The return to Whispering Cairn is fun!

jasin

Explorer
Some spoilers for A Gathering of Winds follow...

Our AoW game took us to Whispering Cairn a second time, in search of Alustan, who is my character's mentor.

There's a whole twisted little social ecosystem in there! There are the Wind Dukes, the builder's of the tomb, absent in body but ubiquitous in spirit. There's the Earl of Coalchester, a salamander compelled by conjuration to guard the tomb. There's a Marquis of Ravenstone, a ghoul and one the most pleasant people we've been around lately. There's a crazy shadow walking spider that speaks in stream of consciousness gibberish (has someone been reading Perdido Street Station?). We've been negotiating with monsters more than killing them lately.

Eventually, we found Alustan trapped in some sort of stasis in a globe of electricity. We dispelled it, and Alustan began to bleed to death. The scout, protected from electricity, rushed in to administer a potion... but the globe could now reactivate any second! How to get Alustan out before he gets smacked by Xd6 of electricity? No-one can rush in, pick him up, and rush out in the same round.

So when my turn comes up, I think: telekinesis! But the room is 30 ft. in radius, and the sustained force application of TK only allows you to move someone or something 20 ft. in a round.

Violent thrust, however, is not so limited.

So I yank the Alustan out of the electricity room and smack him into a wall for 7 hp of damage, rendering him unconscious again, but safe from deadly lighting.

OK, the dispel d4 came up a 4, so we had plenty of time to get him out normally, actually, but I couldn't have know that! I had to save my mentor. And if that means I had to hurl him, badly hurt, over 50 ft. and into a wall, so be it!

Other fun moments: when Almighty Watashi referred to the Marquis' undead minions as MMORHGs, and when we realized that Alustan was limited to 4th-level spells, while I had 5th: "Now, I am the master."

Last edited:

Remove ads