Animal Companion and weapons

Jack99

Adventurer
Hello

Can an animal companion learn the simple weapon feat and thus use a large club or something alike? Obviously, the Animal Companion would have to be an ape or something along those lines...

My gut feeling says no, but I can't remember anything in RAW that forbids it.

Klaus

First Post
Jack99 said:
Hello

Can an animal companion learn the simple weapon feat and thus use a large club or something alike? Obviously, the Animal Companion would have to be an ape or something along those lines...

My gut feeling says no, but I can't remember anything in RAW that forbids it.
Seeing as though chimpanzees already use clubs in sense, I'd rule it as a Trick, not as an actual feat, and let the Druid train the gorilla/ape in wielding a club, greatclub, mace, morningstar, halfspear, spear or javelin. Of course, I'd require that the Druid be proficient in the use of the weapon.

Slapzilla

First Post
A trick alone and it would still be non-proficient, a feat alone it may not know when to use it, but both.... That's how I'd make you do it.

Klaus

First Post
Slapzilla said:
A trick alone and it would still be non-proficient, a feat alone it may not know when to use it, but both.... That's how I'd make you do it.
I don't know, I'd go with two tricks, then. After all, it doesn't cost Armor Proficiency feats to get a creature to wear barding.

Jack99

Adventurer
Klaus said:
I don't know, I'd go with two tricks, then. After all, it doesn't cost Armor Proficiency feats to get a creature to wear barding.

I always make my druids pay the feat, if they want their already fairly powerful animal companion to wear armor/barding

But thanks for the feedback, I do see there is little ruling against it.

Klaus

First Post
Jack99 said:
I always make my druids pay the feat, if they want their already fairly powerful animal companion to wear armor/barding

But thanks for the feedback, I do see there is little ruling against it.
There's precedence of the Warhorses not having Armor Proficiency. It's all subsumed in the purpose they're trained for.

Carlos Gamon

First Post
Okay I have a scenario that I want to see if it works but before I start does anybody know about the game Dark Souls 1 the boss battle with "Sif the gray wolf". Now I would like to see if my wolf can use a sword

Remove ads