should probably have set up permanently on the whole party:

Rary's Telepathic Bond.

Now all of those OOC "suggestions" around the table are IC.

afata5

First Post
Good suggestion guys (and girls if it is the case) :)

We already have Rary's...its not playable without it:)
As for the other suggestions, thank you very much, a few of them i didn't think of and they will be very usefull :)

Thanks again, off to play the game :)

Al

Angerland

First Post
I would take or use Zone of Truth too in case of interrogating. Cast "hallow" or what ever it might be in the area where the principle will be most of the night and tie in an invisibility purge to it so anyone coming near would be made visible. That may not be the correct spell , IAFB, but there is one like it that a Clr17 should easily have access to. Got a Paladin? for permanent detect evil. Put the principles in magic circle vs. evil and chaos or law depending on the most likely assassins.

Storyteller01

First Post
If you have the time, and your patron has the cash, rebuild the doorframes as Geas portals (casts a geas of 'you will do no harm in [name the estate]'). Leave a true seeing at these door to catch critters/people with an SR, than start focusing on other avenues of approach (windows, eatheiral, etc).

Remove ads