What else is arcane mark for?

Dross

Explorer
fafhrd said:
Why not? Is it stipulated somewhere that you can't change your mark?

If you keep changing your specific identification rune, is it really your mark? I certainly would say no. If you changed it due to circumsatnces, i'd be okay with it (change your mark to represent that you now command the king's western army for instance, but see below).

A personal mark makes you identifiable. How does "GOWEST" then "GONRTH" then "OPNDOR" make someone personally identifiable?

Then there is the other problem, what mark people rememebr you by. Where I work changed their name 15 years ago (and their symbol or "arcane mark"), people still know us by that old name and symbol, but not the new. If you never encountered the old mark, you would not recognise it as the same company.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hypersmurf said:
Yes, but it's not a variable six characters.

For example, my personal rune or mark of six characters or less might be "-Hyp."

What if your personal mark were "XYZ-->" (or anything else with directionality). Cue the cuneiform alphabet!

Anything you can do with lines, you can do with a few arcane marks. At least it solves the "GONRTH" problem; just point the arrow end north.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dross said:
If you keep changing your specific identification rune, is it really your mark?

What if all of them changed at once? It would be your mark, but people would need to look it up every time to confirm it's still the right one.

That would be annoying IMHO... but possible.

Cheers, -- N

ElectricDragon

Explorer
These are House Rules but here they are:

1. Allows use of teleport spell as if area with your arcane mark has been "studied carefully."
2. Allows use of scrying and greater scrying as if the subject with your mark is "familiar."
3. Allows telepathic bond and lesser telepathic bond to stretch to coexistent planes if all parties are marked.
4. Allows telepathic bond to stretch to coterminus planes if all parties are marked.
5. Requires a Forgery check DC10 + arcane mark's caster's level to fool locate creature spells into identifying false targets with mislead, nondetection, and polymorph spells.
6. Requires a Forgery check DC10 + arcane mark's caster's level to fool locate object spells into identifying false targets with polymorph any object spells.

IMC arcane mark is chosen at 1st level and can only be changed at 6th level and every level evenly divisible by 6. This does not change previously scribed marks, so a 20th level wizard could have up to 3 previous marks and one current one.

Ciao
Dave

Aaron L

Hero
I always wanted them to make more spells keyed to Arcane Mark the way Drawmij's Instant Summons is. Arcane Mark (and Wizard Mark before it) has always been one of my favorite spells, for the flavor if nothing else. I allow Teleportation with no chance of failure to any location you have Marked, but this use destroys the mark if the location isn't actually "very familiar" to the caster, and am always looking for new ideas on how to use it.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Mistwell said:
Waymarkers in the wilderness that don't go away, and don't harm the tree or rock they are put on.

Who says? The long-term effects of thaumic radiation on plants and other living entities is insufficiently explored. Wait until that tree carries leaves or fruit in the form of your arcane mark - which makes it easy for militant druids to identify the culprit. :]

Voadam

Legend
Cast it on a homicidal criminal PC. Tell the PC it is an invisible mark of justice that will affect them if they harm living beings in a city. Have a fellow PC wizard cast a divination and while smirking confirm the existence of the spell. Now let the evil PC adventure with the rest of the good party. See OotS for an example of this in action. :)

In my games I have a number of small magic items that are triggered/keyed only by people with the appropriate arcane mark on their person.

The secret police use it to identify themselves. They have a small disk that only glows when it is held in the hand of someone with the appropriate mark.

Low-level, one-shot, short-range teleport items that only work when activated by someone with the right mark. Gives the bad guys a quick 'get out of death at the PC's hands' card, but not too bad if the players capture it. (I do allow the PCs to change the triggering condition on the item, but it takes time and effort.)

Doors that are arcane locked for anyone without the mark, but for those with the mark an unseen servant opens the door and closes it behind them.

As others have done, a lot of traps keyed to ignore those with the mark.

evilbob

Explorer
ElectricDragon said:
1. Allows use of teleport spell as if area with your arcane mark has been "studied carefully."
2. Allows use of scrying and greater scrying as if the subject with your mark is "familiar."
3. Allows telepathic bond and lesser telepathic bond to stretch to coexistent planes if all parties are marked.
4. Allows telepathic bond to stretch to coterminus planes if all parties are marked.
5. Requires a Forgery check DC10 + arcane mark's caster's level to fool locate creature spells into identifying false targets with mislead, nondetection, and polymorph spells.
6. Requires a Forgery check DC10 + arcane mark's caster's level to fool locate object spells into identifying false targets with polymorph any object spells.
Loincloth of Armour said:
In my games I have a number of small magic items that are triggered/keyed only by people with the appropriate arcane mark on their person.
The secret police use it to identify themselves. They have a small disk that only glows when it is held in the hand of someone with the appropriate mark...
Doors that are arcane locked for anyone without the mark, but for those with the mark an unseen servant opens the door and closes it behind them.
As others have done, a lot of traps keyed to ignore those with the mark.
These are all really neat ideas. I wonder, however, if keying a mark to a spell like scry or teleport doesn't actually sort of reduce the effective power of that spell? Or are you saying that the spell works like normal, except that if a wizard popped in, marked something, and then popped out, they could still teleport there as if they had "studied" the place "carefully," even though they had not? (Same with scry - a quick brand and then, boom: "familiar?")

Remove ads