The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergard

Davelozzi

Explorer
Maybe I was just out of the loop this winter, but I am sort of surprised that I have seen no talk of this adventure, nor are there any reviews of it in the database. I was behind on my reading the past few months and am just getting to it now. Though not anything revolutionary, it seems okay so far (I just started reading through the temple section, but have already read all the campaign background material, as well as the player booklet).

So what do people think of this adventure? Is anyone running it?

Stormborn

Explorer
Actually about a month or so ago there were 2 different threads about it

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=183870

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=191838

We just finished it up this weekend (we had to take some time off due to a little quadruplebypass surgery on the DM's husband) and had a lot of fun. Wound up 8th level with only a little bit of side questing from the main adventure. We are going to do some more in the setting and transition into Demonweb pits.

Out DM for this game has said she intends to write a review and I have shown her this thread.

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
(There's a thread about it here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=183870&highlight=slaughtergarde) [Ack! Stormborn beat me to it. I'm the DM he mentioned.]

I just wrapped up running this last weekend for my group. I've been meaning to write a review of it but haven't had a chance. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's first and foremost a dungeon crawl. But that's why we enjoyed it. This was the first time (maybe ever in about 5 years) that we played a dungeon crawl, so it was novel to us. That said, if you don't want to fight drow and goblins and gnolls, it might not be the adventure for you. My players, however, liked fighting some of the iconic creatures of the D&D world.

I've read many complaints about the style of the module, but it worked well for me as DM. I didn't have to do a lot of preparation for it. I used D&D minis for the threats and didn't have difficulty (mostly) finding appropriate ones.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Tigerbunny

First Post
I'm starting this (as DM) with my new group on Sunday. It's been incredibly easy to prep and leaves me lots of room to fill in the details around the dungeons while making the dungeons detailed enough to keep my prep burden light. I like the folio format pretty well, too.

Davelozzi

Explorer
trollwad said:
Dont buy it. It was a very very disappointing purchase.

Too late, I already bought it, I was just looking for some discussion about it. Stormborn & Rafael, thanks for the links, I will check them out (but don't let that stop anyone who has more to say about it here, I'm still reading).

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Buy it. It was a very very worthwhile purchase. :)

Right. I posted in the other threads here at EN World on this adventure but if I had to add something it would be: pay attention to each of the capsule descriptions of all the locations around the valley. They were written enough so as I read I "saw" them immediately. And each one is ripe with instant adventure hooks. Enough to keep the players busy a long time.

-DM Jeff

Remove ads