E6: The Game Inside D&D

kevin_video

Explorer
I have nothing against LA buy-off, and I'll be allowing it in my campaign, but only if they have something that's LA +5 (ie it'll be bought off at lvl 3). However, I don't mind anyone taking any kind of race in my campaign because it'll all fit. I don't like limiting my players. At the same time though, I don't like making them pay for something they're never going to use. I mean, yeah they'll get to use the DR 5/magic for a while, and even a couple of third level spells, but they'll never use SLA from levels 4-9. They just won't get that high a HD.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, the Book of... ahem, the
Book of Exalted Deeds
, um, suggested lowering the LA for Half-Celestial to +3, or even +2 if the DM agrees (blah, etc.), IIRC.

edit: Personally, I believe the LA/ECL/CR system to be totally b0rken, and therefore, I - with some help from various people and documents - came up with an alternative solution. Wouldn't suit everyone - in fact, I can hear the howls already - but yeah, IMO, it works *much* better. Understatement much.

kevin_video

Explorer
Uh-huh. And that would be ...?

BTW, that special book has it listed that for every 2 HD you take, you add +1 LA. So at 5 HD, you're +4 LA, then +5 and 7 HD, and so on.

Last edited:

kevin_video

Explorer
I agree that LA is B0rk3n - always was. My Point buy thing worked for my group.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with that. I just felt that the half-celestial and half-fiend should have 0 pts for stat buys if they can't get spells like Hallow and Unhallow, or Blasphemy or Holy Word, because they can't get the HD. That lowering it to LA +3 and giving them 10 points to buy stats with might give them more than a 12 in any one stat.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Okay, I've run my PFrpg E6 game. It's going well, but the issue is that my PCs are flying through bad guys *without* magic items or uber-weapons. I've decided that giving Monsters max hp is only necessary.

Guh, PCs are murderers.

Stegyre

First Post
Okay, I've run my PFrpg E6 game. It's going well, but the issue is that my PCs are flying through bad guys *without* magic items or uber-weapons. I've decided that giving Monsters max hp is only necessary.

Guh, PCs are murderers.
Are the players having fun? If they are, it ain't broke. ;)

Seriously, this just sounds like an issue of optimization. If your players are good optimizers (and like that sort of game) they will readily trash those theoretically CR-appropriate encounters. If their having a good time, you're actually doing your job well. If you sense they'd like a little more challenge, I'd suggest raising the bar gradually until you find the sweet spot.

. . . But you probably already knew all of that.

Remove ads