[Adamant Entertainment] Imperial Age: London

GMSkarka

Explorer
[imagel]http://adamant.rpgnow.com/images/92/51552.jpg[/imagel]
Adamant Entertainment is proud to present a setting book for The Imperial Age, our line of Victorian/Steampunk products, made for use with d20 Modern or Past.

London is the greatest city of the Imperial Age. While much of the steel and production industries of England resided in Birmingham, the coal that drove the colonial enterprises was extracted in Wales, and shipping was increasingly centered in Southampton and Liverpool, London was the seat of power for the largest empire in the world. Millions walked its teeming streets, and the city has been the setting for diverse Victorian themes and genres, from detective fiction to steampunk.

The Imperial Age: London is a complete guide to using the city as a setting for your Victorian-era campaigns, no matter what the genre. Included are detailed descriptions of every district, informative sidebars on such diverse topics as money, precedence, Freemasons, workhouses, the Metropolitan Police Force and more, and suggestions on running adventures and campaigns in the greatest city of the age.

Included within the pages of this supplement is a genuine Imperial Age document -- the 1899 edition of Bartholomew's Pocket Atlas & Guide to London, featuring detailed street-level maps of every corner of the city, as well as a reference index to streets and places of interest.

ADM4111
$12.95 US

Click on cover image to visit product page.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Another awesome product in this line. A fantastic resource for any Victorian game, for sure, and that map is handy as hell. I'm tempted to put the pieces together and get a wall map poster of it!

I'm saying right now, if there is a subscription for 2008, I'm buying it the moment it comes out.

Walt C

Explorer
HalWhitewyrm said:
Another awesome product in this line. A fantastic resource for any Victorian game, for sure, and that map is handy as hell. I'm tempted to put the pieces together and get a wall map poster of it!

I'm saying right now, if there is a subscription for 2008, I'm buying it the moment it comes out.

Thanks for your support!

We're very proud of this one. Scott did an incredible job!

Walt Ciechanowski
Imperial Age Line Developer
Adamant Entertainment

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Honestly, I was a tad disappointed in this one. Bartholomew's Pocket Atlas and Guide to London you can get for free online, including the street maps:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...tlas_and_guide_to_london/paagtl1900index.html

or

http://www.victorianlondon.org/pocketatlas/mapper.htm

Nothing really new was added that couldn't be found on Wikipedia and other online sources*, so the real value here is the research is done for you if you are not familiar with London and its neighborhoods, especially during the 19th century. There's also no d20 Modern rules crunch, but this makes it valuable for use as a reference for any game system I suppose. As always, for an Adamant Product, it's very nicely laid out and bookmarked. If you don't have any game references for Victorian London, this would be a nice product to pick up (it is still a decent product), but if you already do, you might want to pass.

Now Imperial Age: British India, that was extremely well done, and included rules crunch. I'd like to see future setting guides follow that format instead. Definitely pick that one up if you don't have it.

Just me two coppers. :)

Edit: Fixed a few inaccuracies, included a new link.

*Edit 2: In all fairness, I'm probably a bit jaded since I've been playing games set in Victorian London for over a decade now.

Last edited:

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
the real value here is the research is done for you if you are not familiar with London and its neighborhoods, especially during the 19th century.
This right here was worth my money. I know that most of this can be found online; heck, I even have the pocket atlas bookmarked somewhere, but I now have a handy, all-in-one-place source for Victorian London that I can grab and take with me anywhere. I can always complement with my collection of links, but saving me the time to compile all that info in one place, yep, I gladly pay for that.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
HalWhitewyrm said:
This right here was worth my money.

But perhaps not $12.95* worth for someone who already has the resources from elsewhere. For me personally, there was no added value to this product. The lack of any d20 Modern rules crunch was disappointing to me as well. For someone new to Victorian roleplaying, however, this is still a very good resource and I would definitely recommend it to them, or anyone looking for a generic resource on Victorian London for their game. Anyhow, it's just one product I didn't particularly like in an otherwise superior product line.

*With a 2007 subscription, I didn't pay $12.95.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
jaerdaph said:
*Edit 2: In all fairness, I'm probably a bit jaded since I've been playing games set in Victorian London for over a decade now.
Heh, I wrote much the same about the British India book on another forum, and ended with very nearly the same codicil of being slightly unfair, in my case in a separate post - when you have done the research you always wonder why everyone else hasn't.

You and I have acquired links, details, and resources because of our choice of setting - these are for folks who aren't us! :p I am now thinking of them more as being resources for the players than for myself, which does make them more palatable.

The Auld Grump, heck, most of my players have never read Sherlock Holmes outside of school work.

Remove ads