Dice Rolling for stats

Wystan

Explorer
I have an idea here. The players are the heroes right? The heroes should be bigger than life right? So why not make stats reflect that from the start.

Proposal:

Pick Your Top Three Stats and Your Bottom Three Stats.
Top Three get a target of 13, Bottom Three get a target of 11.

Roll Dice 1 at a time until you meet or exceed that target. Example

I choose Strength as one of my top three (real dice rolls follow) I roll d6 one at a time until I meet or exceed 13.
Roll 1: 5
Roll 2: 5
Roll 3: 3 (I stop here I met 13)
Then Con as my second top 3.
Roll 1: 3
Roll 2: 2
Roll 3: 6
Roll 4: 5 (I stop here I beat 13)
Then Dex as my last top 3.
Roll 1: 2
Roll 2: 3
Roll 3: 5
Roll 4: 5 (I stop here I beat 13)

I choose Int as a Bottom Three, so I roll for an 11...
Roll 1: 1
Roll 2: 1
Roll 3: 1
Roll 4: 2
Roll 5: 2
Roll 6: 5 (I stop now, this is a 12 exceeding the 11 target)
Then Wisdom...
Roll 1: 2
Roll 2: 5
Roll 3: 6 (I stop now exceeding the 11 target)
Then Cha...
Roll 1: 4
Roll 2: 1
Roll 3: 1
Roll 4: 1
Roll 5: 3
Roll 6: 2 (I stop now exceeding the 11 target)

So all stats are above average, it is possible to easily get a 16/17/18 with the good and a 12/13/14 with the low scores.

Str 13
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 13
Cha 12

Above average stats and more evenly distributed....

Just an Idea.

Hawken

First Post
That is a good way to arrive at above average stats, but it doesn't seem likely to produce anything really heroic or exceptional. It seems like a good, if time consuming method for generating NPC stats, but if I were to present something like that to my players, I don't think they'd give it serious consideration.

I don't think its being munchkin-y, but I've had more than my fair share of players who look at 12-13 as average (read, barely acceptable) and complain about anything lower. Maybe I need to find more understanding players. Maybe not.

Maybe heroes should be, at the very least, above average in their least stat, if not truly exceptional in their primary abilities. And considering how much the game revolves around these stats and how difficult/expensive it is to significantly alter them, they should start off with something beyond the average (or even exceptional) commoner.

Paraxis

Explorer
It seems like alot of work for little gain.

Point buy systems always seem to me like the best way to handle character creation.

A system I came up with a couple years ago that has worked ok, that included rolling was roll 1d6 for each ability score going down the list in order. That is the minimum number of points from a pool of 36 point buy that you had to put in that stat. Keeps some stats from being dump stats, the half-orc barbarian could roll a "5" for charisma and have to atleast have a 13 in it.

It, lets dice be apart of character creation, something that a few folks have an overwhelming desire to have. But it also is a point buy method wich is fair and balanced, plus 36 point buy is Very Heroic compared to what the DMG suggests.

Xulin

First Post
In our game we just rolled two sets of stats and took the better of the two. Plus reroll anything less than a 9.

It worked out pretty good, but what was really funny was that one guy rolled: 17, 17, 16, 15, 14,14. He decided not to roll a second time because he didn't think he would get anything better than that. So the moral of the story is: be really lucky.

Remove ads