A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Bless is a 50' burst, so should cover the entire ship, except people who are somehow in total cover from Tarag.

With our customary attention to detail, we have now somehow created one extra crewmember. The mate with Fimble, two each for Rapture and Galwynn, three each for Keldar and Tommy, and now two for Tarag... but one of these is the boy up in the crow's nest. I'd suppose he's Tarag's, since he went unclaimed till now, but since Keldar armed him with javelins, I also suppose Keldar's man in A8, to whom he has been talking, could go 'poof' and reappear in the crow's nest.[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
[sblock=OOC]When I read the spell description for Bless I thought it meant that the 50 ft referred to the total diameter of the sphere but the reference to range as 50 ft makes it clear that Trouvere is correct. I'll modify the IC entry accordingly.

Let's leave the personnel deployment as T last described it.[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
You can begin to see a dark shape against the night sky. It's definitely a ship.

Fimble whips out his crossbow and takes aim. "I can see them clearly now, they're assembled along their port rail. To the left are some burly looking brutes. Next to them are three skinnier men. Just behind them is an elf standing back, I think he's the captain, he's the one shouting orders. And at the ship's aft are three elves and a man at the helm. Oh, and someone's in the crow's nest with a longbow!" Fimble ducks as an arrow streaks through the night air at the merchant ship's first mate. Fimble attempts to return the shot, but also misses. "Crumbs, they're crouching behind the rail!"

The pirate ship is close enough to distinguish silhouettes, now. The water around the swiftly moving ships is a little choppy. Fimble calls to everybody, "Here they come, from the starboard side! Brace yourselves, we're going to collide!" The first mate shouts, "I am not being able to steer us away fast enough!"

OOC: There are 3 rounds before the ships collide and melee is an option. During those rounds, you can make ranged attacks and move around. For simplicity's sake, in Round 1 the ship is 2 range increments away, Round 2: 1 range increment, and Round 3: 0 range increments. (Don't forget combat bonuses like higher ground and Bless!)

Check the map to make sure your characters are where you want them, and to make any adjustments if you want (note that the grid numbers/letters have been changed).

[sblock=Initiative and Map Legend] Fim - Fimble (HP: 19 )
K - Keldar (HP: 21 )
Kw - Keldar's Whip Wielder (HP: 5 )
K2 - Keldar's 2nd (HP: 5 )
K3 - Keldar's 3rd (HP: 5 )
7 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
8 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
9 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
4 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
5 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
6 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
Ta - Tarag (HP: 26 )
TW - Tarag's Will (Crow's Nest) (HP: 5 )
TJ - Tarag's James (HP: 5 )
FM - First Mate (HP: 13 )
R - Rapture (HP: 31 )
RL - Rapture's Lenny (HP: 5 )
RK - Rapture's Karl (HP: 5 )
1 - Spineless Sniping Scumbag (Damage: 0 )
2 - First Matey (Damage: 0 )
3 - La Capitan (Damage: 0 )
10 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
11 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
12 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
To - Tommy (HP: 13 )
TF - Tommy's Franz (HP: 5 )
TI - Tommy's Ivan (HP: 5 )
TM - Tommy's Marcus (HP: 5 )
G - Galwynn (HP: 28 )
GM - Galwynn's Marlowe (HP: 5 )
GP - Galwynn's Pitr (HP: 5 )

So... many... characters... **Sob!**[/sblock]

Attachments

• ships.jpg
    ships.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 200

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy Worthallingham, Wizard 3, AC 16, HP 13

Tommy squints into the gloom and curses softly as he sees the archer in the masthead. "Marcus, take this. Try to thin out some of the big ugly guys in the front," he says, handing his crossbow and bolts to the crewman (move action?), who takes it, loads it, and fires a bolt into the water. "Steady there, Marcus, take your time," Tommy says encouragingly. Meanwhile, he casts another protective spell, causing a nearly invisible screen to shimmer into place around him. Franz and Ivan wait grimly, hunkering down as best they can behind whatever cover is available.

[sblock=ooc]I'm not sure if Marcus can take the crossbow and still load it and fire it this turn. If not, he'll hold his shot till next round... when it still won't hit. Tommy casts Protection from Arrows, gaining DR 10/magic against ranged weapons for 3 hours, absorbing up to 30 pts of damage. Marcus' shot: 1d20-1=7 to hit, 1d8=1 damage.

[sblock=spells]
Spells per day: 4/3/2
Save DC: 14 + spell lvl
0: Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1: Mage Armor, Unseen Servant, Grease
2: Scorching Ray, Prot. from Arrows
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=for covaithe]
re:

tommy said:
Tommy squints into the gloom and curses softly as he sees the archer in the masthead

curse that humant thing! don't you wish you had the spell "low-light vision" right now!?

keep up the posting for this thread. it (usually) humors me greatly to read you'lls thread! its like reading the funnies in the newspaper!
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar sends an arrow into the gloom. He can't even see whether it hits. "We need light over there now!" he snaps. He ducks down next to the rail and motions his men to take cover too.

OOC: aiming at Burly 6; 1d20 +6 -4 range +1 bless =11; if it somehow hits, then 7 damage; 37 arrows remaining

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Ok, then the post should stand as written. Oh, one more question: spells don't have range increments, so how should I deal with that? I'm guessing magic missile (medium range, 110' + 10'/level) can probably hit at one range increment but not two, yes? Close range spells I'll probably save for the melee phase of things, where I assume we'll be using normal range rules.

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag strides forward (OOC: to C7) and raises his hands in supplication to the Forge God. As he does so, a shower of sparks fall like the tiniest pinpricks on all his allies. They disappear before they can burn, leaving in their place a fiery determination to prevail over all foes.

OOC: By moving to that point, I think he overcomes the problems of cover which the masts present for some of his allies.

Wik

First Post
Galwynn looks out into the darkness, closing his eyes in the hopes of sensing the evil that clings to some men's auras. (DETECT EVIL, aiming it at the elves first)

"Keep your heads down, you two. They have bows, and we don't. We'll get into the fight soon enough"

Both Marlow and Pitr duck down out of sight, not quite going prone but doing their best to use the rails as protection. Pitr keeps peeking over the rail to see the approaching ship, until Marlowe pulls him down.

"Keep your head down, you fool!"

Meanwhile, Galwynn stands out, sensing for evil, only half-protected by any cover nearby.

[sblock=Galwynn's Companions (2)]
Crew
Pitr, brash youth
Human Expert 1, 5 HP
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
AC 14, Touch 12, FF 12
Melee +2 cutlass (scimitar) (1d6+2/18-20x2)
BAB +0, Grp +2
Feats: Deft Hands, Skill Focus: Climb

Marlowe, Veteran Sailor
Crew
Human Expert 1, 5 HP
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
AC 14, Touch 12, FF 12
Melee +2 cutlass (scimitar) (1d6+2/18-20x2)
BAB +0, Grp +2
Feats: Endurance, Skill Focus (Sailor)
[/sblock]

Remove ads