S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

pathfinderq1

First Post
"It isn't so much a matter of what they can tell us about the city- after all, the giants aren't there. It was more to see if we might be able to speak with somebody local, to see if we can see if there are any juicy rumors floating around. I mean, if a couple of big expeditions got chewed up, somebody ought to be talking about it- and they might tell us some things our official sponsors might, well, forget to mention. So maybe Sanne can talk to some of the folks she knows- or if anyone else has a gift for rumor-gathering... I'd rather know as much as we can about what is out in that jungle." Ipshivi's voice was quiet, measured, and calm- but there was an edge to it- she was starting to get excited, now that the dangerous part of the trip was about to get underway.

Voadam

Legend
"In my experience sailors in taverns love to tell their tales. Bards as well. Barkeeps and innkeepers are frequently willing to pass on current news to travelers and listen to rumors of doings abroad as well. Stormreach does not have a closed in or distrustful reputation, I expect we can hear common rumors fairly easily with a quick shoreleave stop, though there is often sifting that must be done for useful kernels among the fanciful tales people tell."

drothgery

First Post
"I'll see what I can do." Sanne said. "Most of my contacts -- and House Lyrandar's -- here concern what might be offered for trade. But it's not uncommon for a Windwright Captain to chase into the interior on a rumor of a rich ruin to find. Besides, for some reason I've found men in ports like talking to me." She smiled at that.

OOC: And, well, Sanne's the only one in the group who's invested a lot in social skills (well, bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive, anyway; she'd have gather info, too, but I ran out of skill points) and has the highest charisma score...

s@squ@tch

First Post
It's a ruin.

This is your first thought as Stormreach comes into view: The city has been destroyed by some terrible disaster. You see crumbling walls and squat, shattered towers. then a moment later, you realize how far you still are from the city, and you notice the smaller structures clustered around those broken foundations. These ruins must be the work of the giants, buildings that fell long before humans came to this land.

It might not be a ruin, but Stormreach is a ramshackle city. As you draw closer, you see that the buildings are an astonishing assortment of architectural styles and materials. Some of the inhabitants have constructed their homes using stone quarried from the ruins themselves; others are partially built from driftwood or the hulls of broken ships. The Flamic architecture of Thrane stands next to a thatched hut that would seem more at home in the Shadow Marches. The city is a tapestry, hinting at the diverse range of people that have settled here.

From what you can see, Stormreach is spread over a wide area, flowing down along a river valley. Barges and passenger skiffs drift between the harbor and the depths of the city. Vegetation-covered cliffs surround the valley with a curtain of lush green.

As a boomtown devoted to extracting Xen'drik's riches, Stormreach will never be mistaken for a capital city or a paragon of architectural splendor. The climate seems agreeable, though, and the place holds an air of ancient mystery. You can see why so many choose to stay in Stormreach long after their expeditions have staggered out of Xen'drik's interior and returned to civilization.

[D]aa[/D]

"Aye lads, circle the town once, to give our passengers a good look at the only civilized town on Xen'drik."

The ship veers slightly to the west, while shedding some altitude and speed. You fly over the city, drinking in the sights. Several open markets, bazaars, and compounds are seen. Continuing past the heart of the city,

With Dalwir looking on, the helmsman slowly circles the landing pad once before setting the ship down upon solid ground once more.

"I cannot thank you enough," Dalwir says,"I don't know how we would have survived those elementals without you."

He nods to each one of you.

"Good luck -- and stay safe, I've heard all sorts of horrible stories of what goes on in the jungles..."

The landing pad area is nothing more than a clearing on the outskirts of town, with giant-sized cobblestones appearing here and there, with grass growing up between them. From your view on the way in, the center of town can't be more than a 15 minute walk.

You all collect your gear from below, and disembark from the ship. A half-orc is resting against a large stone block, along with two humans, about 10 yards from the ship, looking over the group as you make your way down the gangway. They are all clad in maroon cloaks over studded leather, with the crest of Tharashk prominently etched and colored on the chest.

The half-orc approaches your group,"Welcome, I am Barrak, I was dispatched to find you and return you to our enclave. Come."

With that he turns and signals to the two humans, who quickly fall in step.

[sblock= Ipshivi]
You see a human face peering at you from behind one of the giant stone blocks that litter the landing site. Your eldritch sight determines that the individual is invisible to those without the gift.
[/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika only grins slightly, with baring of teeth. "I can get words out of people for ya, but I doubt they'd be in much condition to talk after. Maybe I'll go talk someone more on my own level," she says with an odd hyena-like snicker. "Like the snakes or something. You talk to your fancy people, I'll go chat up the beasts."

pathfinderq1

First Post
Ipshivi's voice was little more than a whisper- directly mostly at Sanne, who seemed as close to a "leader" as the group had developed, but audible to any others close by. "I don't suppose the invisible guy over behind those rocks is part of the welcoming committee. Yes, just off to the (left) there, behind the large boulder with the flowering vines..." With her mischief initiated, Ipshivi started moving in the direction she had mentioned.

OOC: One move action worth of talking, one worth of moving.

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: Ipshivi is invisible now- in fact, she pretty much stays invisible unless she has done something which would make her visible, like attacking (and even then, she will generally try to fade from sight as soon as she can re-invoke Walk Unseen).

Rhun

First Post
Aeranduil's keen elven ears picked up Ipshivi's voice as she mentions the invisible man, but the well disciplined archer doesn't even cast a glance in that direction. He moves to follow after this "Barrak" fellow, but he remains ready to spring into action should his companion indicate that there is any danger.

Remove ads