CLOSED Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords, Burnt Offerings

hewligan

First Post
Round 867, The Bitch Bites The Dust

OOC: Initiative order: Danth (13), Jokad (9), Kael (8), Erylium (6), Jovik (4), Mandraiv

The little demonic sorcereress is definitely fading into invisibility once again. She flits up towards the ceiling, as if readying her escape.

"Stop trying to grab her and slay the foul beast!" cries Danth, shaking off the effects of the quasit's poison. The priest steps forward again, swinging his weapon, but this time the morningstar whooshes through the air beneath the flying foe.

Jokad, however, is not so unlucky.

"Play time is over. Try and dodge this!" he screams at her, a smile cracking his face.

Jokad lunges forward unexpectedly jabbing the head of his axe into the creature's gut. This action didn't allow the killing edge to be brought into play but it slammed her hard against the wall with a satisfying crack. She hangs there, on the edge of the blade, on the edge of death.

But she is not dead.

At least, not until a shiny rounded slingshot thuds deep into her left eye socket, burying itself amid the ichor. She doesn't let out a single sound, just slumps, lifeless, on the axe, killed by the stunning force of the blow, and a single amazingly well-placed stone from a sling. Kael cannot help but feel a sense of accomplishment. A spent sorcerer isn't so useless after all!

Not so much David and Goliath, perhaps, but a relief none-the-less.

Erylium is dead. Properly dead. Not just sort of half-dead waiting to heal, but actually "stone embedded in brain, axe embedded in gut" dead. Congratulations.

You are left panting, catching your breath, clustered around the body of the little quasit. At last Mandraiv breaks the silence.

"I think we cleared the place out, but this room, this cathedral, has the stench of evil to it. I am worried about that pool that the Sinspawn crawled from. Perhaps there are more?"

He wanders off to the pool, just a few feet away, and stares into it.

"Empty, dirty, reddish water. Nothing else. Perhaps it is a summoning pool? I am sure it was bubbling or something when we came in, but it is still now."

OOC: Congratulations!!! You have all but completed the Catacombs of Wrath. Please post any follow up actions and questions. You can search, act, etc. here. As soon as we exit the Catacombs are return to town I am going to be asking you all to level up!

Rhun

First Post
Danth Brinfield

"Well fought, my friends," says Danth, a slight smile on his face as he wipes the gore and ichor away from his morningstar. "A true team effort!" The cleric then strides forward and claps the mage on the back. "And a nice shot to end it, Kael. We have certainly done good works today."

Edit: Getting some names confused. Oops.

Last edited:

frostrune

First Post
Jokad smiles broadly as he regards his companions. A scene that might be considered 'warm' except that he picks that moment to pluck the doll sized demon off the tip of his axe with a wet sucking noise.

He holds her up by a wing and eyes her corpse curiously. "I say we throw her in a bag and take her back to town like the (sinspawn) head."

"The mayor wants us to be, you know, out there making the people feel safe. A few ghastly trophies ought to inspire their confidence. Right?"
He looks around for confirmation then shrugs.

"Besides, tavern stories have so much more impact when you got the evidence to back up your boast", he grins.

"Jovik, might better check around for treasure... starting with that fine knife of hers. I'll stand guard."

He unceremoniously tosses the demoness at Jovik's feet and bends down to retrieve the magical sword. He casually wipes the gore from his blades and takes up a position back near the room's entrance to guard while the others search.

OOC: Well done my friends. At this point Jokad wants to loot and get out of there. The youth clearly has one thing on his mind, okay maybe three : beer, women, and food.

He will not be negligent of his duty however. He will carry one of the dead town guards (and the quasit) out of the tunnels and generally help as needed.

Friadoc

Explorer
Kael turns slowly, so as to survey the scene, before he kneels down next to Mal and pats the animals neck.

"We did what we must and the village is safer for it," says Kael with a weak smile on his face as he looks to his comrades. "She was definitely a tough little thing."

At that, Kael stuffs his sling back into it's pouch and moves to help his allies in their razing of the room, as they search for treasure, rewards, and clues.

OOC

Post #605 - Search Checks (1d20+2=3, 1d20+2=10)

A pair of search checks, if you need more crappy versions of those, then I'm your man. ;)

Last edited:

hewligan

First Post
While Jokad stands guard in the seemingly deserted Catacombs, his companions move around searching the large room. Their hearts are not in it, sluggish from the many fights and many strange beasts they have come up against, and defeated, this day.

Mandraiv groans. "My old bones cannot take much more of this ..." he trails off, rubbing his sore arms, bruised from the combat.

The cathedral building stands largely empty. The walls are engraved with ancient symbols. Runes are repeated, the same seven pointed 'star' predominates, and the many images of Lamashtu, the demoness whose statue dominated the entrance room of the complex.

The little corpse of Erylium reveals little. She has a small pouch containing some golden coins (3 in total), but of an ancient mint that you do not recognise. On her head is a miniature tiara that looks like it might be worth a bit, if you can find a wealthy family with a little girl. It is the sort of item you think might raise 30-60gp in a bigger city like Magnimar, but you doubt there is anyone with the coin here in Sandpoint to buy an item so frivolous.

The only other item you find is an unholy symbol of Lamashtu that she wears around her neck. The item is obsidian, or similar, and again may be worth a bit of cash in a larger city, either as a curio, or to a worshiper of this dark demoness.

Her dagger ... well, that is another thing altogether. It is light, small, but very sharp. Jovik can feel the balance. It is made for throwing, and you already saw her throw it once and have it return to her. You guess it is magical, or at the very least she had cast some temporary spell on it. You will need to find someone who can cast some magic on it to determine its powers, but at the very least it feels like an excellent throwing dagger.

OOC: There is nothing else to find. Please post any in-character bits about leaving the Catacombs if you desire. I will be posting a LARGE progression post on Sunday to take the game towards its final act (for the time being, and the final act is a big one).

Rhun

First Post
Danth is weary; their efforts to clear out the catacombs, the searching, the combat...it is much more physical that the young priest is used to, despite his athletic appearance. "Well, it must be time to return to Sandpointe. I could use a hot meal and a warm bed. I can tell you, I will sleep well this night."

Fenris

Adventurer
Rhun said:
Danth is weary; their efforts to clear out the catacombs, the searching, the combat...it is much more physical that the young priest is used to, despite his athletic appearance. "Well, it must be time to return to Sandpointe. I could use a hot meal and a warm bed. I can tell you, I will sleep well this night."

"I think we all will" replies Jovik tucking the dagger into his belt for later examination and gathering up the few possesion of Erylium.

"You know Jokad the girls back in town are prettier and more willing to give you a hug than this thing was, better stick to your axe." teases Jovik.

Remove ads