[Dread] Jenga beat up my dice! My results from the indie horror RPG.

BryonD

Hero
Jim Hague said:
Sure, but the basic principles remain the same - investiture, immersion and ramping up the stakes. I want to like Dread, but the resolution mechanic would, pardon the pun, leave me in fear for my life from my players. Plus, I wouldn't want someone getting knocked out of a 4-6 hour game, one shot or no, because they bumped the table; that's no fun at all.

So the question remains - what other resolution mechanics could be used and maintain the principle of the game?
I dunno. To me that is like saying I want to like soccer but hate kicking the ball.
If you don't like it then you don't like it. That's fine.

There are ways discussed for keeping player involved even if the character is "dead". But still, it just sounds like it isn't for you.

Jim Hague

First Post
BryonD said:
I dunno. To me that is like saying I want to like soccer but hate kicking the ball.
If you don't like it then you don't like it. That's fine.

There are ways discussed for keeping player involved even if the character is "dead". But still, it just sounds like it isn't for you.

Thing is, I've read through Dread. I want to like it. Could you expand on how to keep the player involved if they're out of the game? I'm not being snarky here; I'm genuinely interested in hearing how that works, because I'm obviously missing something in the book.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
I suggest selling a line of scenarios, just like the ones you have for free on your website. I would gladly pay $5 each for these in PDF.
Totally agreeing on that one.

Heck, you could charge $5 for a small handful of questionnaires, too, and I'd snag that.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Thing is, I've read through Dread. I want to like it. Could you expand on how to keep the player involved if they're out of the game? I'm not being snarky here; I'm genuinely interested in hearing how that works, because I'm obviously missing something in the book.
I'm thinking you don't. That's why it's so nerve-wracking both in and out of character when you yank (sorry, 'draw') a jenga block. The player is basically done, unless the referee wants to have the player run NPCs.

Crothian

First Post
Jim Hague said:

The easiest way is to have a new character show up the player runs. One could also have the PC have a horrible death but have him show up two scenes later with everyone wondering how it is so.

BryonD said:
But this strikes me as an excellent merger between an RPG and a party game. I'll certainly be picking it up.
I agree--as soon as I heard PirateCat's summary of this game on the Circvs, I had visions in my head of running for a group of people I know who would never be interested in an RPG, but with whom we'd done tons of "Murder Mystery" type games and had tons of fun. I think that crossover appeal you mention--the kind of "party game" hybrid nature of it, is one of it's strongest appeals. I can totally see doing this for our annual Halloween party with total nongamers and having a blast.

woodelf

First Post
Mercule said:
Which brings me to my question: This sounds like a one-shot game, maybe multiple one-shots, but still not an ongoing thing. How well does Dread lend itself to a campaign?

It depends on what style of campaign you want. With no significant alterations, it will be high-lethality. So you'll never get a game with a feel like Supernatural, X-Files, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, or Friday the 13th (the TV series), because you can't count on the main characters being around from session to session. Then again, that's a large part of why Supernatural, in particular, has failed to be good horror, for me (and i never really considered X-Files to be horror, either).

However, high-lethality doesn't necessarily mean "everybody's gonna die every session" or anything to that extreme. Typically, at a convention game (i.e., 4hrs, including filling out the questionnaires), we get 0-1 deaths, unless somebody decides to sacrifice themselves. I can't prove this, but i suspect the rate of heroic sacrifice is inflate at convention games, 'cause the coolness factor is still there, but there isn't the downside of losing character investment in an ongoing game, since it's just a one-shot. And the group, especially the host, has a lot of power to adjust the overall pacing and thus number of pulls, so, with a little practice, it's likely that typical-length sessions (4-8hrs) would still be in the 0-2 deaths per session range--with 0 actually a fairly likely possibility for a 4 or 5 hour game. Nonetheless, you'd need to have some structure to stitch the campaign together other than main character continuity. A setup like Chill's SAVE would, of course, be perfect: operative dies, the head office sends you a replacement next week.

Then we get into the realm of rules modifications. As others pointed out, you could allow non-permanent removals to be reversable: someone who goes insane could be cured; you chickened out last week, but after you thought about the consequences to your grandmother if you don't continue, you've steeled yourself to return; she miraculously survived the implosion of the sub and made it to an escape pod; given a high-magic game, even resurrection could be possible.

If you do this, probably the best way is to incorporate it into the additional questions that provide character development. Causing the tower to fall should still be it for the rest of the session, and should be a character-transforming event. It could generate a significant new weakness, or eliminate an old one; at an extreme, becoming a new being (a channelled spirit, say) would be appropriate.

Dread is designed for campaign play, as written, and both we and others have done it. But that's probably the biggest failing of the rulebook--we apparently don't get that across very well, because a lot of people conclude that it's only designed for one-shots, and would require modification for long-term play. Really, it's only going to require modification if you want to keep characters around longer. And, even then, it could be very minor modification--just allowing in-game-world-reversible removals to be reversible over time. If you're OK with the high character turnover, no changes whatsoever need to be made. And, even then, that could still likely mean that you get to play a given character for 3-6 sessions, on average (depending on the size of the group, the nature of the scenarios, how the group plays, etc.), not just 1. That's why there's discussion of additional questions after/between scenarios.

In fact, one of the games i'm tryin to push for my group's next campaign would be a dark fantasy game, in the mold of Conan and other warriors-against-evil-magic stories, run with Dread.

GQuail

Explorer
Jim Hague said:

This was a question my girlfriend asked when, after this thread, I explained the game concept to her.

I think the answer is, as previously stated, "you don't": just like Cthulhu and other horror games with purposefully high mortality rates, you go into the game with the knowledge that it'll happen and played plan accordingly. Being a one-shot-oriented game, from what I've read, that's not a critical problem as most players can deal with being sidelined in a circumstance like that: but in a long-term campaign where a string of bad pulls knocks you out in the first hour every week for a month, it would be untenable, yes.

I suppose one alternative is to insert some sort of Fate Point mechanism so all players can dodge death once: and then, when you rebuild the tower after a fall, you count spent Fate Points as players crashed out when it comes to redrawing. So you can keep them alive in the short term longer, but as they go further in whoever knocks it over can easilly take the whole party with him in a hellball of doom.

BryonD

Hero
Hobo said:
I had visions in my head of running for a group of people I know who would never be interested in an RPG, but with whom we'd done tons of "Murder Mystery" type games and had tons of fun.
Exactly. My brother (former D&Der, but hasn't been interested in years) and his SO (never gamed in her life that I know of) both immediately expressed interest in coming over to play when I described this to them.

BryonD

Hero
woodelf said:
Dread is designed for campaign play, as written, and both we and others have done it. But that's probably the biggest failing of the rulebook--we apparently don't get that across very well, because a lot of people conclude that it's only designed for one-shots, and would require modification for long-term play. Really, it's only going to require modification if you want to keep characters around longer. And, even then, it could be very minor modification--just allowing in-game-world-reversible removals to be reversible over time. If you're OK with the high character turnover, no changes whatsoever need to be made. And, even then, that could still likely mean that you get to play a given character for 3-6 sessions, on average (depending on the size of the group, the nature of the scenarios, how the group plays, etc.), not just 1. That's why there's discussion of additional questions after/between scenarios.
huh.
I hadn't really thought about it that way. So the campaign would be more serial with rotating characters coming from some common source, or completely unrelated characters facing different threats from a common meta-threat, or whatever other creative connecting string the GM can create.

I'd like to see that. Though for me I think I'll stick to more standard models for campaigns.
You'll still get my cash and I'll still have fun. So we still both win. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases