Winter ball

James V

First Post
I think we should do seasonal theme for each setting if we can get the themes for them. That way it'll throw it all off wack lol.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I'm thinkiing a Sunday like Dec 9th, getting anything planned for this month I just don't see happening since we're already halfway through. How about a snowflake winter theme, that way it's not about any religeons. Most likely we'll be holding this in the Rotunda's Pegasus Ballroom, so we won't be holding it in different settings, but a general winter theme would definitely work.

This is last year's descrip:
The Pegasus Ballroom is transformed tonight into a huge cavern of ice! The center of the floor is a roped off smooth circular ice rink, with a small booth to one side where skates can be borrowed. Pillar torches and braziers provide light and warmth, as it is cold in here! Tiny Will-O-Whisps float magically through the air and huge sparkling icicles are magically light from within, casting a soft sparkling light. Music floats from a stage at the far end of the cave, the area creating perfect acoustics for the entire cave. Along one wall of the cave is a long table covered with refreshments that include roasted meats, winter veggies, sweet breads, cakes, roasted chestnuts and sweet meats. To drink is punch, a steaming hot cocoa and a spiked mulled cider

Kallikrates

First Post
Sounds good Nashira!

Khaira: I think we had a miscommunication, I say it should be a generalized one. Having a Thanksgiving themed one would have been ridiculous since Turkey Day is Thursday!

I second Dontella, withhold the real time holiday celebrations.

Ariel: You know half my characters would be ticked off at any sort of fur-festival. :D

Then you would have to deal with me! Mwahahahahahaha!!! *needs a throat lozenge*

Anyway, I look forward to a Festival of the Moon or a Snow Ball Fight Festival or a Moon Made of Snow Festival.

Ya...

Khaira

First Post
Kallikrates said:
Khaira: I think we had a miscommunication, I say it should be a generalized one. Having a Thanksgiving themed one would have been ridiculous since Turkey Day is Thursday!

And I was agreeing with you. Silly Kallikrates. :) I was merely going into gorey detail, as I am apt to do, about why Waterdhavians would have a generalized city-wide festival, rather than a religion-focused one.

Also ... Moon Made of Snow Festival? *whistles innocently and moves on, inconspicuously hiding the fact that Khaira's silly player just spent ten minutes trying to imagine and comprehend that...*

Nash - So, snowflake winter theme?
Was there a bardic competetition at last years winter'ish ball'ish type of thingo? Maybe I'm misconstruing events again...
All I can think of is snowflakes...5 and 6 and 7 and 8 pointed snowflakes ... so pretty. All right, so I can't actually think right now.
*makes a mental note not to post after work ever again*

I assume if they would celebrate anything it might be Winter solstice, nothing wrong with the seasonal changed.

Most of the balls have been very... beautiful, eligant. Could always do something in a less welcoming theme, even something slightly rugged, and course. Even the horrors of winter, can be somewhat interesting in a controlled and illusionary enviornment.

Ice cave, frozen figures obscured in ice walls, chilling cold fire luminating that pale silvery light, stone - to - crafted bone furniture. Lol wicker bone items, stretched pelts of winter wolves.. I was thinking of something less traditional.

polinia_arnjlot

First Post
I'm with Bonecruster on that. I was going to post the same idea until I saw he'd beat me to it :p Winter soltice.. the longest night. All about winter and starting the journey into spring. Many real cultures celebrate this time. Dancing the life back into the world is very cool!

All the same wintery snow type things apply but plenty of dark clear stary night and shadowy edges where the dead and dormant await to be outcast by the Happy spring.

Dontella

First Post
I have to disagree with the "Horrors of Winter" Idea.

The balls are meant to be pleasant, enjoyable.. and having figures frozen in the wall and furniture of bone.. can be rather offsetting unless it is the right time of year.

Suggestion:

The Pegasus Ballroom has been transformed for the evening. Like a winter fairytale given form, guests find themselves in a land of snowy wonders. Frosty white and blue lights are cast along the walls, transforming the area into a majestic snowy glade. Completing the illusion are rising images of frost covered pine trees, a path of pebbles brushed clear of snow, and an icey pond that look inviting slick to play and skate about. Rising above the scene is a cold winter's moon, starkly lit against the darkened shadows like an evening sky. Tucked among the trees are small tables with little pots of fire upon them for light and heat, and the chairs are lined with soft warm fir. Here to can a long table of delicacies be found.. snacks and sweets, drinks both hot and cold.. enough to tease and sate any appetite.

Remove ads