New Design: Wizards...

Baumi

Adventurer
I think it really fit to the Wizard and generally like the Idea but...

-) ... I hope there will be some alternative for the Multiclass-Characters or Wizards that want to be more subtle (Enchanters, Rogue/Magic-Users,...). But I think there will be a fail-safe for such characters like Feats or another Arcane Class (Sorcerer?).

-) ... I dislike the Idea of +6 Wands. I want magic Items to give me cool Effects not numerical bonuses. Nor that the Item become so important that you have to switch your Wand/Staff/etc. in Combat if you want to cast another "type" of spell.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Baumi said:
I think it really fit to the Wizard and generally like the Idea but...

-) ... I hope there will be some alternative for the Multiclass-Characters or Wizards that want to be more subtle (Enchanters, Rogue/Magic-Users,...). But I think there will be a fail-safe for such characters like Feats or another Arcane Class (Sorcerer?).
Here's a thought..maybe this is part of their multiclass solution. Since most multiclassed wizards are going to want to use weapons of some sort that aren't staves, then you have to give up some of your casting power to do it, so even if they give you full caster levels for all your classes, then your spells will all be weaker due to not using a focus.

Li Shenron

Legend
AllisterH said:
This is the one feature of 4E I don't understand honestly. How can one make it so that a character is less dependent on magic items and yet at the same time, have it so that actually getting a magic item is an actual REWARD?

Anyone want to help me out here?

The kind of question that designers and scientists cannot answer, but marketing can :heh:

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Also, along the lines of "alternate impliments," perhaps the swordmage uses a sword instead of a staff as an impliment....

Man. I can see all kindsa flavor coming out of this...

"The wizards of the clockwork college all use staves made of purest silver, and can substitute a gear for the orb..."

Klaus

First Post
This is the first 4e change to me that doesn't *feel* like D&D at all. It's like playing some other system's mage in a D&D game.

I need more info.

Oh, and that's what, the 6th dwarf we've seen so far (and the fourth female dwarf)? Two dwarf warriors, a dwarf warlock, a dwarf rogue, a dwarf in the "against the trolls" group and now a dwarf wizard?

Li Shenron

Legend
Majoru Oakheart said:
If you limit the number of things that can stack together, then make the bonuses small enough that they don't overwhelm your normal powers but big enough to be useful, there is a small window where magic items can fit in.

Mmm... then why did 3.5 reduced the duration of buffs? Most people liked that change... but didn't it make it much more obvious to get yourself stat-boosting items rather than casting a spell? :/

Reducing the effect could be one way, but so would be to create valid alternatives to either accomplish the same thing or otherwise to be incompatible. It's not simple of course... For example, a Headband of Intellect used to cost only x^2 times 1000gp, with x = bonus to Int. What is a better purchase that is incompatible (i.e. fits on the head)? If nothing worth using the same slot is available, even by limiting the headband to +1 wouldn't stop wizards to buy it as a must-have.

Rechan

Adventurer
Stalker0 said:
I would have preferred an athame or something of that nature.
What it makes me think of is the priest from The Exorcist reading passages from the Bible while commanding the demonic possession to depart.

So imagine instead of calmly reading a book in the middle of a battle, the wizard is standing back, on a hill, as the enemy monsters charge towards him. His book is open, held with one hand, as his hand is raised in a 'Stop' motion, and as he reads the words of the book his voice is a crescendo. The wind blows, snagging his hair and his clothes, growing in intensity with his chant. And at the height of his words they halt in place, rendered dumbstruck by his awesome might.

And of course, merely Holding Up the tome is power in and of itself. As if the latent magic is a protective shield, or a force in and of itself. Just touching/holding the book itself allows the wizard to tap into the magic that saturates ever page. So it's like the arcane equivalent of holding up your holy symbol.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
A thought that strikes me about multi-classing: Maybe the Multi-classed wizard can only access one of the various abilities? So a Fighter/Wizard would be a Fighter/Wizard (Wand).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases