Item cards

Edgewood

First Post
I have been trying to decide whether to use item cards for magic items in my campaign. I know that Paizo has the Gamemastery line of illustrated cards and I know that TOGC has their line of item cards as well. Which is more useful in your opinion? I believe that the TOGC cards are customizable in that you can enter information onto the cards while the Gamemastery line is static. What's your opinion?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Make your own. Google image search for things like rings, amulets, and swords. There's plenty of stuff out there. The net effect will be the same.

Or buy a couple hundred 3x5 index cards and (horrors) use a pen to make them up.

In the one campaign where a DM used them, they worked well up to about 10th level. Then a player's stack of cards could become unwieldy. But it is great for knowing who has the wand of CLW.

Rokes

First Post
I use the GameMastery Item Cards and my players love them!

When they kill something relatively important, I hand them a sealed envelope. Inside is a bunch of unidentified goodness.

The production value is outstanding, and given that each card only has a description of what it looks like, the actual properties are left up to you.

JustKim

First Post
I bought two different decks and a few packs (~$30), and I wasn't really impressed with the artwork. I felt it was bland, like the kind of things you find at very low levels in video games. If I handed out those cards for every major item my players found, I'm afraid they would end up some pretty homely dressed heroes and we would regret using the cards.

I also noticed that some artwork is reused across different series, and I thought that was really crummy. I mean, if you buy the Magic Items deck and the whole set of Dragon's Hoard (or whatever, I don't recall), and 5 of the 52 cards are identical, that is significant.

Still, I'm going to hold on to them and hope I can use them for something.

SiderisAnon

First Post
You can add to and change the TOGC cards. I'd recommend getting both their demo download of Complete Item Cards and their Blank Item Cards from their web site as this will let you know if your software is up to making the changes you want.

I mostly design my own cards because too many of my magic items are customized. Over the years, I've built up a large stock of cards and of various images, including clip-art, that I use. It takes more work this way, but if you have the time and you'd enjoy the work, it creates a much more personalized game.

Remove ads