Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

Milagroso

First Post
Just to let you know, I haven't given up. I'm reading over the manual still and trying to piece together a character or two... I'm running into some roadblocks though. I'll try and have a sheet up today.

Jemal

Adventurer
Shush you, no pointing out my Errors! I am the Infallible GM!

on a more serious note, that quote was meant for IMerak (obviously) *EDITING*

Milagroso - Cool. keep working at it.

Milagroso

First Post
Problem with Density

I'm trying to create my Power Pack hybrid character and the Density power is giving me some headaches. Here is how the power is suppose to work:

The character can control the density of his molecules. He can either expand them to the point that he becomes an insubstantial cloud, or he can compress them to the point that he is nearly impervious to some damage. However, there are certain aspects to this which require some pointing out.

1) When he compresses, he does not gain a strength bonus. He remains at the same strength.
2) His weight remains the same, as he is not making himself heavier - he is only squishing together what is already there.
3) As an adverse effect to his compression, his size is reduced accordingly.

Thus, the character can shrink to the size of a doll, but his weight would still be the same, and his strength would not change. However, his molecules are so tightly compressed that physical, and maybe some energy attacks, cannot pierce his skin. (Within reason).

Now, Jemal gave me some ideas on how to make this fly in M&M but I'm having problems getting it to work together. The Density power increases weight and strength. So we don't want that. The Insubstantial power at Rank 2 is a perfect match, so there is no problem there. The Shrinking power with the +1 normal strength extra seems to do what I want, but it doesn't allot for the toughness and impervious traits you get with Density.

Now, if there was a way to take Density, add no weight and strength increase as flaws but have it directly proportional to the extent in which he shrinks while taking Insubstantial as an alternate power, then I guess it could work.

But I'm not really sure how Alternate Powers work, or Power Feats.

So, if anyone can re-explain these two things in their own words I'd appreciate it. The book isn't helping me grasp the concept.

Or, if someone can tell me just how to make the power work within the specifications I described above, I'd appreciate it. Any ideas?

Shayuri

First Post
Easy as pie.

Buy some Protection. Take the Link extra, and add Link to your Shrink power. Now whenever you Shrink, you gain protection. If you're not shrunk, you don't have it.

Boom.

Milagroso

First Post
Shayuri said:
Easy as pie.

Buy some Protection. Take the Link extra, and add Link to your Shrink power. Now whenever you Shrink, you gain protection. If you're not shrunk, you don't have it.

Boom.

So I could take

Protection 16 (16pp)
Extra: Impervious (+1)
Flaw: Physical attacks only (-1)
Linked: Shrinking

Is that how it would look on paper?

Drerek

First Post
Milagroso said:
So I could take

Protection 16 (16pp)
Extra: Impervious (+1)
Flaw: Physical attacks only (-1)
Linked: Shrinking

Is that how it would look on paper?
I think that the PP's are calculated after extras and flaws, but since they balance out, no big deal. For instance, if the flaw was not there it would be Protection 1 pp per rank + 1 extra = 2 PP's per rank.

Milagroso

First Post
Drerek said:
I think that the PP's are calculated after extras and flaws, but since they balance out, no big deal. For instance, if the flaw was not there it would be Protection 1 pp per rank + 1 extra = 2 PP's per rank.

Oh good, I was hoping I would get the math right.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Okay, both the healing and the disintegration are now full power drawbacks for 1 pp. That means if I accidentally touch an enemy with my left hand he is healed and if I accidentally touch anyone with my right hand they go POOF!

I'll probably wear gloves most of the time, and take them off only for the nasty fights were healing and/or disintegration are warranted.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Power Feats basically modify the power and act like normal feats. Kind of think of them like optional power settings that effect a power's output.

For instance lets say you had the following blast power:

Electric Blast 2 [6pp] Ranged Damage, Standard Action, Ranged, Instant Duration; PF: Affects Insubstantial, Split Attack

What the power feats does is allows you to create a +2 damage blast of electricity that can effect insubstantial targets or create a +1 blast that can affect two targets which are either corporal or insubstantial.

Alternate powers are sort of strange. They basically are like power feats which give you power points (equal to the powers total cost - AP) you use to build a power you can use instead of using your base power. The best metaphor I could think of is that Alternate Powers are like tracks on a CD in the sense that if you could only listen to one track from the same CD at a time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases