Metal School

Ferret

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
Sure, it's an opinion, but calling Green Day "amazingly poor" songwriters is an incorrect opinion. You might not like their songs or style of music but that doesn't make them poor songwriters.

I didn't know you could have an 'incorrect opinion'...what with them being personal. However you're entitled to the opinion of me being wrong, about you being wrong =p

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm 100% with Thunderfoot on Green Day. I'd rather listen to original Punk (Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Clash, etc.) than anything they ever put out. I was turned off as soon as I heard Billy Joe Armstrong's faux-Brit singing voice.

Of the neo-punks, about the only group I listen to is Rancid (BTW, I understand that Tim Armstrong has a solo album out) and I must confess a weakness for early Offspring.

Yeah when it comes to punk, there's The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Black Flag, The Butthole Surfers, The Dead Kennedys, The Dead Milkmen and then that other stuff. :D

AnonymousOne

First Post
Ooohhh a topic I can appreciate.

Right so. Like DnD, I got into metal in College.

I hate to break it to the ol' folks here but I really don't like "old school" metal. I've tried, I swear, but I just can't get into it. However, I'm perfectly willing to reap the benefits from their influences. I'm into a lot of the stranger genres of metal. I'm a big fan of some of the progressive movement. Bands like Opeth (saw them in concert and it was ridiculous!), Zozobra, Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, Machinae Supremacy (refered to as "gamer Metal" for their use of a 64bit processor in making many of the sounds in their songs), and Dream Theater are up near the top of that list. Couple that with some of the more mainstream Death Metal bands like Dark Tranquility, and In Flames (though I feel as if a lot of their work sounds very recycled).

I love off the wall quirky stuff as well. If there is one band that you check out please: Diablo Swing Orchestra
Think Swing + Metal + Jazz + an Opera singer as their lead vocalist. really weird, but I found that it really grows on people. The more you listen to the album the more you realize how varied their talents are.

Another band is called System Shock, it's Melodic Death Metal, but it's NOT Gothenburg. Quite interesting stuff really.

Now for the sake of my collection I do have Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaugh, and many others.

Oh and FYI for those of you interested. Machinae Supremecy actually releases many of their songs on their website for free download. http://www.machinaesupremacy.com/
Go to releases>webography and you can DL their un-albumed songs. good stuff, a bit different.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Its not about liking the older stuff- after all, taste is subjective- its about knowing the genre's history.

So, feel free to consider older metal bands to be too wussy for your personal taste, just as long as you know who they are and why they matter.

Nyaricus

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
I hate to break it to the ol' folks here but I really don't like "old school" metal. I've tried, I swear, but I just can't get into it. However, I'm perfectly willing to reap the benefits from their influences.
Just curious, but what would you consider "old school" when Dream Theatre have been around since 1985? Do you mean like the first wave of metal bands, like Black Sabbath, etc, or something in between those two??

cheers,
--N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My personal opinion- learning about the old stuff helps you understand the new stuff.

I was just reading an interview with 2 of the founding members of Immortal (Norwegian black metal band, recently reunited), and one of the members cited Elvis as one of the most important influences on rock.

If someone doing black metal can demonstate knowledge and respect for music 50 years old in genres far removed from his own, you have to wonder how it affects his artistry.

Once you start thinking like that...

AnonymousOne

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Its not about liking the older stuff- after all, taste is subjective- its about knowing the genre's history.

So, feel free to consider older metal bands to be too wussy for your personal taste, just as long as you know who they are and why they matter.

Of course taste is subjective. It's not that it's too wussy. Hell I listen to a lot of softer stuff like Darkwave and the Dark Neoclassical work and those are certainly NOT metal. I'm just not a fan of that time period as a whole. I've found little that I like from it. *shrugs* To each their own.

Nyaricus said:
Just curious, but what would you consider "old school" when Dream Theater have been around since 1985? Do you mean like the first wave of metal bands, like Black Sabbath, etc, or something in between those two??

cheers,
--N
Dream Theater is the one exception, but even then I'm not a big fan of their work before 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence'. When I say Old School I mean groups like Black Sabbath, Megadeath, Slayer, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and a lot of the Thrash influences from the 80s. Sure I don't like their music, but I can't deny that they've influenced a genre that I've come to enjoy.

Welcome Anonymous One!
(Sorry, school has kept me away from teaching (boy that sounds really dumb doesn't it...))
No offense is taken. You'll find that Danny and I agree about a lot of things, so I won't mimic his well stated points.
And, I must admit, you aren't the first person I've heard say this. There is a certain disconnect between 1989 and 2000 called grunge that pretty much killed the music industry for a while. Death/Black metal kept rolling along in the underground (ref Sweden/Finland/Norway and Denmark) while the rest of the world was lifting Nirvana to a (IMO undeserved) place in musical history. Pop metal/AOR and even good ole' fashioned rock n' roll pretty much disappeared. I mean when Oasis is on the cutting edge, you know something is screwy. Because of this, a lot of traditional metal acts sound dated...because frankly, they are. I imagine that as metal begins to become more prevalently played that that will change.

Hopefully I will be posting again soon, but just wanted to take this chance to say HEY and let everyone else know I haven't died or anything.

Flobby

Explorer
whew! That was a long thread. I was waiting for someone to mention Manowar! what could be more metal than them! Gods of Metal...genius.

I feel like I have to defend Greenday here though. (Partly cause we're from the same hood :) ) I understand the critisism but they are punk. Personally I don't listen to them anymore, and haven't heard their new album. I think people should realize they were innovaters of the whole new melodic punk thing. Okay maybe that wasn't a good think-- and they spawned a lot of crap (Blink 43854 or whatever). They did something totally different, they were punks definitly but they brought in simply rock'n'roll-- simply lyrics, cheesy love-songs, most of their songs sounded the same. (Like the Ramones?) They just well... rocked! An dthey were fun! And I know signing to a major was a big desicion for them. They knew that all the punks that liked them would never forgive them, and they'll never be able to play a the little whole-in-the-wall punk clubs like they used to. So anyway I respect them, the wrote some great rock songs-- and they're still punk in my book :).

I too prefer old-school punk (Ramones or course but what about Suicidal! MDC! Minor Threat! no one has mentioned these guys! ) i wonder how punk the Sex Pistols are though (although I like them). I give them respect, but as far as punk ethic and culture goes Green Day was more Punk. They were a produced band, made in the studio after all-- that's not very punk...
And remeber the orginal punk was extremely varied-- Talking Heads was (is) punk!

And one last thing... Slayer!!!! where's the love fr Slayer! They are the metal of metal in my book. They brought the silly horror/fantasy of metal and the harshness of punk together. (Well okay Misfits helped there too :) ) Without them we wouldn't have the genres of Death Metal, Power Violence, Black Metal (Leviathan!!!) or gothic/industrial metal bands like Neurosis, or the weird ones like Mr.Bungle. I think Slayer is the only metal band whose albums have never disappointed (unlike Metalica...)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases