Stacking Blur and Mirror Image

Nail

First Post
Caliban said:
I agree with Kahuna Burger.
Me too.

Besides, Mirror Image is good enough already. It hardly needs Yet Another Ability thrown in there.

Example: If you have Mirror Image up, and then cast Project Image, does your projected image have mirror images? If you then cast Blur, would your projected image have blurred mirror images? blurred images? :D

Etc.

An illusion of an illusion does not gain the powers of the illusion it's mimicing.

lukelightning

First Post
Caliban said:
What's the FAQ answer?

I believe it says that they do stack...something about the images sharing your visual protections. But then again, the FAQ also thinks that the images share your space (which is actually how most people I've seen play it).

pawsplay

Hero
Mirror image duplicates the appearance of the caster. If the blur were not working on them, they would not appear to mimic the caster and hence would not fulfill the description of mirror image. The "blur" of the images is not an illusion; rather, the illusions have the appearance of being blurred. Mirror images are figments, and hence, merely moving through space affected by them does not destroy them becaues it does not harm the figment of the caster. This is just as the case where a mirror image fires an arrow; if the arrow strikes an object, the archer does not vanish.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
pawsplay said:
Mirror images are figments, and hence, merely moving through space affected by them does not destroy them becaues it does not harm the figment of the caster.

But the figment that visually represents the caster takes up more volume than the caster does physically, and all that's required to pop a MI figment is to successfully attack it.

If I swing at the caster, I need to beat his plate armor to actually hurt him. But for a figment, the plate armor is not protection; it's a part of its 'substance', and a successful attack on the armor is the same as a successful attack on its face. It gets no armor bonus, because striking the armor is striking the figment.

If the MI figment becomes blurry because it is visually representing the appearance of the blurred caster, then those blurred outlines are a part of the figment, just as the armor is a part of the figment, and a successful attack against the blurred outlines will pop the figment.

If, on the other hand, one uses the FAQ ruling, then the figment effectively becomes a secondary target of the Blur spell. The figment still looks like the unblurred caster, but its location is obscured by the magic of the Blur spell. Thus, striking the blurred outlines is not a successful attack, because the outlines are not a part of the MI figment.

However, I see no support for the FAQ answer in either spell. I agree that the MI figment would look blurry, but it's the same as the figment turning green when the caster pours paint on his head. The figment is not painted; it's just representing paint. The figment is not subject to Blur; it's just representing a person subject to Blur.

-Hyp.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Another analogy, if you will...

If the caster put a blanket over his body, the images would appear to have a blanket covering them as well. If you attacked the "blanketted" images, would they not pop? Or would you argue, you are striking the image of the blanket, not the image under the blanket (as if there were such a thing)?

pawsplay

Hero
Hypersmurf said:
If the MI figment becomes blurry because it is visually representing the appearance of the blurred caster, then those blurred outlines are a part of the figment, just as the armor is a part of the figment, and a successful attack against the blurred outlines will pop the figment.

Oh? Mirror image doesn't actually say that a successful attack to some part of the illusion destroys it, only an attack to the duplicate.

Can you stab a mirror image in its shadow and destroy it?

phindar

First Post
Wouldn't blurry images be easier to hit by that rationale, because on the caster some of its real and some of its blur, if you hit the blur you miss. On the images, if the whole image is the blur, and hitting any part of it would cause it to blip out of existence. (A 20% Hit Chance perhaps, so that even if you miss, there is a 20% chance you actually hit?)

Granted, a line in the MI spell description would go a long way towards clearing up any confusion, but absent clarification we've got to come to our own conclusions. I can buy Blur or Displacement affecting Mirror Image. Of the various leaps of faith that D&D magic system-- and rules in general-- require of me, this one is pretty far down on the list.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases