Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, went over them.
Here's something for everyone:
under your 'combat' section, could you show how much of your attack/defense and saves(fort/ref/will) is Base(bought), and how much is from abilities/feats/powers?
(See Drothgery or Shayuri's for examples of how I like the breakdown)

ALSO, NOTE: Extras are +cost PER rank. Flaws are -cost per rank. Feats are bought on a 1 for 1 basis. Drawbacks are just a flast X pp back. Feats/Drawback costs are NOT based on the rank of the power.

And now onto specifics
[sblock=Wi-FI]
you only spent 24 points on your Abilities. (You reduced str to 9, which gives you 1 extra point, i think that's what threw the math off) I would suggest another 1 to int, making it 16. that seems fitting with the char. concept.
Why do you have 14 defense? did you buy 4 points of base defense? (If so, your touch should be 14 and your flat-footed should be 12)
You have no toughness listed (Or is that what Damage +7 is supposed to be?)
Rest looks good.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Gwen]
AKA spider-chick. ;)
Saves:
You bought toughness out of your Saves pool, but it can't be bought like that, it has to be bought as a power, or as Constitution.
Powers:
why enhanced dex 11? That leaves you with an odd score, why not 10 or 12?
With your Super-senses (Precog/Postcog), Uncontrolled is only a -1 flaw, not -2, meaning they'd still cost 3 each (4 normally).
Your Telepathy AP: Mental Blast costs 3pp/rank with Unreliable(4pp normal), so since your array has 16pp, that means your mental blast is only rank 5. Are you sure you want that?
ALso, one thing about your webs - Since the blast and Swinging are dynamic, but the snare isn't, that means you can have either Snare active, or Blast, or Swinging, or a combination of blast AND swinging, but not snare and either swinging or blast... FOr an additional 1 pp, you can make the snare effect dynamic as well.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Quarterback/Paragon]
First, I'm not using the optional wealth-roll rules, so just taking 1 rank in Benefit: Wealth is enough to show that your character is rich. Two ranks would be EXCEEDINGLY wealthy, while 3(for example) would be a millionaire. Perhaps you should switch it out for Benefit: Fame/stats (which would fit in with your complication... not EVERYBODY can hate you.)
Also, since you have your 'protection' as a costume, you may want to buy it as a device, or at least take the noticeable drawback on it.

Other than that, the characters good, and btw, I love your set-up. very easy to read and add. (The character concept, btw, is also one of my favourites so far).
[/sblock]

[sblock=Calypso]
Are your extra ranks of Rage to add duration or stats? I ask mainly b/c Rage doesn't allow you to exceed PL limits.
You may want to take immunity 1(drowning).
Looks good.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Desert Ghost]
You only spent 91 of your skill points, you've got 1 left over if you want it.

You made a mistake on the Disintegration btw, it should've be: 5pp/rank, -1/rank range, X 15 ranks = 60pp. -1 for Full POwer = 59. Full Power isn't a -1/rank FLAW, it's a -1 DRAWBACK (Drawbacks, like feats, are not based on rank, they're just straight up +/- X pp to cost).
I would suggest going with Corrosion(3pp/rank, and is basically a touch-range disintegration) and dropping the Full Power drawback. It basically means nothing changes, but the math works out correctly.
(I assume since you have a rank 15 damage effect that you made an Attack/Save DC Trade-off? If so, please mention it on your character sheet.)
Also, your combat section lists your disintegration attack as Fort+15/Toughness+20. That's a little misleading(I know what you mean, but it's slightly confusing. The toughness DC isn't 20 higher, its still "+15", it's just that toughness BASE Dc's are 15.) Just for the record, My calculations show it as a DC25 fort save (10+rank) followed by a DC30 Toughness(15+rank). Maybe you should just write it like that.
Finally, I see you have a rank in Equipment, but don't have your equipment listed..
[/sblock]

[sblock=Llorona]
(isn't Llorona the spanish name for a woman who killed her children and then became a ghost?)
OK, well first off, your Invisibility and Flight need a PERMANENT duration (which is no cost change for either), b/c they're linked to your insubstantial, which is ALSO permanent (LInked has to all have same duration & Range). ALso note that this means unless you're concentrating on NOT being so, you are always 'not there' (Invisible & Insubstantial), and that you CAN'T turn invisible OR fly when you're 'manifesting'(Being corporeal).

Also, on a similar note, I just looked over your Insubstantial and have a few things to say:
I saw that you have it listed as Continuous, not Permanent, but have Permanent as a Flaw listed later on.. huh?
Also, the fact that you have Subtle on your Insubstantial when you're permanently invisible in that form makes little sense. They can't see you ANYWAYS.
The "selective" portion is technically applied to your Materialization, but that doesn't really change anything.
You took "Affects Corporeal" on your Insubstantial, but that's not how it works.. it's a bit misleading, but "affects corporeal" is actually an extra that you add to OTHER powers, to make THEM affect corporeal, it doesn't have to be added to the Insubstantial power itself.
SO, here's how I think your Insubstantial should look:

Insubstantial 4 [26pp]: Alteration, Free Action, Personal Range, Duration: Permanent(materialization), Continuous (insubstantial); Affected by Electricity. PF: Innate, Selective(Materialization) Extras: Duration: Continuous(+1), Materialize(+1, Sustained) Flaws: Permanent(-1)
LINKED: Invisibility [6pp]: Concealment (normal vision) 2, Free Action, Personal Range, Duration: Permanent; PF: Close Range, Innate; Extras: Continuous (+1); Flaws: Permanent (-1)
LINKED: Flight 4 [8pp]: Movement, Move Action (active), Personal Range, Duration: Permanent; 100mph; Extras: Continuous (+1); Flaws: Permanent (-1)

Also, RE: Death Touch - You know that with the Disease Extra, it means they don't take the Con drain until 1 day later, right?
(PLus, for your Life Control array making your eyes glow - That's basically the Noticeable Drawback, though I think that's what you were basically doing anyways).
Finally, I know it's an alt power of Life Control, but why does your ghost have Healing?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Colossus]
Just as a Side-Note, I think that Alternate form is useless. It gives you the SAME amount of power points, but you only get them when you transform... :(
You might as well just take all of them seperately, make them Sustained Duration, Linked to each other, and give Immunity and Protection the Noticeable Drawback(Skin=metal). that gets you the EXACT same outcome, with 2 extra pp. *sigh*

Other than my innate dislike for Alternate Form, however, your character looks good.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Temper]
Other than what I stated above for all (include point cost on everything) there's a couple things:

for your Protection 12 (Impervious, no knockback reduction), I wouldn't run it as a -1 FLAW, but rather a -1 DRAWBACK (As a flaw, it completely negates the extra cost of impervious, but you still gain part of the benefit).
Also, your Array:
Annihilation: (43 point array, 3 APs)

Focused Bolt: Disintegration +14 Distracting, Full Round Action, Affects Insub 1

Hellstorm: Blast Area (Cloud) +11 Progression (Increased Area) x5 (1750 ft D max), Progression (increased duration) x4 (1 hour max), Imp Range 1 (2750 ft)

Flexible, Coherent Beam: Corrosion Area (Shapeable) +10 Progression (Increased Area) 2 (50 cubes), Affects Insub 1

Feast on Destruction: Blast Vampiric +14, Incurable
First off, Disinegration : It would cost 56 points (5/rank normal, -1 distracting, -1 full round, +1 affects insubstantial = 4/rank. 4X14=56).
Hellstorm : doesn't HAVE a natural duration, thus progressing the duration would NOT increase it at all. The '1 round after duration' cloud is NOT a duration.. it specifically says it lasts for one round AFTER the duration (which on a blast is instant).
Also, what's the default save for your hellstorm? Reflex?
AND, I'd prefer to keep Increased Area's down to avoid city-killing. I'd prefer if you dropped this to Rank 4 (which would be 100'diameter/rank, or 1100' diameter, instead of the half-mile the extra rank would give you.)
Coherent Beam : Remember that since it's Touch range/Shapeable, the 5'cubes have to start in your square, and all the cubes have to be touching.

[/sblock]

Finally, I note that several of you have taken 1 point of the Language skill for only 1 or 2 languages, b/c you don't think more would be appropriate even though you're only using half the power of the point. Because of this, I'm just going to give you three (Colosus, Desert Ghost, Llorona) each a bonus : 1 free rank in the luck feat.

Jemal

Adventurer
ALSO, I just realized what Victim/Lobo had been talking about with the disintegration/Linked debate
Disintegration is NOT two linked powers, and even if it were, you'd still have to have them both active at the same time, which would increase the cost of having that power active to the same cost as it is normally. Secondly, you'd have to make the array DYNAMIC, and have enough points to run BOTH of the linked powers at the same time.

Victim

First Post
Jemal said:
OK, went over them.
under your 'combat' section, could you show how much of your attack/defense and saves(fort/ref/will) is Base(bought), and how much is from abilities/feats/powers?
(See Drothgery or Shayuri's for examples of how I like the breakdown)

[sblock=Temper]
Other than what I stated above for all (include point cost on everything) there's a couple things:

for your Protection 12 (Impervious, no knockback reduction), I wouldn't run it as a -1 FLAW, but rather a -1 DRAWBACK (As a flaw, it completely negates the extra cost of impervious, but you still gain part of the benefit).
Also, your Array:

First off, Disinegration : It would cost 56 points (5/rank normal, -1 distracting, -1 full round, +1 affects insubstantial = 4/rank. 4X14=56).
Hellstorm : doesn't HAVE a natural duration, thus progressing the duration would NOT increase it at all. The '1 round after duration' cloud is NOT a duration.. it specifically says it lasts for one round AFTER the duration (which on a blast is instant).
Also, what's the default save for your hellstorm? Reflex?
AND, I'd prefer to keep Increased Area's down to avoid city-killing. I'd prefer if you dropped this to Rank 4 (which would be 100'diameter/rank, or 1100' diameter, instead of the half-mile the extra rank would give you.)
Coherent Beam : Remember that since it's Touch range/Shapeable, the 5'cubes have to start in your square, and all the cubes have to be touching.

[/sblock]

Well, I had costed the Protection as 12 points for the protection and 6 for the Impervious (12 ranks with a -1 flaw) - showing the point cost would have helped here, I guess. That being said, 6 points probably is too much and it doesn't really do what I want anyway - which is that she'll take not just more knockback but also more frequent knockback (basically, she'd could take KB even when not Stunned). Replacing the flaw with some sort of drawback would be fine. I'll think about what to cut.

Affects Insubstancial is Power Feat, not an Extra. Affects Corporeal (the method for ghost characters to attack normal ones) is the extra.

Okay, some of the progression and duration feats on Hellstorm will be dropped. What do you mean what save it? It's a damaging attack for Toughness, but as an Area grants a Ref save for half. EDIT: Wait, did you mean drop the rank to 4, or reduce the progression feats to 4?

Yeah, I know it has to start in her square. Cone and Line type effects don't feel right when they can start away from the attacker (and the beam is kind of like a line except it can fork or change directions via arcing). Sure, there are effects that can justify ranged cones/lines, but I think the default image is that they start from the character.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Well, I had costed the Protection as 12 points for the protection and 6 for the Impervious (12 ranks with a -1 flaw) - showing the point cost would have helped here, I guess. That being said, 6 points probably is too much and it doesn't really do what I want anyway - which is that she'll take not just more knockback but also more frequent knockback (basically, she'd could take KB even when not Stunned). Replacing the flaw with some sort of drawback would be fine. I'll think about what to cut.
What kind of penalty are you wanting? I'll figure out how much of a drawback I'd be willing to give you for it.. Doing it even when she's not stunned makes no sense, b/c then you're getting thrown EVERY time something hits you. I'd be willing to go with a NO toughness adds to knockback (instead of half) as a 3-4pt drawback, but I'd prefer if it still only happened when you fail by 5 or more.

Affects Insubstancial is Power Feat, not an Extra. Affects Corporeal (the method for ghost characters to attack normal ones) is the extra.
Hmm.. Apparently even GM'S aren't infallible. OK.

Okay, some of the progression and duration feats on Hellstorm will be dropped. What do you mean what save it? It's a damaging attack for Toughness, but as an Area grants a Ref save for half. EDIT: Wait, did you mean drop the rank to 4, or reduce the progression feats to 4?
Sry, I meant were you using the Targetted or Save version? (Targetted means you make a single attack roll and compare it to the defence of ALL targets in the area, instead of them making the Reflex for half. It allows for attack/Save tradeoffs to function on AoE.)
And I meand drop Progression to 4 (100 ft diameter/rank)

Yeah, I know it has to start in her square. Cone and Line type effects don't feel right when they can start away from the attacker (and the beam is kind of like a line except it can fork or change directions via arcing). Sure, there are effects that can justify ranged cones/lines, but I think the default image is that they start from the character
Agreed. I just wanted to make sure you knew, and personally I think that the shapeable is the best way to describe it (Espeically the forking part)

Victim

First Post
Jemal said:
What kind of penalty are you wanting? I'll figure out how much of a drawback I'd be willing to give you for it.. Doing it even when she's not stunned makes no sense, b/c then you're getting thrown EVERY time something hits you. I'd be willing to go with a NO toughness adds to knockback (instead of half) as a 3-4pt drawback, but I'd prefer if it still only happened when you fail by 5 or more.

Sry, I meant were you using the Targetted or Save version? (Targetted means you make a single attack roll and compare it to the defence of ALL targets in the area, instead of them making the Reflex for half. It allows for attack/Save tradeoffs to function on AoE.)
And I meand drop Progression to 4 (100 ft diameter/rank)

Having none of the power based toughness affecting knockback works for me. Cutting 3 points should make up the difference between the drawback and flaw.

Hmm, I didn't think of targeted area. That kind of sounds like a more fitting mechanic for pounding an area with massed lightning - even a dense pattern would have more/wider gaps than a fireball. On the other hand, some attack penalties and miss chances wouldn't seem right, since she's not really aiming. It's less reliable, but can use her tradeoff feats - which is also might be a problem, since delivering a powerful attack to everyone tends to diminish the downsides to using All out Attack. I'll write up a version and think about it.

Jemal

Adventurer
It's less reliable, but can use her tradeoff feats - which is also might be a problem, since delivering a powerful attack to everyone tends to diminish the downsides to using All out Attack. I'll write up a version and think about it.
just don't forget that with an AoE THAT big, you're probably hitting your friends too, as well as innocent bystanders. (You didn't have it as Selective, which is a +1 extra when used for Area).

Shayuri

First Post
Re: Rage

Right now I have it all bonuses. Sorry that wasn't clear. +8 Str and +4 Fort and Will saves don't break any PL caps that I'm aware of. It raises Fort to +10 and Will to +8...

Re: Immunity

She's not immune to drowning though. I think it would be very HARD to drown her, since she can easily shape the water away...use her swimming power to get out...any number of things. But if she actually does inhale water...she can drown. She's a normal person other than the fact she can control water with her miiiiiiiiiind...

Well, more or less normal. :)

drothgery

First Post
Jemal said:
OK, went over them.

[sblock=Quarterback/Paragon]
First, I'm not using the optional wealth-roll rules, so just taking 1 rank in Benefit: Wealth is enough to show that your character is rich. Two ranks would be EXCEEDINGLY wealthy, while 3(for example) would be a millionaire. Perhaps you should switch it out for Benefit: Fame/stats (which would fit in with your complication... not EVERYBODY can hate you.)
Also, since you have your 'protection' as a costume, you may want to buy it as a device, or at least take the noticeable drawback on it.

Other than that, the characters good, and btw, I love your set-up. very easy to read and add. (The character concept, btw, is also one of my favourites so far).
[/sblock]

I'll reshuffle things a little tonight. Just an FYI, his 'fame' complication isn't really an 'everybody hates him' thing, it's more a 'everyone in certain circles recognizes him'. Since those circles are pretty much SoCal sports fans (who he's unlikely to encounter in/near Professor X's northeastern abode) and college football recruiting junkies (who you can find anywhere, but are a kind of small subculture), it's not all that much fame.

I'd need to shuffle some points around to get enough for a hard-to-lose Device version of a costume (1 rank = 4pp for a 5pp hard to lose Device), so I'll see how that works out.

Victim

First Post
Jemal said:
just don't forget that with an AoE THAT big, you're probably hitting your friends too, as well as innocent bystanders. (You didn't have it as Selective, which is a +1 extra when used for Area).

Well, yes, I do forsee problems occuring with the area size. However, the use of power feats (unlike extras) is optional; she could learn to scale it down after hitting everyone the first few times. But after the first few times, would she have any friends to hit? :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases