[Star Frontiers] Shotguns on the Frontier

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
While statting up the PCs and NPCs for my Truane's Star Vice GenCon game, I originally gave the Tubs character a gyrojet rifle, but for the real feel of the character in the TV series, he needs a shotgun.

Of course, there are no shotguns in Star Frontiers.

So, I was building up rules for Frontier Scatterguns - how do these look?

Because scatterguns fire a cluster of small pieces of shot or flechettes, attacking with a scattergun is very similar to using a burst attack with an autoweapon. Each ‘shot’ from a scattergun contains 10 projectiles. A shot can be aimed at up to five adjacent characters in an area up to 5 meters wide, or at just one character. Only one die roll is needed to hit all the characters aimed at. Because of the number of projectiles fired, the shooter gains a +10 bonus on the hit chance. If the shot is aimed at one character it causes 2d10 points of damage. If it is aimed at more than one character, it causes 2d10 points of damage plus 1d10 for each additional target. These points are divided as evenly as possible among all the targets. Any leftover points of damage are lost.

EXAMPLE: Dai Hulad, the yazirian gangster, fires his scattergun at a group of four Star Law Vice officers charging toward him. All four are hit, so the player rolls 5d10 for damage (2d10 for the first target, +3d10 for three additional targets). The result is 29 points of damage. These are divided evenly among the officers, resulting in 7 points of damage to each. The extra point of damage is lost.

Assault Scatterguns are even more effective against groups – being able to fire up to five shots at a time, similar to the burst attack of an autoweapon. Each burst from an assault scattergun contains 5 shots, or 50 projectiles. A scattergun burst can be aimed at up to ten adjacent characters in an area up to twenty meters wide, or at just one character. Only one die roll is needed to hit all the characters aimed at. Because of the number of projectiles fired, the shooter gains a +20 bonus on the hit chance, and any benefits of soft cover are lost. If the burst is aimed at one character it causes 5d10 points of damage. If it is aimed at more than one character, it causes 5d10 points of damage plus 2d10 for every additional target. These points are divided as evenly as possible among all the targets. Any leftover points of damage are lost.

Scatterguns are projectile weapons, and use the Projectile Weapons skill and Skeinsuits and Inertia Screens protect against them as normal.

Hussar

Legend
It's been a REALLY long time since I looked at Star Frontiers, but, IIRC, didn't they have the Needler Rifle? That would be very close to a shotgun.

HellHound

Good grief. You know, those would cover it pretty well without adding new rules at all, wouldn't they?

Hussar

Legend
What truly frightens me is that I actually remember that despite not opening the covers of those books for ... good god it's been almost 15 years. O.O

I still have my copies somewhere in my parent's basement. I'd love to dig them out.

I guess this is the week for nostalgia trips.

Delta

First Post
The problem is that needler weapons can only be fired at a single person. There's no allowance in the rules for a needler burst-type attack at multiple people, which seems to be the main goal of the OP suggestion.

If you stick to the rules-as-written, the best you can do is use a grenade rifle -- in fact, the description says "a grenade rifle resembles a shotgun". Load it with fragmentation grenades and you're good to go.

smootrk

First Post
Make the neo/future-style shotgun have a cone shape area of effect. Have some serious damage dice at point-blank/adjacent, then substract damage dice for each square (or whatever unit is used - my StarFrontiers-fu is weak, it has been a long time).

Sathar rule.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
A tear was brought to my eye seeing a Star Frontier thread. And yeah a needler rifle would work I would think.

OR if you have Zebulons guid page 64

Rafflur M4: Microwave "Shotgun" basically. Fires a cone shaped microwave beam. If you read the description is basically is a shotgun.

And if all else fails you can contact Plick-Wick on Prenegar. He works for Zodiac, a company specilizing in Military and Starship Engineering. (My PC from WWWWAAAAYYY back in the day.)

HellHound

Yeah, in the final version of the "Frontier Scatterguns" article I just finished for the StarFrontiersman fanzine, I referenced the M4 Rafflur of the Humma Elite forces.

the Jester

Legend
God Star Frontiers was fun...!

Wonder if I still have my original set- I know that I have a few modules n stuff floating around...

Thrommel

First Post
I really hate to be one of those guys who brings real-world physics into a fictional arena, but the truth is: shotguns don't generally pattern wide enough to be considered a cone effect.

At 40 yards, you want a minimum of 50-60% of your shot to fit inside a 30 inch circle. That's a 'cone' 120 feet long and less than 5 feet wide.

So if you're trying to stat an area of effect type of attack, the shotgun is not a good fit. Instead I'd be inclined to take the stats for how a gyrojet scales damage with distance and invert them. Shotguns are devastating up close, but rapidly lose both pattern density and inertia downrange.

-Thrommel, whose very first RPG purchase was Star Frontiers. *tear*

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases