Zone of Truth: Metamagic Conversion from Area to Targeted Spell?

takasi

First Post
Are there any feats or ways to convert a spell that is normally an area of effect into a spell with specific targets?

The reason I ask is that Zone of Truth is an area of effect, and therefore the caster cannot know if a creatures in the area of effect failed their saves. If it was a targeted effect, even for just one target, it would be much more useful right?

Also, are there any other spells that duplicate this ability?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Simple solution I've seen implemented:

Have another caster (that you trust and has a good spellcraft) do a Detect Magic before you cast Zone of Truth, and observe everyone for 3 rounds so that they know exactly how many and what magical auras each person has.

Cast your Zone of Truth. Anyone who does not gain a new magical aura of the appropriate school after the spell is cast, resisted the spell.

You can do the detect magic yourself, but it will take 2 castings that way, as it will end when you cast Zone of Truth.

takasi

First Post
That's very clever. Can someone quote the appropriate text from the SRD that says a user who fails this save will take on a new aura that is separate from the zone itself?

Wolfwood2

Explorer
takasi said:
Are there any feats or ways to convert a spell that is normally an area of effect into a spell with specific targets?

The reason I ask is that Zone of Truth is an area of effect, and therefore the caster cannot know if a creatures in the area of effect failed their saves. If it was a targeted effect, even for just one target, it would be much more useful right?

Also, are there any other spells that duplicate this ability?

I consider that this is one of the two reasons that Discern Lies exists and is two levels higher than Zone of Truth. In many ways DS is inferior, seeing as how it does not force the subject(s) to speak the truth but only alerts you to their lies and it only lasts a round a level as opposed to a minute per level.

However, Discern Lies is targetted, so you know if they made their save. (It is also a Divination spell rather than a Mind-Affecting spell, so you can use it on creatures immune to mind-affecting.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
takasi said:
That's very clever. Can someone quote the appropriate text from the SRD that says a user who fails this save will take on a new aura that is separate from the zone itself?

I'm not sure, myself. If the area were defined in terms of creatures, like Bless, for example, I'd agree.

But the area is a volume of space; creatures in the area are affected by the spell that permeates that volume, but the spell is not attached to them; I would not consider a creature in the effect of a Stinking Cloud spell to take on a Conjuration aura on a failed save, and neither would I expect a creature in the area of a Zone of Truth spell to take on an Enchantment aura on a failed save.

The truth-telling is a property of the spell on the area, not of a spell on the creature in the area.

-Hyp.

Remove ads