A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: holding off on K1-K3 actions until I see who has fallen over; if Rapture has, then Keldar will be a little less blithe and may shout for help. Otherwise they'll just go on total defense.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: A quick note. I said that everybody is flat-footed, but I left out the fact that if you have 5 or more ranks in Balance, you are not flat-footed.

Wik

First Post
Galwynn, hindered by his heavy armour, is not expecting the strike and is thrown to the ground. Marlowe was able to hold onto the rails, while Petr hit the ground almost as hardly as Galwynn, though he is easily able to scramble back to his feet.

Galwynn's MIserable Balance Check. (1d20-5=0)
Marlowe, Petr's Balance checks. (1d20+6=11, 1d20+6=7)

Galwynn, hindered by his armour, struggles to get up.

"Lift me up! Lift me up!" He curses, before he is given a hand by Marlowe.

When he finally gets to his feet, Galwynn and his men will take their remaining move actions to get close to the fight.

Realizing that there willl be a bottleneck, Galwynn shouts to the mate. "Get these ships side by side!"

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar's voice trails off as he sees Rapture go sprawling. "Help her!" he says, involuntarily. One of his men responds instantly. Setting his jaw, he races for the prow of the boat where it seems the pirates will be free to cross. But as he turns to face his opponent, he raises his cutlass defensively and makes no attack.

Seeing his mate move into danger, the man on the port rail also moves up, to stand in the midst of Galwynn, Rapture and Keldar. As Keldar before him, he sends a missile towards the feathered man at the enemy's rail. He's inspired.

OOC: K3 to B13, total defense (AC 10+2+4=16); K2 to B11; throws a javelin at B5: 1d20+2=22; 1d6+2=7; crit confirmation 1d20+2=17, 1d6+2=6. Now the round can commence properly!

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Keldar's team stays on their feet. Their leader fearlessly jumps into the fray and fires a deadly shot into “Bilgeface”'s abdomen. Bilgeface takes it like a fish flap and remains standing. (K move to A10, fire at B5, 10 damage)

Keldar's companions hang back a moment, but then Rapture falls with the jerking of the ship. They rush forward to her defense. One takes an open spot on the prow, the other moves into position and launches one of Keldar's javelins with a strength he didn't know he head. The projectile slides neatly through Bilgeface's thick throat. Instantly blood pours from the mortal wound, and Bilgeface falls to the deck, dead. (K3 to B13 total defense, K2 to B11 kills B5, Kw delays)

The sly looking fellows reach into their clothes and pull out daggers to unleash a barrage of flying sharp objects at close range. The first, “Swifty”, fails to hit Rapture's Karl. (7 atk RK, miss) The first, "Swifty", tosses his dagger with only average skill, but the swaying of the boat throws Karl's balance and he stumbles right into the flying weapon. He falls, bleeding. (7 atk RK, 8 damage)

The second, “Sneaky”, succeeds. His dagger impales Karl in the chest, but against all odds he remains standing. (8 atk RK, 3 damage) changes targets, aiming for Galwynn's Marlowe instead. His dagger impales Marlowe in the chest, but against all odds he remains standing. (8 atk GM, 3 damage)

The third, “Seadog”, attempts to finish Karl Marlowe off, but fails. (9 atk RM, miss) and just barely nicks an artery in poor old Marlowe's throat. The man goes down. (9 atk GM, 9 damage)

The man threatening Rapture gives her a cursory glance and then throws his body at Keldar's third crewman. The unfortunate man puts up an excellent fight, but he's no match for “Burly”'s prowess, and Keldar's buddy tumbles screaming overboard. (4 bull rush K3, success, move to B13)

Burly's move gives “Blaggard” a chance at the prone Rapture. The ugly, scar-faced Blaggard advances quickly and brings down his huge falchion on the helpless paladin. Rapture rolls out of the way easily, and the power of the attack is wasted splintering the wood of the deck. (6 move to C13, atk R, miss)

Tarag and Rapture are up. 'Nock has been pretty busy of late, so I plan to NPC Tarag tomorrow evening if we don't hear from 'Nock by then.

[sblock=Initiative and Map Legend]
Fim - Fimble (HP: 19 )
K - Keldar (HP: 21 )
Kw - Keldar's Whip Wielder (HP: 5 )
K2 - Keldar's 2nd (HP: 5 )
K3 - Keldar's 3rd (HP: 5 , swimming )
7 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
8 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
9 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
4 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 3 )
5 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 23 , dead )
6 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
Ta - Tarag (HP: 26 )
TW - Tarag's Will (Crow's Nest) (HP: 5 )
TJ - Tarag's James (HP: 5 )
FM - Merchant First Mate (HP: 13 )
R - Rapture (HP: 31 )
RL - Rapture's Lenny (HP: 5 )
RK - Rapture's Karl (HP: -3 )
1 - Spineless Sniping Scumbag (Damage: 9 )
2 - Pirate First Matey (Damage: 0 )
3 - La Capitan (Damage: 0 )
10 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
11 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
12 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
To - Tommy (HP: 13 )
TF - Tommy's Franz (HP: 5 )
TI - Tommy's Ivan (HP: 5 )
TM - Tommy's Marcus (HP: 5 )
G - Galwynn (HP: 28 )
GM - Galwynn's Marlowe (HP: 2 )
GP - Galwynn's Pitr (HP: 5 )
[/sblock]

Attachments

• ships-collide-1.jpg
    ships-collide-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I know I said I'd NPC Tarag tonight, but life just delivered me a very angry slap. I'll most likely be spending the weekend on the phone with tech support, sorry for the inevitable delays it will cause...

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Right, I actually have a chance to post something.

IC (Round #2): When Will is hit, Tarag calls out, "Get down here, lad, I can't heal you while you're up there. I thought I told you to stand beside me, anyway."

As he shouts at the wounded sailor, he eyes the distance to the oncoming ship and shakes his head. "There's no way I'll make that shot," he mutters.

Instead, he makes the mystic passes which call on Chennet's Guidance.

OOC: I assume Will can be down on deck and at Tarag's side in time for him to cast CMinW in round #3. (Sorry, but I think I need to reserve the more powerful spells for the other PCs.)

IC (Round #3): Tarag casts CMinW on Will, staunching the worst of the blood loss, then says sternly to the still-pale and shaky youngster, "Now make sure you duck next time!"

IC (Round #4): When the ships collide, the dwarf is thrown violently backwards. Struggling to get to his feet, he snaps at the two sailors, both of whom have ridden the shock, "Well, don't just stand there, get me up!"

OOC: A Rather Odd Shovel: Pirates; Balance checks for Tarag, Will & James (includes +2 circ. bonus for W & J) (1d20-7=1, 1d20+8=13, 1d20+8=21)

IC: (Round #4, cont.): When he's on his feet again, he snarls, "That does it! Now they're going to burn!"

He chants a brief prayer before reaching out in front of him. The sailors' eyes nearly pop out of their heads when his hand disappears into an unseen space and then is pulled back wreathed in flames. He leans back, and hurls a gout of fire at the enemy ship.

OOC: A Rather Odd Shovel: Pirates; Rnd #4; Produce Flame ranged touch attack against #12: (1d20+3=9, 1d6+3=7)

[sblock=Spells & Turnings]Spells per day: 4 / 3+1/2+1

Orisons:
Detect Magic
Guidance
Guidance
Light

Level 1:
Bless
Burning hands (Fire domain)
Divine Favor
Shield of Faith

Level 2: