Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

Fieari

Explorer
Loks like Hollow Toughness is divine to me.

Untouchable? I'm not sure, mostly because it's one of those things that is so good, I can't imagine not taking it. I'd guess Divine, but might need more prereqs.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think that Hollow Toughness is worth a sub-epic feat, at most. Plenty of monsters in the MMIII have Unholy Toughness as a special ability (which is the same thing), and they're not even epic monsters, let alone deities. That seems to peg the power level of that particular ability.

Alzrius said:
I think that Hollow Toughness is worth a sub-epic feat, at most. Plenty of monsters in the MMIII have Unholy Toughness as a special ability (which is the same thing), and they're not even epic monsters, let alone deities. That seems to peg the power level of that particular ability.

Then again, it potentially grants a huge increase in hit points for construct and undead deities. I've always thought that the Ersatz and Undeath divine abilities penalized you rather than benefited you, because the loss of bonus hit points is a real blow to your hit point total. Consider that a 100 HD greater deity with 88 Constitution (Legendary Constitution) has 5,900 hp, whereas a 100 HD greater deity with no Constitution score has only 2,000 hp. A 120 HD elder one with 120 Constitution (Legendary Constitution) has 74,400 hp, while a 120 HD elder one with no Constitution score has only 48,000 hp.

Of course, the Cosmic Toughness and Transcendental Toughness abilities make the gap a bit smaller, but a greater deity with Cosmic Toughness and a Constitution score will still obviously have more hp than a greater deity with Cosmic Toughness and no Constitution score, and an elder one with Transcendental Toughness and a Constitution score will have more hp than an elder one with Transcendental Toughness and no Constitution score.

Also, I only noticed now that immortals don't have any hp multipliers at all. This results in a gigantic leap in hp from greater deities to elder ones. Is this intentional?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The potential increase in hit points brings construct and undead deities in line with other deities, in terms of hit points. It shouldn't alter their CR because, IMHO, it makes their CR actual be worth what it's listed as.

In other words, not having those bonus hit points seems like it should be a CR penalty, if anything. Having a feat that plugs that gap then negates the penalty, and makes their CR be the same as living deities of equivalent power.

That's what I think at least. It was significant to me that WotC started giving all of their undead creatures unholy toughness, so I'm assuming that was the reason.

Howdy Adslahnit dude! :)

Adslahnit said:
Divine or cosmic?

HOLLOW TOUGHNESS (EX)
Your force of personality physically fortifies your being.
Prerequisites: No Constitution score.
Benefit: Your Charisma modifier replaces your Constitution modifier to determine bonus hit points, thus letting you receive bonus hit points from your Hit Dice even without a Constitution score.
Normal: You do not receive bonus hit points from your Hit Dice without a Constitution score.

Cosmic or transcendental?

UNTOUCHABLE (EX)
Your stalwart shell repels all who would dare lay a finger on you.
Prerequisites: Carapace, Exoskeleton, Hyperostosis, Squamous.
Benefit: Your natural armor bonus applies to touch attack rolls made against you.
Normal: Touch attack rolls made agains your ignore your natural armor bonus.

EDIT: Hollow Toughness should use your Charisma modifier, not your Wisdom modifier.

Hollow Toughness is hard to determine. Theres a case for just making it a feat, although balance probably dictates it should be a Divine Ability. Difficult to see which is correct.

Untouchable sounds Divine.

The problem with Undead and Constructs at high and epic levels is a big one. As Alzrius mentioned even WotC started using Unholy Toughness for all their undead. So clearly for them the trade off half(?) hit points or less vs. crittability wasn't working. Its good to see undead with Constitution in 4E, since it could mean hardiness rather than simply just health.

beej

Explorer
Hey guys, i was thinking of using Spell Compendium's metal Domain as a portfolio, and I was wondering; can you suggest an opposed portfolio for it?

Thanks!

I'm getting really annoyed at how the Nullification cosmic ability effectively makes casters useless due to the loss of metamagic feats and Automatic Metamagic Capacities, makes monks capable of dealing only subdual damage and makes them provoke an AoO upon every attack due to the loss of Improved Unarmed Strike, and restricts fighters to wielding only one weapon due to the loss of the Two-Weapon Fighting and Three-Weapon Fighting feat chains. Is the Nullification cosmic ability really intended to arbitrariliy favor two-handed weapon fighters and [Effect]-users?

I've got a proposed set of feats and abilities that are solely meant for immortals that don't want their builds completely wrecked by abilities like Abrogate and Nullification:

Feat: SAFEGUARD (EX)
One of your feats can never be separated from you.
Benefit: Upon taking this epic feat, choose one other feat that you possess. This choice cannot be changed. Your chosen feat cannot be negated by effects that would suppress it, such as the Abrogate cosmic ability, the Nullification cosmic ability, or the Dead Zone transcendental ability (if it is a supernatural feat). It still functions normally under any of these conditions. Safeguard itself cannot be affected by any of these conditions as well.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take Safeguard, it applies to a different feat that you possess.

Divine Ability: DIVINE SAFEGUARD (EX)
One of your divine abilities can never be separated from you.
Benefit: Upon taking this divine ability, choose one divine ability that you possess. This choice cannot be changed. Your chosen divine ability cannot be negated by effects that would suppress it, such as the Abrogate cosmic ability, the Divine Nullification transcendental ability, or the Dead Zone transcendental ability (if it is a supernatural divine ability). It still functions normally under any of these conditions. Divine Safeguard itself cannot be affected by any of these conditions as well.
Special: You can gain this divine ability multiple times. Each time you take Divine Safeguard, it applies to a different divine ability that you possess.

Cosmic Ability: COSMIC SAFEGUARD (EX)
One of your cosmic abilities can never be separated from you.
Benefit: Upon taking this cosmic ability, choose one cosmic ability that you possess. This choice cannot be changed. Your chosen cosmic ability cannot be negated by effects that would suppress it, such as the Abrogate cosmic ability, the Cosmic Nullification omnific ability, or the Dead Zone transcendental ability (if it is a supernatural cosmic ability). It still functions normally under any of these conditions. Cosmic Safeguard itself cannot be affected by any of these conditions as well.
Special: You can gain this cosmic ability multiple times. Each time you take Cosmic Safeguard, it applies to a different cosmic ability that you possess.

Transcendental Ability: TRANSCENDENTAL SAFEGUARD (EX)
One of your transcendental abilities can never be separated from you.
Benefit: Upon taking this transcendental ability, choose one transcendental ability you possess. This choice cannot be changed. Your chosen transcendental cannot be negated by effects that would suppress it, such as the Abrogate cosmic ability or the Dead Zone transcendental ability (if it is a supernatural cosmic ability). It still functions normally under any of these conditions. Transcendental Safeguard itself cannot be affected by any of these conditions as well.
Special: You can gain this transcendental ability multiple times. Each time you take Transcendental Safeguard, it applies to a different transcendental ability that you possess.

Omnific Ability: OMNIFIC SAFEGUARD (EX)
One of your omnific abilities can never be separated from you.
Benefit: Upon taking this omnific ability, choose one omnific ability you possess. This choice cannot be changed. Your chosen omnific ability cannot be negated by effects that would suppress it, such as the Abrogate cosmic ability or the Dead Zone transcendental ability (if it is a supernatural omnific ability). It still functions normally under any of these conditions. Omnific Safeguard itself cannot be affected by any of these conditions as well.
Special: You can gain this omnific ability multiple times. Each time you take Omnific Safeguard, it applies to a different omnific ability that you possess.

Also, I've noticed that at around the 70 HD intermediate deity mark (ECL 130), the scythe becomes the absolutely greatest two-handed weapon ever due to the Perfect Critical, Perfect Critical Multiplier, and Uncanny Weapon Specialization cosmic abilities working especially well for weapons with an x4 critical multiplier. With those 3 cosmic abilities and a scythe, 75% of your attacks have a x16 damage multiplier, while 25% of your attacks have a x256 damage mulitiplier. Insane. Anyway, here's a divine ability that allows immortals to not feel left out when wielding a weapon other than a scythe.

Divine Ability: WEAPON FLEXIBILITY (EX)
A weapon in your hands is any type of weapon imaginable.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +30, Eclectic Shot, Eclectic Strike, Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Weapon Focus, Weapon Mastery, Weapon Specialization.
Benefit: Any manufactured weapon wielded by you deals bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, chosen by you at the time of each attack. Once per round (per weapon you wield) as a free action, you may change the properties of a weapon you wield into the respective properties for a weapon of the same size, density, and handedness. The weapon reverts to its original properties once it leaves your hands.
eg. Thrin could simultaneously take three free actions to change the properties of his three Medium 1/32,768th orichalcum longswords into the properties of three Medium 1/32,768th orichalcum heavy picks. This turns the weapons' properties from 2d8/19-20 damage to 2d6/x4 damage.
This ability can even turn non-reach weapons into reach weapons, and vice versa.
eg. Odin could take a free action to change the properties of his Medium 1/4,096th orichalcum longspear into the properties of a Medium 1/4,096th orichalcum scythe. This turns the weapon's properties from 4d6/x3 damage to 4d6/x4 damage. It also turns the weapon into a non-reach weapon that can be used to trip opponents.
This ability only affects the base properties of weapons. It does not affect enhancement bonuses or magic weapon special abilities.

In the process of statting up a character from a particular game, I decided that I needed to create a new cosmic ability just to simulate said character's signature ability, a cosmic version of Transmortality with a fatal flaw. You see, at one point in the game, the main characters went out to challenge a particular intermediate deity-level human. This human was akin to a phoenix, in that she possessed fire-based powers, and each time she perished, she was instantly revived back to full health. After being slain 11 times though, she yielded, because her body was so worn-out that she would presumably be knocked unconscious after being killed the 12th time. In other words, she would still revive after being killed in this unconscious state, although she would of course be knocked out all the while, and it would take a few days for her to regain consciousness. No, it can't be Cosmic String, because Cosmic String does not work that way, and the character is known to be unkillable even by more powerful beings.

So, here's the cosmic ability I came up with:

Cosmic Ability: COSMIC REVIVAL (EX)
You can push your body and soul to overcome your own destruction, although not without a cost.
Prerequisites: Con 70.
Benefit: Any time your manifestation is destroyed, you instantly revive with full hit points and no level loss, and you resume your place in the initiative order. However, upon revival, you take special Strength and Dexterity damage equal to 1/X your base Strength and Dexterity scores respectively (not taking into account magic items and artifacts), where X is 1/3rd of your divine rank (round up). This ability damage cannot be prevented by any means, even by immunity to ability damage, although incorporeal creatures ignore the Strength damage.
eg. Thrin the intermediate deity (divine rank 12) has a base Strength of 83 (not counting his Belt of Giant Strength) and a base Dexterity score of 34. Upon revival, he would take unavoidable 21 Strength damage and 9 Dexterity damage.
If both your Strength and Dexterity reach 0 (magic items and artifacts are ignored for this purpose), or if your Dexterity score reaches 0 as an incorporeal creature, you are knocked unconscious and helpless, even if immunities would normally make you unable to be knocked unconscious. You still revive immediately if you are killed in this state, although you do not take further ability damage and you do not regain consciousness.
You regain 1 Strength and 1 Dexterity at the same rate that you would rejuvenate 1 HD (see Table 2-8 on page 24), and once you are back at your original Strength and Dexterity scores, you regain consciousness. If you have Legendary Strength, you regain twice the amount of Strength each time, and if you have Legendary Dexterity, you regain twice the amount of Dexterity each time. The special ability damage cannot be removed by any other means, such as a greater restoration spell, and you cannot regain consciousness by any other means as well.
eg. Thrin the intermediate deity regains 2 Strength per hour thanks to his Legendary Strength, as well as 1 Dexterity per hour. Once Thrin is back at 83 Strength and 34 Dexterity, he regains consciousness.
Special: This cosmic ability may be selected multiple times. Each additional time you take Cosmic Revival, the ability damage is halved (rounded up). In this case, a half of a half is a fourth.
eg. With three copies of Cosmic Revival, Thrin the intermediate deity would only take 6 Strength damage and 3 Dexterity damage on each revival.

I set it up so that this intermediate deity character would need to take three copies of Cosmic Revival in order to have roughly 12 "lives" before being knocked unconscious. Do you think it's a fairly balanced cosmic ability? Or would it be better if X were instead equal to your divine rank, 1/2 your divine rank, 1/3rd your divine rank, or 1/4th your divine rank? Which would be the most balanced?

To sum up my previous post, how many "lives" should this cosmic ability give an immortal each time it's taken? A number of "lives" equal to the immortal's divine rank, 1/2 the immortal's divine rank, 1/3rd the immortal's divine rank, or 1/4th the immortal's divine rank? Keep in mind that the immortal gets weaker and weaker as he burns through his "lives".

Remove ads