The balance of OOC and IC

James V

First Post
alright people, I've sat back and all I've heard was a lot of crying about how characters interact through OOC. First off, we should all make things a lot easier by playing characters IC only and keeping the OOC to msn or inside another chat room. I've recently been alienated complete, thrown down and felt so worthless I took a break because I some how got involved in some private rp session I didn't know anything about. I think we all need to understand something. Characters are the characters. We role play them different. for you to express any OOC concern toward a character is so outragious, it ruins role playing, for not only that person, but for a lot of the people around them. I understand private rping, and stuff, look thats all fine and dandy, private role playing, or private storylines, but I do believe what ever is brought into the PUBLIC chat rooms should be made public, and if your character is so insecure about talking in public what the story line has, then I believe they shouldn't be there. Instead you should be on countless different sites or Messangers fixing your private role playing, I do believe though, and this is just my belief, that the only way we can function is keep OOC away from IC, seperate them, and seriously if you can't then maybe you should take a look at yourselves and realize perhaps your own story line you want to interact on the site isn't made for the site. Thats a major problem I believe. After all, enworld is about interaction and fun. I understand some people want private rping experience, or private storylines, they can go do that themselves, but that doesn't mean that when your on the site you should alienate your character away from other characters, hell I was thinking of just making a few characters from the settings and have them naturally react.

My second point is pretty much, there are some realistic things you should keep in mind about life when your role play. Remember two things, there is some one behind the character, and we all have feelings attached and they can be hurt, but some of those players need to grow up, while some of those players and I'm speaking to a VERY VERY wide group of you guys need to stop critizing peoples characters because you don't agree with them, Oh lord how I've heard SO MUCH squabling about so many players characters back and forth OOC, its just flipping crazy. In my opinion, if you don't like the character because of what the character is thats fine, but that doesn't mean you should literally ignore the character, harass the player, make fun of the character, or in any means degrade the character or the player in any OOC fashon. I'm gunna use some examples here to maybe tie this all together cos I am a wee bit dazed after this. Callista's player understands what condition her character is in, and with all the quarkey stuff you see around, I think it almost makes the best descion by not bringing her around without her husband, thats keeping it realistic. Fatora(charm) has her character pretty much keep a very public image, while maintaining a very private story line, which she has done many times over to work by keeping anything on the chat involve people and interacting with them in a public sense, while making sure what private story line has to happen is going to happen in a private manner, with the players she wants involved in, by inviting them, because they best fit the plot perhaps. Doesn't mean that your not a good player...it means your character just doesn't fit the plot is all. Titus's player will tell you if something is wrong and explain to you what bothers him about how its going on, via if the story line is getting to silly, or the atmosphere has become one of more OOC jibberish, but he'll explain, which if your character acts silly or goofy, then perhaps he would annoy titus, but Titus's player explains a bit of the character and how he interacts, which is a great thing. Again that doesn't mean that your character or your playing skills aren't good, it means that your character just doesn't fit the atmosphere at all. So pretty much they've kept OOC and IC seperate, explaing why, which isn't a bad thing at all, while they've maintained their characters integrity IC. I think we should all try to take lessons from some of these players aswell as others, figuring out how to cordinate OOC to make sure the players feelings aren't so offended, while keeping the IC stabilized, and please just use common sense. If your character isn't liked by another it probably has nothing to do with you and mostly something to do with the characters interactions and intentions at the scene, now if your alienated OOC, the best thing to do is to talk it out with them, and if they are to stubborn to talk it out, then they aren't worth your time. I always find talking with some one can get the problems solved the fastest.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I debate long and hard whether to post:

Of late, I've given up on a -lot- of OOC interaction. Why? For the reason that a) it's rather time consuming b) It's lunacy...

ISRP contacts make up the largest group on my messenger...and people wonder why I dont log on. I have at least 40 of ya's, c'mon, gimme a break!

b) Seriously, I have fwiends....who go clubbing with me, who come 4x4ing with me, who live life with me. RPing is my escape. I dont really really care about how your day was, how you're feeling, what you're up to...what I really really care about, is are you gonna RP with me today? What's happening in the life of your character? How can/should this react/impact my character? If my doing something IC hurts ya OOC, well, I do appologise, though I cant say I'm really sorry, my character is acting as they would. If that's mean...then...it's mean. People do the same to me, and yeah, I'm like, well *sigh* that kinda sucked...then 20 minutes later I'm brainstorming on how to fix the damage done! Maybe I'm just thick skinned.

I guess I have the added bonus of the pacific ocean to alienate me...but that's good. It means I more often get down to some solid RPin'. I have my pick of folks to RP with, but that changes with the seasons and storylines. Of course there's always old favourites, but seriously, everyone has the opportunity to be a good RPer. You just need creativity...and inspiration. I get my inspiration often from other people. That's why I come here; to theive all your ideas.

So please...get up me about my attitude if you want...or my RPing style. When the time comes, I'm there, always will be.

Mayu Amakura

Banned
Banned
Man, what an on going event. xD Everyday it is something new. *sniffles* Can't we all just get along?

All I have to say is, may all this disperse soon, so we can all get back to RPing and having FUN.

Ruthia

First Post
IC is IC and OOC is OOC....people just need to learn to keep the two seperate. I know several players who in real life from what little I've talked to the OOC I probaly would have never interacted with, but IC my character gets along just fine with theirs. Pople have to relax and chill and remember that if you learn something OOC...that doesn't give you the right to base IC judgement off it.

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Okay, people... You can only beat a dead horse for so long! Let it go. Things happen. People don't have to like or interact with other people. Everyone has different RP ethnics. Having huge mass community rantings on what is or isn't good RPing is all very subjective. Complaining on endlessly that people were scorned (or had their feelings hurt) isn't going to get anyone any thing more but maybe some face value pity. A lot of these complaints come across as personal one-on-one incidents that are being taken out on the whole community instead of just going to the player and then when the community doesn't respond as expected in turns into a cry of "Everybody hates me!".

Last edited:

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Mayu Amakura said:
Oh! Ohhh! I have a suggestion! Why not just have the Magi close this thread?

That solves everything! n_n!
The first thread was closed because the person who opened the thread requested that it be closed. Anyone has that option: if they open the discussion, they can ask it be closed.

The second thread was closed because it was heading into personal insults. That's against the Code of Conduct.

This one was started as a serious look at what sorts of interactions help or hinder RPing. Additional grumpiness or whining might be annoying (and, unfortunately, expected), but isn't actionable in my book.

Mayu Amakura

Banned
Banned
*giggles* I made no reference to the other threads, but that's ok. I get your point. I was mearly making a suggestion, seemed like a good one at the time.

No need to defend you or your fellow colleagues, I mean no harm. n_n

shistal

First Post
Okay peeps I'm not complaining or anything but....why do people get pissy then put IC to OCC with the other player. I have a friend who she and I made this wonderful character, this character was like the best we made together. Then someone comes in and complains that this character is not right and needs to be changed. CHANGE. Just because you don't like that character and want it that player to change the character for their own personal use. I'm sorry but that's so wrong. No one has the right to tell someone to change their character. But she and I are slowly bring this character we made back to her original state. Again if you have complaints about my post you can email at niro_x@hotmail.com and I would happily answer those complaints but please people if you don't like the character don't tell the player that they need to change that character. Thank you for reading this and please don't be mad at me because I spoke what I feel is wrong.

Your fellow role playing friend

Kallikrates

First Post
I second that Shistal.

No need to change the way a character looks/acts/thinks because of someone else's opinion. Unless it's the Magis! :D

Seriously though, I can see that IC interactions where one character may not like another character's looks etcetera, but that doesn't give the character's player any rights to start complaining.

Remove ads