[news] College students nailed for illegal music downloads

I think I will print this out and show everyone at work and my friends since They think I am too "wound up" about copyrights.........

GlassJaw

Hero
Old news. This has been going on for a while.

If you want to get some real in-depth coverage of anything and everything copyright-related, go to www.arstechnica.com. It's seriously one of the best sites on the web for tech news. Some of the stuff on there will blow your mind.

Nyaricus

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
Too political, I ain't touchin' it.
I'll only say this: they are bullying kids who really can't afford such things. Why rag on the people who are going to collage who are supposedly the future of America? That seems silly, to me.

Silly, silly world.

cheers,
--N

Jesus_marley

First Post
I don't know much about how the US is handling this sort of thing, but in Canada, all blank recordable media (cassetes, CDs, DVDs, digital storage devices, etc.) are assessed with a levy (included in the sticker price) by the recording industry.

Jesus_marley said:
I don't know much about how the US is handling this sort of thing, but in Canada, all blank recordable media (cassetes, CDs, DVDs, digital storage devices, etc.) are assessed with a levy (included in the sticker price) by the recording industry.
No, we don't do that here. However, when the RIAA calculates damages caused by copyright infringement (those multi-billion dollar figures they throw around), they do assume that every single CD-R sold in the US is used to create bootleg music discs that creates lost sales of CD's.

Remove ads