First time at map making

Craig158

First Post
Hi. I've been writing up a world for a future campaign, and, while i'm not new to making images, it is the first time i've built a map completely from scratch. The map can be seen here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Craig_Bean05/Asul.jpg

It does look a bit blocky, but I built in paint first, then transferred it to PS. It's definately not finished yet, as i'm unsure how to add deserts and such (although I have been looking a Zombie Nirvana for tips). If the seas look a bit familiar, that's because they're based on real ones. The sea of Argir is actually the Adriatic, and the Astarian Sea is the Black Sea fused with the Caspian Sea.

So i'm really looking for any tips and suggestions that might help me with improving the map.

Thanks

Sunaj2k3

First Post
Interesting use and reuse of the Caspian and Black seas ;) As a starter map, your work looks quite good. I like the heraldric shield associated with a country, I hope you do more of those.

As I am not much of a mapper myself, I would recommend you see what other folks post here and also take a peek at cartographersguild.com. There are quite a few experienced digital mappers over there and I have little doubt that they'd be able to help you out. One thing I suspect they'd recommend is ditching MS paint and going to thegimp. It has a learning curve and is not as powerful as the Adobe products it seeks to emulate--yet, but it is quite a powerful program and is free.

Pyrandon

First Post
Hi, Craig. Hey, nice start on that map--especially from using Paint! (wowee! ;) ) I can think of a few suggestions for you in the finishing department, but as for layout I also have a couple questions that may help. For example, rivers generally run from higher elevations (esp. mountains) to the seas; on your map it appears the Sea of Argir drains via a delta into another body of water, and that the Lindale/Grandwood/Orthemore area has three rivers from a well (?) all draining into the Astarian Sea. In a magical realm anything is possible, of course, but on first inspection these made me wonder. Generally, though I really like your layout and coastlines.

I agree with Sunaj that you may wish to head over to the Cartographers' Guild. I think if you have Photoshop no one would say dump it for the GIMP, but the past Guild threads and members over there could help with input and advice on using PS if you wanted. There are some professional and amazing amatures over there. If you decide not to post it over there, keep it going in this thread so we can see how you're progressing!

Nice start! Keep it going!

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
That looks amazing, Craig! I love seeing the transformation from the original to this - gotta love The Cartographers Guild. :)

Craig158

First Post
Glad you like it! Here's the most recent, and hopefully final (or as close as I can get it) version -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Craig_Bean05/Asul_v6.jpg

As i've said to others, it'll probably never be finished, as there'll always be something extra I could add, but it fits my original vision just about right. :)

I might eventually start a thread with details from my setting so that other people can use them, or get ideas from them.

Remove ads