A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Trouvere

Explorer
Phoenix8008 said:
OOC: I assume then (since no one posted at all about it) that no one wishes to contribute for a party owned wand of Cure Light Wounds? Kurgahz is also able to cast Endure Elements, but again is very limited as to what else he can do each day.
OOC: I think that that would be a good use of funds - Conuld did mention it IC a while back, but no one took him up on it then either.

Solange

First Post
OOC: We've been more worried about OOC travel stuff. Once we get an idea of that, I've been hoping to do the actual shopping and discussion IC. I've no problem contributing a little bit of my personal funds for the wand.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC 0: ]Clerics and wizards can use magic.
[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC 5: ]Powerful clerics and wizards have spells that can transport people far away in the blink of an eye.
[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC 10: ]Spells can go awry sometimes, and you recall stories or records of people teleporting with magic and ending up miles from their destination.
[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC 12: ]Both clerics and wizards also have magic that can transport people across the planes.
[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC 20: ]The planar transport spell is notoriously inaccurate, though it has no range limit; it can teleport people anywhere on the destination plane.
[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) DC 25: ]Clerics can transport across planes sooner than wizards can.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 10: ]Sairundan is a nation of loosely organized tribes, formed hundreds of years ago.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 12: ]Sairundan truly united under the Song of Storms United, during the first Great Orc War. The tribes of Sairundan banded together and used the song to harness the power of Wind and defeat their foes. You can recall a few lines of the Song of Storms United. Stormbrew Ale, which is served at the Red Dragon Inn, is an expensive export of Sairundan.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 15: ]The Sairundan have few cities, because they are a freedom-loving people. Historically, the right to live in the cities is usually handed off from tribe to tribe because nobody really wants to stay put. The cities are practically the only places in Sairundan that have roads that connect to the other nations. The Hurakan tribe has inhabited one city for a hundred years now.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 17: ]The Hurakan tribe actually enjoys living in the city, they are one of the few tribes who do. The Hurakan tribe is actually composed of two tribes, the Hurakan and the Tempest. Years ago, the two tribes merged, and today the tradition of marrying one high-born child of each bloodline still persists.

There is a way to get to Sairundan (and many other places all over Enworld) without traveling at all. It's the Wanderlust Inn, a gypsy caravan that teleports across Enworld at seemingly random intervals to seemingly random destinations. There's no way to predict where the Inn will show up, but when it does, it looks as though it's been there forever, and disappears within a day.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 20: ]The Haboob tribe thinks it's time for the Hurakans to leave the city and give another tribe a chance, because the Hurakan have been in the city for longer than any other tribe in history.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 22: ]The Ai Typhoon is a rogue sect of the Hurakan-Typhoon tribe, made up of people of the Typhoon bloodline who think the two tribes never should have united.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 25: ]The Ai Typhoon are responsible for some secret political strife among the Hurakan tribe.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Knowledge (Religion) DC 16: ]Powerful clerics have magic that can transport people across planes.
[sblock=Knowledge (Religion) DC 25: ]The planar transport spell is incredibly inaccurate, it can be off by hundreds of miles.
[sblock=Knowledge (Religion) DC 30: ]Clerics gain access to the planar transport spell before wizards do.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Knowledge (The Planes) DC 10: ]The Material plane is only one plane of existence, many other planes also exist, like the Plane of Fire or the Plane of Water. There is a plane for each element, and many more.
[sblock=Knowledge (The Planes) DC 15: ]Many planes touch the Material plane, including the Plane of Shadow and the Positive and Negative Planes of Energy. The Astral Plane touches every Plane.
[sblock=Knowledge (The Planes) DC 17: ]Clerics and wizards are capable of plane shifting, or transporting across different planes. From the Material Plane, a plane shift can get you to any other plane. The plane shift can be targeted at a location on the destination plane, but it is very inaccurate, sometimes only within 500 miles.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

OOC: If the Wanderlust Inn does play a role, it will probably be my initiative, not yours, so try not to dwell too long upon it. :) Unless you pass that knowledge check, pretend like your characters know nothing

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Dwarven Fighter 2 HP:23 AC:15

Trouvere said:
OOC: I think that that would be a good use of funds - Conuld did mention it IC a while back, but no one took him up on it then either.

OOC: I concur. An excellent use of party funds.

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld, human transmuter 1 (AC 12, HP 6/6)

"I think I recall that a high priest, as a favour from his god, may on occasion visit other planes of existence, but I do not see how that helps us," says Conuld. "Who would want to travel to the Plane of Shadow? That was just a flight of fancy of mine. Excuse me. Well. I do not think when I agreed to come on this journey that I realised just how far it was to Sairundan. But I will not back out now."
He starts to do rapid calculations in his head. "We can resupply ourselves until we reach the desert lands," he says. "Then another fifteen hundred miles, at least a month of travel, with no guarantee of resupply. Each horse would need... my word... 300 pounds of feed. We would require a mere 30 pounds, with no margin for delays. Then there is water. Three gallons a day for us, at least, much more for the horses. That is... 750 pounds for us alone. No, no, it is impossible. Horses cannot even carry enough water for us, let alone their own needs. We cannot take horses into the desert, unless there are oases within a day's travel all along our route. Or... but, no, that would be cruel, and expensive on horses, and we would leave a trail of corpses that would... Excuse me. Forget I said that."
Conuld scowls. "So, we have to support ourselves. Oh! I am an idiot. My friend Tommy Worthallingham, a promising young mage - more talent than myself, I think - I wish he were coming along - knows of a spell that makes harsh conditions bearable for an entire day. I considered copying it from his spellbook, but in the end, I copied the magic missile. Iconic, perhaps, but not very useful currently. Well... no doubt I can find a scroll of the former spell, and learn it. That will use up a fair proportion of my travelling allowance, though. And I can cast it, if I prepare it as many times as I can, twice in a day, perhaps three times, if I can get my head together. I think I could almost manage to keep another spell matrix in my head soon. As it is, I could protect two of us from heat, and I would have one spell left over - from a limited selection of those transmutations I know. I find those easier to memorise than others. Those protected would need no more water in the desert than we need here - a gallon a day, if we are active."
He approaches the tall half-orc Kurgahz with a nervous air. "Conuld," he says, "pleased to meet you. I hear you are our connection to the divine on our trip. I... I reverence Russna, though I would not say I am particularly devout. Who is your patron?"

OOC - shifting IC from now on, I think. We are rather going in circles.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Thanks Trouvere. Let's move back IC now that you guys have an idea of the scope.

Does anybody have knowledge geography or local? Those would be more helpful at this stage, I think.

Solange

First Post
OOC: I have knowledge Nobility and Royalty at +2. And I think you're still being a bit overanalytical Trouvere. Not sure how hard Rae is going to be on food and water, but we'll see how that goes. And we have some time till we get there.

"Magic to endure the elements could be handy in the desert. I know a few tricks of the desert as well which may help. And as it is a dangerous trip, perhaps a trinket to help heal in case we suffer wounds during the trip? I think we can all afford to contribute to one. Let's see, the place Joe sent me too is right there, I'll be right back."

Shadya walks into the office with her note from Joe, and emerges with a bag of coin. She counts out and hands each of the party members their 40 dragons, and tucks some away for herself. "We should take the day to prepare, and we can leave on the morrow. I'll purchase some food, water, and feed for horses, but I think we all must get some kind of horse for the trip, and it may be wise to bring some of your own supplies as well. If anyone has any specific suggestion as to what I should purchase for the trip, they are welcome to tell me, or come along with me. Otherwise, we can meet back here before sundown, and plot our course of travel."

Shadya will keep the travel budget in a separate pouch and purchase the following from it.
Code:
[B]Item		Q	Cost	Weight[/B]
Light Warhorse	1	150	0
Pack Saddle	1	5	15
10' Pole	2	0.4	16
Crowbar		1	2	5
Feed (1 Day)	24	1.2	240
Hooded Lantern	2	14	4
Oil Flasks	10	1	10
Piton		10	1	5
Ration (1 day)	24	12	24
Rope (50' Coil)	2	20	10
Shovel		1	2	8
Waterskins	24	24	96
[B]Total			232.6	433[/B]
She will also purchase for herself:
Code:
[B]Item		Cost	Weight[/B]
Shadya		-	141
Light Warhorse	150	-
Military Saddle	20	30
Saddlebags	4	8
Waterskins (5)	5	20
Arrows (20)	1	3
Rations (10)	5	10
Feed		0.05	10
[B]Total		185.05	222[/B]
She will donate 150 gold towards the wand as well.

OOC: Weights are in there for the horse.

Remove ads