Heart of Fire

Patlin

Explorer
When you activate the Fire Shield component of the heart of fire spell, does the "fire based protection only" language mean you get a chill shield as opposed to a warm shield? Or is it the other way around?

Voadam

Legend
Patlin said:
When you activate the Fire Shield component of the heart of fire spell, does the "fire based protection only" language mean you get a chill shield as opposed to a warm shield? Or is it the other way around?

good question
This spell converts part of your body into elemental fire, which speeds your step and toughens your flesh. You gain a +10-foot enhancement bonus to your land speed and resistance to fire 20. Furthermore, while this spell is active, you can activate a fire shield effect (as the spell; fire-based protection only) on yourself as a swift action. This benefit lasts for 1 round per level, at the end of which time the spell's entire effect ends.

from fire shield
This spell wreathes you in flame and causes damage to each creature that attacks you in melee. The flames also protect you from either cold-based or fire-based attacks (your choice).

So I think it is the chill shield version based on the similar use of language.

Chill Shield
The flames are cool to the touch. You take only half damage from fire-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, you take no damage on a successful save.

So it gives you 20 fire resistance and then with the shield active you get effectively improved fire evasion as well.

Patlin

Explorer
Oh... so you're saying that it doesn't damage people that attack you in melee? I had thought that you didn't have a choice between chill and warm, but that it otherwise acted normally.

Voadam

Legend
No, by my reading it still blasts anybody who melees you. I'm saying you don't have the choice between the two normal fire shield options, fire based protection or cold based protection, you just get the fire based protection without the normal choice. So your protections are fire resistance 20, greater fire evasion and fire damage to anybody who melees you.

I just played in a game recently where I used this and the fire shield fire damage was key to my eldritch knight beating the black dragon he was melee fighting.

Patlin

Explorer
That's the wierd thing, though... if you get fire base protection, that would mean chill shield, right? And wouldn't that mean cold damage? Sort of odd for "Heart of Fire."

Remove ads