What will 4th Edition Mean..

Dark_Figure

First Post
to ISRP? Will it change the CRT or the 'tunda at all? Or will it be more of a player by player thing? I know there will be some that will not switch, as some here still go by second edition rules, and many do not even play D&D. However, ISRP is based on D&D worlds, with possible exception of TMP, and I can't help but wonder what effect this big change will have on it. I would like to hear from my fellow RP'ers and the Magi, but I would prefer if you all left your 4th Ed. bashing at the door. This is not the place for THAT discussion. You can pick up your complaints on the way out. Thank you.

Cloaked Woman

First Post
I honestly don't think it will affect ISRP at all. as Gabe said on the other thread. We will do as we do now, work together with those who use different versions. ISRP, I believe just follows the basic guild lines for the D&D setting rooms.

Tharivious

First Post
The main issue 4E raises will probably be for the Rotunda.

It's been announced that the new material will be released in a time frame ten years ahead of the current releases, after some "Spellplague" catastrophe (which apparently explains the demise of Hallaster and will have far reaching effects on the setting) to explain a change in planar magic... or something. I loathe the setting, so I really don't know what's going to happen exactly, only what's been stated from GenCon reports on the Gleemax boards.

With Greyhawk becoming more static than before, the CRT likely won't have any continuity concerns. Same goes for Sigil, or at least it had better (I'd say I doubt if WotC wants to alienate Planescape fans, but, well, they thought the Lady of Pain was lawful neutral...). Realms, on the other hand, will either have a ten year jump, or have people bringing in material from the future that hasn't happened yet, so there is a potential continuity issue there depending on the official word.

Magi_Siani

First Post
For the Tavern it doesn't mean anything at the moment. If anything it makes the setting more stable since nothing new is added to it.

Nashira, however, will have her hands full I suspect. :)

Should be an interesting few months.

Siani

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I'll be keeping my eyes on the material and information as it comes out and only then will I be able to decide what to do with the Rotunda, though it makes sense to keep it in the same time frame as the game, I don't know that it would hurt it much to keep it as it is now. I'd like to hear patron thoughts on this, but will not be making the decision until I see some definitive proof about the time-jump etc.

Cheers!
Nash

Tharivious

First Post
What I've gleaned from frequenting the "Official" thread and the other threads in that forum:
  • The Spellplague will begin in 1385. The official year of the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book hasn't been announced yet, to my knowledge - but there will be at least a jump past the beginning of the Spellplague. I personally wouldn't be shocked to see a larger jump in time, considering that spellcasting being reworked will likely lead to a larger gap so that indigenous spellcasters can recover to some degree of efficiency.
  • Mention of the upcoming Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave has been made as a possible relation to the Spellplague.
  • The Spellplague will be an RSE (Realms Shaking Event) of a scope greater than the Time of Troubles.
  • The Spellplague is tied in with the death of Hallaster Blackcloak in the recent Undermountain adventure, saying that he was attempting to prevent it and "it went wrong".
  • Several other major NPC spellcasters are likely to share the same fate as Hallaster. I haven't seen any names specified from GenCon posts, though.
  • The Spellplague will not be addressed with a major novel line. However, the new Drizzt trilogy Salvatore has in the works (insert mandatory snide comment here) will deal with it at least in part.

It's going to be a huge change, by the sounds of it. I don't envy setting loyalists right about now. But hey, at least Realms players will get their core setting book in 2008. The next setting (95% likely to be Eberron) won't be released until 2009.

I, personally, have no opinion on what direction to take since I've never set foot in the setting, but I'm happy to bring what information I can. ;)

Magi_Siani

First Post
Should be interesting to see. I have all of the FR setting material, but I haven't played in it since its 1st edition. I liked that one, it was far less developed.

I suspect a lot of folk will be fascinated and thrilled, and a fair few will be annoyed to one degree or another. Any kind of setting shakeup on that scale causes a lot of reaction, often extreme.

Siani

Khaira

First Post
Blech. That's what I have to say ...

Waterdeep seems to be getting hit hard, especially (well, okay, the entire Realms seems to be getting hit hard). The death of Khelben, the death of Halaster, suddenly making Undermountain open grounds for anyone and everyone ... I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they suddenly do away with Piergieron and the majority of the Lords of Waterdeep. I'm dreading even knowing what said 'Spellplague' is, but it doesn't sound very enticing.

I suppose the Time of Troubles and the Myrkul's Legions calamity happened only some twenty years ago, and it's time for another "Will Waterdeep stay standing" calamity.

Dark_Figure

First Post
Well, we still have about a year before it matters, so I guess we should not get all worked up yet. I am interested in peoples opinions about how it should be treated here.

Remove ads