Putting the ACTION back in Action Points

Asmor

First Post
One oft-quoted justification for action points is that they encourage players to do heroic things like swing from chandeliers and try to jump onto the boat rapidly leaving the dock...

But, at least in my experience, the conventional wisdom is that you save your action points for saving throws and confirming crits. Certainly, I don't think that an extra 1d6 gives you that much better of a chance, particularly when you need to roll a 17, 18, 19 or even a 20 to make the check.

Therefore, I propose the following new use of action points:

Action Sequence: You may spend an action point to initiate an Action Sequence. When you initiate an action sequence, list up to 3 skill or ability checks which you intend to make within the next 3 rounds. You may assign a natural 20 to one of those checks, a natural 15 to the second, and a natural 10 to the third. You may not use these natural rolls on any checks directly involving combat, such as opposed strength checks to trip an opponent or a jump check required as part of a maneuver. You must assign at least two of the natural rolls when you initiate the action sequence, but you may leave one "floating" in case of an unexpected surprise.

Example: A tavern fight's broken out, and the halfing Riddick comes up with a plan... After discussing it with his GM, he spend an action point to initiate an action sequence. He'll make a jump check to leap to the hanging chandelier, a dexterity check to swing and propel himself back behind the giant barrel of stout dwarven lager, and a strength check to push said barrel over.

Example 2: Seeing the McGuffin floating down the raging river, Manoroth quickly formulates a plan. He initiates an action sequence to take 20 on a balance check, running across the slippery rocks barely peeking above the frothy water, trying to get into a position to intercept the bauble as it floats past, and he'll take 15 on a swim check to grab is and get back to shore before being whisked down the conveniently-placed waterfall. He doesn't need the take 10, but leaves it floating just in case.

As manoroth steps on one of the rocks, the DM, with great, terrible regret, informs manoroth that one of the rocks was unstable and slips under him as he lands on it. Manoroth will need to make a DC 15 jump check to continue with his plan, or else he'll fall to a watery, bone-crushing demise. Manoroth has no ranks in jump, but thankfully his +5 strength means that he can use the floating natural 10 to make it by the skin of his teeth! Unperturbed, the barbarian continues on, grabs the McGuffin, and makes it safely to the other side!

Riddick's got a lot of skill points in jump, so he's not worried about that one. He assigns the 10 to it. His strength score, however, is pretty bad, so he wants to assign the 20 on the strength check to tip over the barrel. This leaves the 15, which he assigns to the dexterity check.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Glad you like it! I just added a bit, allowing for a "floater" and specifying that the other rolls have to be assigned when you initiate the sequence.

joela

First Post
coolio

Asmor said:
But, at least in my experience, the conventional wisdom is that you save your action points for saving throws and confirming crits. Certainly, I don't think that an extra 1d6 gives you that much better of a chance, particularly when you need to roll a 17, 18, 19 or even a 20 to make the check.

I saw the same thing, too, with my players. I like your suggestion and see how'll work out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases