Least Belivable aspect of D&D?

What is the least belivable aspect of D&D?

• Abudance of Magic items

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Abudance of Monsters

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Abudance of Dungeons with monsters and magic items inside

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • Abudnace of Evil Gods that want to destroy the world

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Magic mechanics (how it works in the game)

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other Planes cosmology (That whole manual of planes)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Alignment system

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • A Character class or classes

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 32 19.9%

Storm Raven

First Post
Ruvion said:
But seriously, I don't think this is possible even in matrix (but we'll have to wait and see matrix 2 to be sure :D )!

And there are D&D specific magical effects in Matrix? Sure there may be some things that seem similar to a fireball spell in Matrix (or some other spell you can think of), but there are no actual D&D specific spells being cast in the movie.

I wouldn't expect there to be either. But translating something from a movie that has no relationship to D&D whatsoever in an effort to justify or criticize D&D mechanics concerning reactions to entirely imaginary magical spells seems really kind of silly to me.

Ruvion

First Post
Uhhmmm...Storm Raven, I was being sarcastic with the matrix blurb. I can not compare two "out of this worlds" with any amount of real seriousness without cracking up...:rolleyes:

But, I still find that contortist image to be very funny. Our group always imagined area effect spells (abilities) to be a circular (or "what have you" other geometrical shapes) blast effect that was 5 foot off the floor: this enabled the extra dextrous monk or rogue to leap off the ground when the spell hits the party. :D

Victim

First Post
I don't really find the number of magic items to be unrealistic. Mid level characters can start creating things, and those items will tend to stick around for awhile. Rolling a one on certain kinds of saves might destroy an item, as would rust monster attacks and deliberate destruction. None of these things would be very likely, IMHO. Also, certain institutions might place some effort into craeting items. For example, a church might have retired priests craft blessed weapons so the current champions can defeat fiends and undead.

However, there are quite a few problems with magic items besides the quantity. First of all, why are so many useful items just sitting someplace, gathering dust? Any creature with 1/2 a brain would use obviously magic items if and could, not leave them sitting in horde.

Also, magic item creation requires a substancial investment in education, resources and life essense. Usually, the benefits out weight the rewards. However, because item creation can a drain, why would anyone create crappy magic items. It seems to me that some magic item types are so useful that anyone who could afford to would make them. For example, items such as Boots of Speed are much loved by PC adventurers, yet they don't seem to be as common in the world as their cost effectiveness and utility would indicate. Many parties with ambitious item creating might ALL have boots of speed, or striding and springing.

The lack of effects magic and other game rules seem to have on society is probably the biggest believability problem. If 4 5th level people can take out 10 times their number of 1st level people, then where's the effect on warfare? "Blah-Blah, the other other army will also have its 5th group, so they'll engage each other and leave the 1st level guys to fight it out." Complete BS. If that's the case, why doesn't the US army field children with slingshots? If the battle was equal force, then the additional force of crappy units could tip the scales, right? I don't recall Russian units in WWI composed of mostly unarmed peasants achieving much.

On many dnd worlds, there seems to be a god of truth or justice. Priests of this god would have an interest in trials, or it would be a duty for them to oversee them. They might have their powers stripped if they lied. The spells that detect falsehoods don't suffer from false positives, only false negatives, so there's almost no risk of sending the wrong person to jail/headsman, only in letting the giulty party escape. Even if you only catch people unready to counter truth magics, it's still an improvement. Finally, just as magic exists to allow some to evade the spells, some truth seekers use some counter-counter measures. Subjects could be dispelled a few times, asked to remove all items, have detect magic cast, held long enough for lingering magics to fade, etc.

Sodalis

First Post
the fact that there is no face in the game... a creature a thousand feet long and 100 ft wide can turn and face any direction it chooses...

Victim:
Also, magic item creation requires a substancial investment in education, resources and life essense. Usually, the benefits out weight the rewards.

the rewards are often great. If you have a typical group (rog, rftr, wiz, sorc, clr, barb, rgr) then the cleric and wiz can help each other (usually the clr has the craft feats and the wiz can help cast the spells at creation time) and make a lot of wands (fireball, lightning, dispel, cure...) and so the ranger (div) and the rogue (arc) can use those wands as a caster in their own rights while the ftr and the barb hold teh front lines.... a couple thousand invested in wands can turn the whole game... especially in a wartype situation...

plus, the wiz can then concentrate more on utility spells and not worry about slots taken up by fireball and Lbolt

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Uh, none of the above. Most of the elements in the poll are more of a consequence of campaign decisions than D&D itself. I disagree that there is anything unbelievable about the default amount of magic in 3e given the more universal availability of item creation (2e, which required a 6th level spell... higher for permanent items... and con drain, was unbelievable.)

BenBrown

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Back to the topic--

My vote isn't on the poll: it's RESSURRECTION.

Kills verisimilitude dead.

I knew there was something that wasn't on the list that was a pet peeve of mine. Thanks.

I guess it's not bugging me right now because it hasn't become an issue in my current game, but relatively easy access to resurrection magic takes some of the sting out of death.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Actually, I find the entire game pretty unbelievable, which is why I enjoy it. It's the same reason I like fantasy novels, as a break from the often depressing world of the newspapers and non-fiction.

Game-wise, I had a problem for a long time with the prevalence of magical items in most campaigns, without a clear explanation of how they were created in 1e/2e. At first I thought that the 3e system would only exacerbate the problem (now _everybody's_ going to have +x items and fifty potions), but after a while with the new system I find that I don't mind it as much. I think that the XP requirement puts a natural cap on the production of items (particularly high-power items) in the long run. At least it fits together in a logical fashion, IMHO.

I think the beauty of the game system is that it is so easily customizable. DMs and players who don't like a certain aspect can tailor the game to their tastes. I personally ran low-magic campaigns for years, and I think some of the players actually preferred it when they had to leave their characters weighed down with items behind.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Ruvion said:

This just conjurered a funny image in my head...Trying to imagine our rogue contortist trying to fit into small nooks and crannies that weren't saturated...;)

What do you think a 200 HP barbarian does when hit by a 5d6 Fireball? Pretty much the same thing a a scrawny 3rd level Rogue does who successfully uses Evasion. They both miraculously take no noticeable damage. At least that is what it looks like to the eyes of the 1st level Commoner.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases