Need answers

Gish Makai

First Post
Ok..Ihave a dilema. I'm converting the shocker from PS3 and have run into a snag.

I either need a name for this ability or it goes in the description of the creature.

Shockers extend a part of themselves when traveling outside their native plane. If 'killed' on any other plane, they turn into a gray metallic dust but their original form remains intact.

This is mentioned a couple times in the write-up but I'm at a loss. Help!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmm...since it can actually affect gameplay, I'd probably make it an ability. Maybe call it something like "False Death".

On the other hand, the lich's ability to cheat "death" unless its phylactery is destroyed is listed as a separate paragraph in its description, not as an ability. So I guess you could go either way.

It's kind of ironic that when you "dust" one of these guys, you aren't really killing it!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
not sure what to do about the whole planar travel thing, but there are all sorts of other similar powers in existence. check out the MoP, maybe there's something in there?

BTW, a note about the shocker you might want to see before you get too involved in converting it. the shocker, of course, originally appeared in the 1E fiend folio. but then, when the 2E fiend folio MC came out, the shocker in that book had a completely different appearance and stats. weird huh? the PS designers must have noted this, and put BOTH of them in the PSMC3.

now of course, as i understand it, one of these shockers appeared in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but the other did not. you might want to check that out before you proceed. :)

Gish Makai

First Post
BOZ said:
not sure what to do about the whole planar travel thing, but there are all sorts of other similar powers in existence. check out the MoP, maybe there's something in there?

BTW, a note about the shocker you might want to see before you get too involved in converting it. the shocker, of course, originally appeared in the 1E fiend folio. but then, when the 2E fiend folio MC came out, the shocker in that book had a completely different appearance and stats. weird huh? the PS designers must have noted this, and put BOTH of them in the PSMC3.

now of course, as i understand it, one of these shockers appeared in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but the other did not. you might want to check that out before you proceed. :)

Thanks guys. Boz, I checked the one in the RTtToEE and well....the shocker in there is similar to the ones in the PSMC3 but different entirely. There's no mention of the ability I'm looking for, it doesn't list their chain lightning ability, the damage is reduced. Yet some of its abilities are the same as in the PSMC3. Maybe I should just combine them and go from there.

On another note, they make the Shocker to be an Outsider when the description clearly says its made entirely of electrical energy...wouldn't that make it an elemental?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
don't forget the version of the shocker that was a movie, starring mitch pillegi from the x-files. ;)

Remove ads