LoTR system based casting system for D&D

DungeonMaester

First Post
Although I am not a big fan of LotR its self, I was introduced to the roleplaying system put out by a company I had never heard of before and ended up falling in love with they way magic is casted.

Because the LotR system uses a Gurps like system of point buying I figured on using a twisted version of the mana points I introduced before. This is the basic outline.

Mana points: The total of spell cast a day + Bonus spells from caster ability.

Buying spells:

(1) Practiced: These are the spell casters that have to read a spell book. Practice spells casters start off with all 0 level spells and knowledge of first level spells equal to there caster abilty modifier. All other spells can be bought at one point per spell level. (example: Learning a 3rd level spell cost 3 mana points.)

(2) Innate: Innate casters have the natural ability to cast spells. Innate casters must buy all the spells they know at the cost of the spell level+1.

(3) Spontaneous casters: Caster do not need to learn spells, just know of them. They are granted through a deity or other divine power.

Remaining points
It is important not to use all your points buying spells. The reaming points are used to cast spells through out the day.

Reading Spells:
Casters ready spells taking a hour to prepares spells equal to there int bonus x4. At any point in the day a caster can take five min to hastily prepare spells. This causes all the spell already known to be forgotten, and the caster can choose spell equal to there int bonus to be ready. Spontaneous caster need not worry about this option.

Casting spells:
Casting a spell cost a different amount as per caster type. the formula for cost is (Base+1+spell level)

Spontaneous: 3+1+Spell level
Innate: 1+1+Spell level
Practiced: 2+1+Spell level

Metamamgic:

Prepared ahead of time, with the exception for spontaneous casters. You can use your manna pool to modify one spell permentaly with a metamagic which will lower the cost by the amount that it would normal cost to cast. For example, a meta Magic Missile powered with silent spell modified with it cost 1 point less then normal. A Innate caster would then only have to use 2 manna point to cast magic missile rather then 3. Spells always cost at least one point to cast, no matter the amount of metamagic they are modified with.

Regaining mana points.
Characters only regain there mana points back with 8 hours of rest. However, one a day, you can choose to lose all remaining spell prepared and empty your mana pool to regain mana points equal to your caster level+caster ability modifier.

Regaining spells readied:
When you cast a spell, you make a will save vrs the spell in order to remember it after it was casted. Spells that are permentaly modified with meta magic save is the normal spell level minus the meta points to a minimum of 1.

Spell casting:
Spells for this system imply that there is only a a verbal and somatic component for casting. the only spell that need a material component are spells with a Focus or a expensive cost (such as diamonds for resurrection)

Thoughts?
---Rusty

Last edited:

Remove ads