S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

Rhun

First Post
Aeranduil remains quiet as he listens to the others, his keen elven senses tuned to the environment now that the invisible threat has passed.

s@squ@tch

First Post
House Tharashk Enclave

You enter Stormreach from the north, passing what appears to be the House Deneith compound to your right. A small canal is crossed via a newly re-cobbled bridge. Barrak leads you through several huge archways that connect various plazas in the city.

In the plaza ahead of you, you see a large outdoor bazaar, full of merchants hawking various wares, while what appears to be an inn lies just past the square.

As you walk through the city, you are somewhat intrigued by the make-up of the citizens -- besides the normal races you normally seen on the mainland, you notice a fair share of goblinoids, orcs, dark elves, even a hill giant.

Those who have been to Stormreach in the past recognize the inn as the Chapterhouse, a joint venture of House Phiarlan and House Ghallanda.

Before you reach the bazaar, Barrak takes a right and approaches an old giant building, surrounded by a stone wall of newer, human construction. Several armed men stand guard at the gate. They immediately notice him and allow him, and the rest of you, to pass unimpeded.

You are lead through the gate, towards the main building in the enclave area, several smaller, human built buildings skirt the large central building. Banners depicting large Dragonne's pour forth from some of the upper windows, draping the large entry-way.

Once under the banners and into the building, you realize that you are in a great hall, built by giants. You would guess it to be roughly 150' long and 60' wide, with the ceiling being at 30' tall. Two row of giant windows line each wall, with enormous skylights illuminating the the hall. Benches, desks and seating areas dot the area -- it appears that this hall serves several functions -- mustering, planning, ops, and training, to say the least.

Currently there is constant activity in the room, with groups of humans and half-orcs coming and going.

Barrak stops briefly,"There," he points to an cordoned off area towards the back left corner of the hall,"Nardon is expecting you, and has prepared the members of House Tharashk that will accompany you into the jungle. They will have all of the details you need before you set out."

"My task is complete, I have found you and delivered you to your destination. Good day, I must now go make my report of the invisible creature at the landing site."
He says as he walks off.

[D]aa[/D]

You walk over to the back corner and see a grizzled human male eyeing your approach.

"Ah, you must be the mainlanders," he says,"I am Nardon, welcome to Xen'drik -- I will brief you on what is asked of you."

"Please have a seat,"
he says as he motions towards several seats around a large circular table behind the hanging tarps that cordon off this area.

"I hope you are used to jungle expeditions, and understand the dangers of exploring in the interiors of Xen'drik -- especially of the traveler's curse..."

"As you know, our house has lost several expeditions lately. All of them have been lost in the proximity of the Titan's Teeth -- which is a collection of giant ruins that stretch into the clouds."

"Our last dispatches from the teams have originated somewhere in that region."

"In the past, the giants have not bothered us, as we have not bothered them, but it appears that things have changed. What caused it, we are not aware of, or whether this is the act of a sole band of giants, or a larger alliance."

"Our scouts have noticed an increase in strange looking creatures -- not the normal denizens of Xen'drik, for we've run into all sorts of strange mutations of creatures, like lions in the desert with a camel-like hump on their back, to jungle pumas whose fur looks like patches of leaves."

"But these things look, well, otherwordly and unnatural... They have struck fear into the most hardened of scouts and warriors."

"We have outfitted an group to accompany you, and have secured mounts for all of you that are acclimated to the rigors of Xen'drik jungles."

"It is week long journey towards the Titan's Teeth, give or take a day or two, depending upon the mercy of Xen'drik."

"Once there, we are most concerned with the recovery of bodies of the expedition leaders -- their value to the house is irreplaceable, and we have contracted with Jorasco to bring them back to from the great hunt."

"Do not worry about the transportation of the bodies back, for our house team will take care of that."

"We will be sending along a homing beacon with your group, so that we will know where your group is at all times."

"Extreme caution is to be employed, as you know, giants are formidable foes, when angered."

"They are ready to depart in the morning, and we have arranged lodging for your group at the Chapterhouse, which is just outside of our Enclave."

[sblock=Voadam]
You read this passage in an old book while preparing for the trip to Xen'drik:

The great cataclysm that altered the face of Xen'drik forty thousand years ago had lasting effects on the continent's creaturs. Sites steeped in magic remain to this day, and creatures that live in or near those areas sometimes mutate.
[/sblock]

Stormreach-readable.jpg

"X" on the map is the House Tharashk enclave (the walled in courtyard).

If you have questions about which some of the numbered areas are, ask -- as some of the group has been in Stormreach before, and should have some knowledge of the place -- but obviously not in-depth knowledge that would come from Knowledge (Local - Stormreach).

Voadam

Legend
s@squ@tch said:
"Our scouts have noticed an increase in strange looking creatures -- not the normal denizens of Xen'drik, for we've run into all sorts of strange mutations of creatures, like lions in the desert with a camel-like hump on their back, to jungle pumas whose fur looks like patches of leaves."

"But these things look, well, otherwordly and unnatural... They have struck fear into the most hardened of scouts and warriors."[/COLOR]

"I would like to hear more about these encounters, particularly the specific descriptions of the creatures. While beasts on Xendrik twisted by the high concentration magic areas left by the Great Cataclysm might be described as "unnatural", supernatural fear is often a trait of dragons and extraplanar fiends in my experience. Of course twisted monstrosities such as the mind flayers or the walking dead often provoke dread of a most natural sort and many horrors may have an otherworldly appearance."

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the group moved through the city, Ipshivi ranged about more than a bit, taking curious glances at some of the more exotic sights. She did not stay directly with the group, but kept roving ahead, around, and behind the main party, always in line of sight (for her, anyway)- some of her movements were to allow a clearer understanding of the area and their route, while other moves allowed her to observe whether or not anyone seemed to be paying undue attention to her compatriots. They had already seen one spy, after all- there might be others.

Once they were inside the walled compound, she altered her pace a bit, dropping back behind the group and observing until they went into the building- once they were inside she scampered nimbly and silently up the wall to perch in the corner above Nardon and the others- close enough to hear the briefing, but with a good view of the surroundings as well.

OOC: See the Unseen, Walk Unseen, Spiderwalk and Entropic Warding all active.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika had been angered by the loss of the presumed spy, but listened to their erstwhile employer with interest. Unnatural nature, warped magic, giants, and heady fear... quite a combination.

And they care enough about them to bring them back from the dead. That's loyalty above and beyond brotherhood, she thinks in reluctant admiration. She'd only seen one resurrection in her life, and it had been for a very great hero cut down by a devious and honorless assassin. Twice she herself had invoked the powerful resurrection magic to bring back members of her own family, though in forms unlike their previous ones. Such magic was tricky and not always under the caster's complete control, and you had to be so very certain that you needed it to happen...

"Yer pretty clever," Morika grated to Nardon. "Got everything figured out. You got enemies from Khorvaire that might be following us? Somebody was spying on us at t' docks, invisible-like, a sneak and weasel. Sounds like we got more tha' enough t' keep us jumpin' in the jungle, let alone with spies at our back, eh?"

Rhun

First Post
As is typical of the elf, Aeranduil remains quiet. He knew how to hunt giants; they did not worry him. It was all of the other factors and players in this game that he was now learning about which was causing him some concern.

drothgery

First Post
Sanne was glad of Morika's directness; she had been looking for a more tactful way to bring up that same point. Giants they had known about. Assassins lurking in the shadows were not part of the deal.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Nardon

He looks over the otherworldly wizard, then begins,"Aye, you are correct about the creatures native to this land -- they can be unnatural as snow in the middle of summer to those from the mainland. After a while down here, you start to accept them -- grow used to seeing the oddities."

He shakes his head while continuing his diatribe.

"But lately, reports of unusual creatures -- by Xen'drik standards -- have become much more commonplace. Hardly an expedition returns without some mention of some monstrosity of a creature that defies all logic."

"No one knows what to think about this."

"We now have to prepare our hunters and scouts, not just against the drow, or the scorpions, the quori, or the giants, but also against things we have no experience with -- it makes my task as the quartermaster insanely difficult. And I think it will be the death of me."

At the mention of the spy at the docks, he narrows his eyes and looks towards the great hall.

"That be news to me," He says, shaking his head,"Barrak had not informed me of such things."

"I will need to have a chat with him and his responsibilities to this enclave."

"For a search and rescue mission, I cannot imagine the need for others to send spies. I will need to meditate upon this tonight."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika seemed pleased that Nardon hadn't attempted to prevaricate, even though she knew their guide hadn't informed him about the attack yet. It seemed the best way to provoke a true reaction, and she was glad she had done it.

"Could be that there be those that don't want your people telling what they've seen, on this side of judgement or the second time around. Think o' that. You think about what you want, I'm going to go see what the folk of the forest have to say about things," Morika says, pushing up from the table. She pauses at the doorway. "I'll be back later. After I've gotten some grub."

With that, she'll head out, intending to head towards some of the main routes out of town. She'd like to get at or near said "gates" and ask some of the birds, mice, monkeys, or whatever else might be around if they've "seen" invisible strangers (by scent or blindsense, if she can find a friendly bat). Also, if they've just noticed anything particularly strange about any parties going out or coming in in the last few moons (if they can remember back that far). She'll be using her speak with animals spells once she's found a few likely critters (using wild empathy and some food to gain their trust).

Remove ads