DRAGON #360 Art Gallery: Dryad

Imp

First Post
Eh, if that's a dryad, I won't use it.

There are quite enough humanoid plant concepts to fill all my needs. If I need a feral plant spirit to jump the PCs, it's not gonna look like a humanoid. And if I need what I think of as a dryad, it won't look like that.

I am not a fan of dryad-class fey even having a "true form", to be honest.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Bring on the plant elemental dryads, say I. I'd rather see interesting changes than uninteresting revisions just so that a monster better fits a description given by Bulfinch.

For me, it's double-fisted.

On the one fist, we've got the heady stout of tradition speaking. Dryads have a real historical presence as "sexy tree girls," from one of the earliest written languages to today. If I can't see a god running after one in a fury of addled lust, it weakens how useful that history is in the game. With the 3e dryads, more or less, I can do that. "Sexy tree girls" is more than just appearance, too. Mythographically speaking, it represents a certain icon of the "virgin wilderness," a notion of civilization as progress and masculine and aggressive, of the wilderness as natural and feminine and shy. It's a whole yin/yang thing, and the Dryad is a "yin" in this ages-old Western iconography. Trees are feminine, they grow from the earth directly, they bear fruit, they have curves, their flowers and leaves flow like hair. To affront a tree is to violate nature, is to take this shy and retreating creature and mistreat it, filling you with kind of an allegorical forceful taking of innocence, of destructive change, and of loosing something when you conquer the wilderness. You've got that mythography, and you've got the classic stories that D&D is, in part, a vehicle of re-imagining.

On the other fist, we've got the pale ale of game play. Dryads as a monster in D&D need to be able to *do* something, and something unique, to justify their position. Like any monster, they should fill at least three roles: ally, adversary, and anybody. As an Ally, a dryad should provide a boon to certain types of characters (namely, those nature-focused characters like rangers), befriending them, giving them succor, allowing them to do their cool thing even better (a dryad's leaf cover providing ample opportunity to snipe, for instance). As an Adversary, a dryad should want to actually fight certain types of characters (namely, those characters who disrespect her trees), engaging in a multifaceted and interesting combat. Here, things like the idea to use Dryads as a kind of controller surface: a dryad manipulates the environment around her enemies, calling the plants and the earth itself to her side, weaving the trees like they were silk, sprouting plants as if the fullness of spring arrived in an instant, striking with the solidity of an oak branch. There's a lot of combat possibilities for that. As an Anybody, a dryad needs to have a function in the world beyond the PC's. Clearly, they are spirits of trees: they exist as the avatara of the woodlands, and wherever the sylvan wood grows strong enough, these Dryads exist, knowing all that passes beneath the branches.

In neither of these fists do I think we need to abandon the "sexy tree nymph" image. Sexy tree nymphs evoke the classic imagery and the themes of Western storytelling from time immemorial, and they can be interesting and challenging encounters in a variety of ways, as well as having an existence beyond the encounter.

Now, that problem is ENTIRELY avoided with a simple descriptor or flavor text nudge to show clearly that this "dryad" is NOT meant to be the dryad we all know from our storytelling heritage. It's supposed to be something else: attack shrubbery or treant side-kick saplings or something. Not a proper dryad (though perhaps people take to calling it some sort of dryad).

If they DON'T do that simple nudge, and imply that this twisted thing is somehow THE DRYAD, like scientists pointing out that manatees are not mermaids, they'll have removed all the magic from the thing. Why they would feel the need to do that when I, at least, can clearly see the design space for a solid sexy monster dryad, I wouldn't likely begin to comprehend.

I've got no problem with that picture being some dryad-like monster thing that's fun to kill. Treant minions, whatever. I'll be disappointed if they just stick with calling that thing The Dryad, though. Because clearly (IMO), there should be dryads in the game, and clearly (again IMO) there's no reason they need to be removed from their mythological place to be put there.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
Dryads as a monster in D&D need to be able to *do* something, and something unique, to justify their position.
Keeping satyrs happy? ;) Okay, okay... how about giving them lignifying poison like the barkburr? They could transform enemies into trees, forest animals, or humanoid druids.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Commonblade said:
Based on this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20071102a

I would say, I think this represents what a Dryads natural form looks like.

:lol:

To quote the description of the dryad from that article:

Black Woods Dryad

Here's another creature that's bringing a different look into the new edition. This fey of the woods appears here in what we're thinking of as her natural form. Sure, she might be able to appear as dryads have in the past, as nymph-like forest dwellers, but if you get one angry, watch out! She'll just as likely plant a tree in your head. The concept of the dryad has moved away from being only a woodland faerie whose tree is always in danger. The new dryads are fierce protectors of the forest in which they live, likely some dark or mysterious wood, or perhaps even in the lands of the Feywild.

Looks like the author here has addressed a number of our concerns.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
Looks like the author here has addressed a number of our concerns.

Vastly more like how I use them now: avenging spirit protectors of the woodlands such that even Druids fear their wrath.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kamikaze Midget said:
For me, it's double-fisted.
Mostly agree. Odd word choice though. :)

IMHO a Dryad should be a critter you don't fight directly -- once you have a knife to her throat, the fight should be over. She should be a Controller (and nothing else) -- powerless against a wide variety of threats, but dangerous if you don't know her location, and deadly in combination with other critters.

As an ally, a Controller / Diviner allows the PCs to shine. She gives them information and support, denying the enemies certain tactical options, but not able to kill them directly herself -- thus the PCs get to do what players so enjoy, the actual killin' part.

As an anybody, the Controller / Diviner role allows her to need help since she can only slow down the troll-loggers, not destroy them herself. I like it when the sexy tree babe needs help. Makes for a good hook.

As an enemy, she's not that deadly -- she can be caught and reasoned with (or killed) if she has no direct attack powers, but it should be a reasonably "fun" encounter anyway. If she has allies, she'll spice up the combat.

Anyway, point is: I like sexy tree babes. IMHO there's easily room for them in the rules.

Cheers, -- N

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Odd word choice though.

Friday night is for beers. :)

IMHO a Dryad should be a critter you don't fight directly -- once you have a knife to her throat, the fight should be over. She should be a Controller (and nothing else) -- powerless against a wide variety of threats, but dangerous if you don't know her location, and deadly in combination with other critters.

I'd live with this comfortably, but I prefer it when the monster can be a good combat challenge as well as all the rest. I guess I just see it as part of the "translation" to D&D: pretty much everything has combat potential.

I could see the dryad's combat potential being mostly through helping other critters, though. Sort of a controller/leader role, where she manipulates terrain and empowers others.

As an anybody, the Controller / Diviner role allows her to need help since she can only slow down the troll-loggers, not destroy them herself. I like it when the sexy tree babe needs help. Makes for a good hook.

For me, this can easily be solved by tweaking either her or the troll. If the troll isn't already a higher level than the dryad, advance 'em 'till they are, and then they're a challenge the PC's need to solve. Or have the troll-loggers use unusual tactics. Or have it be a "young" dryad (whom you won't really even need to stat out).

It's not too dissonant for me to have a dryad who can beat down the occasional goblin or orc or logger, but who could still succumb to a more powerful or concentrated threat, and thus have a dryad who is basically a low-level Adversary only.

As an enemy, she's not that deadly -- she can be caught and reasoned with (or killed) if she has no direct attack powers, but it should be a reasonably "fun" encounter anyway. If she has allies, she'll spice up the combat.

Anyway, point is: I like sexy tree babes. IMHO there's easily room for them in the rules.

Though I like 'em deadly, too, we're in accord.

What I don't want to see is what a lot of the new monsters in 3e suffered from. They lack staying power because they lacked a life outside of the battle. The Ythrak? The Phantom Fungus? The Digester? They might have made great Adversaries, but they didn't have a whole lot of life as an Anybody or as an Ally unless you kind of forced them into the role by giving them more to do than fight PC's and die. If that little tree-spirit represents THE DRYAD, I'm affraid the dryad's life might be reduced to include simply "fight PC's and die," too, and that'd be a heck of a loss of potential.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kamikaze Midget said:
Friday night is for beers. :)
That would be the least problematic context. Cheers! :)

Kamikaze Midget said:
I'd live with this comfortably, but I prefer it when the monster can be a good combat challenge as well as all the rest. I guess I just see it as part of the "translation" to D&D: pretty much everything has combat potential.

I could see the dryad's combat potential being mostly through helping other critters, though. Sort of a controller/leader role, where she manipulates terrain and empowers others.
As a leader ("diviner") / controller, who can manipulate natural hazards and also aid her plant & animal allies, I could see her being an interesting foe who fights indirectly.

Nymphs, with their blinding beauty and charming wiles, might go into the Controller role completely differently...

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads