Sorcerous Bloodlines

Asmor

First Post
Just an idea I had...

At level 1, a sorcerer picks a bloodline, representing an extremely diluted, but still potent, bit of mystical heritage. This bloodline gives the sorcerer certain benefits, as well as certain drawbacks.

Dragon-blooded
The majority of sorcerers draw their power from the blood of dragons, a race which as a whole has an unusual proclivity for mating with mortal species. Dragon-blooded sorcerers tend to have forceful and intense personalities, and often have tough, leathery skin.

A dragon-blooded sorcerer gets a +1 racial bonus to his caster level when casting spells of the evocation school. In addition, at level 1, the sorcerer chooses an elemental energy type (acid, fire, electricity or cold). He gains energy resistance 5 to the chosen element, but gains a weakness to its opposed element, taking double damage from damage of that element's type, but not more than 5 additional damage. For example, if a sorcerer who'd chosen fire took 3 points of cold damage, he'd actually take 6 due to his weakness (3+3). If he later took 7 points of cold damage, he'd take 12, not 14 (7+5). Fire and cold oppose eachother; electricity and acid oppose eachother.

At level 5, a dragon-blooded sorcerer's skin toughens, adding +1 to his natural armor bonus (or granting a +1 natural armor bonus if the sorcerer doesn't already have it).

At level 10, a dragon-blooded sorcerer's energy resistance raises to 10, but may now take up to 10 additional damage to his opposed element.

At level 15, the dragon-blooded sorcerer's skin becomes scaly, granting a further +1 to his natural armor bonus.

At level 20, the dragon-blooded sorcerer becomes immune to his chosen energy type, but also gains a full weakness to the opposed element.

Fey-blooded
Some sorcerers have a streak of the seelie-- or unseelie-- running through their veins. These fey-blooded sorcerers tend to be playful and merry and, if disposed towards evil, can be quite sadistic as well. They often have light, curly hair and their eyes are frequently unusual hues such as purple, red, bright blue or bright green.

A fey-blooded sorcerer gets a +1 racial bonus to his caster level when casting spells of the enchantment or illusion schools. In addition, at 1st level the sorcerer gains DR 1/cold iron. However, if the sorcerer takes damage from cold iron, in addition to bypassing his damage reduction, the attack deals extra damage equal to the sorcerer's damage reduction. For example, if a level 1 fey-blooded sorcerer takes 5 damage from a cold iron dagger, it will be increased to 6 damage. This extra damage scales up as the sorcerer's DR /cold iron increases.

At level 5, the sorcerer's damage reduction increases to 3/cold iron. This increases by 2 for every 5 levels, until it's DR 9/cold iron at level 20.

KooriSakura

First Post
You could also use the SpellScale race from the book "Races of the Dragon". +2 cha -2 con, with low light vision and blood quickening meditations daily that give an extra spell or skill. Awsome race. Pretty much born and breed mage.

Asmor

First Post
I never got into spellscales, I just don't like the way they look.

Add in the -2 con and I'll just say no thank you.

Flobby

Explorer
Great Idea (I had a similar idea but its hasn't gone that far yet...)
For the Dragon blooded we could also change his eldrich blast to a breath attack,
and steal some invocations from the Dragon Adept class (or was it Dragon Shaman?)

You could also add a celestial-blooded and maybe even an elemental-blooded as well, (maybe even mind-flayer-blooded?).
I'll try to post some ideas soon...

Remove ads