A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOG: So I'm leaving the country for about 2 months, starting on Tuesday. I'll be going to Japan, where I'll be touring/working. The first couple of weeks I will most likely be absent from the boards. I won't be able to resist logging in a couple of times, but I anticipate being way too busy to spend significant amounts of time on LEW.

Once I get settled in, I hope to return to a more normal schedule. I'll keep you posted.

Wik

First Post
OOC: Have fun in Japan!

2 Point Power Attack on Captain, with smite (1d20+8=23, 2d6+10=17)

Galwynn, warding off the blows of many foes around him, still focuses on his swordfight with the captain. Quicker than he, he finds himself on the defensive far too often for his taste.

With a grimace, he brings his sword in low, and forces his blade across her, channeling Halina's divine fury. The sound of angelic children, chanting in unison, seems to hum along his plain blade - and, for a moment, his ragged armour almost seems to shine.

Galwynn's two companions, Petr and Marlowe, engage the pirate in front of them. Marlowe and Petr switch positions, and Petr is able to take a swing with his blade at the pirate flanking Galwynn - swinging from behind, as the Pirate is focused on stabbing Galwynn in the back.

Petr's flanking attack (1d20+4=12, 1d6+2=5)

(OOC: The stats for these crewmen say they deal 1d6+2 damage with their scimitars. With a strength of 15, that makes sense. But they're not using shields... can they attack with two hands? You can with a longsword. I'm not adding the damage bonus in my roll, but if they can, Petr will do so, dealing an additional point of damage).

[sblock=Galwynn's Companions (2)]
Crew
Pitr, brash youth
Human Expert 1, 5 HP
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
AC 14, Touch 12, FF 12
Melee +2 cutlass (scimitar) (1d6+2/18-20x2)
BAB +0, Grp +2
Feats: Deft Hands, Skill Focus: Climb

Marlowe, Veteran Sailor
Crew
Human Expert 1, 2/5 HP
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
AC 14, Touch 12, FF 12
Melee +2 cutlass (scimitar) (1d6+2/18-20x2)
BAB +0, Grp +2
Feats: Endurance, Skill Focus (Sailor)
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: I don't think Tommy gets to act again this round, since his readied action fired. If you rule otherwise, then he'll cast unseen servant and direct it to bring Rapture a rope, then return.

Marcus drops the crossbow and draws his scimitar. He and Franz go total defense. Ivan waits impatiently for his turn at the action. (Ready action to step forward into their place if either Franz or Marcus falls.)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Okay, here's a little something to help stem the tide. I'm still very busy, but I had some free time (and an internet connection) this afternoon.

Round 6:

Again the ships slam together and shake the foundation of your little floating world. Some stay standing, two (Seadog and the midship elf (P12)) fall prone.

On the merchant's side, the first mate stay standing, but Fimble falls flat on his bulbous nose.

The first mate stabs at Fimble, who can't avoid the attack while wallowing around on the ground. (6 damage to Fimble)

The midship elf crawls back and gets on his feet.

The other two take advantage of Fimble's position and stab away with their rapiers. Even these two sea-hardened pirates, however, are thrown by the violent rocking of the ship.

The captain, devastated by Galwynn's blow, takes a step back, pulls out a potion, and swigs the whole bottle. (consumed CSW pot, 13 damage healed)

Galwynn and his men... (need to roll balance checks before taking actions)

[sblock=Initiative and Map Legend]
2 - Pirate First Matey (Damage: 0 )
10 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
11 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 0 )
12 - Tough Swashbucklin' Elves (Damage: 6 )
3 - La Capitan (Damage: 7 )
G - Galwynn (HP: 28 )
GM - Galwynn's Marlowe (HP: 2 )
GP - Galwynn's Pitr (HP: 5 )
Fim - Fimble (HP: 13 , prone )
K - Keldar (HP: 21 )
Kw - Keldar's Whip Wielder (HP: 5 )
K2 - Keldar's 2nd (HP: 5 )
K3 - Keldar's 3rd (HP: 5 , swimming )
7 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
8 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
9 - Swift N' Sneaky Seadogs (Damage: 0 )
4 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 27 , dead )
5 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 23 , dead )
6 - Burly Bilgefaced Blaggards (Damage: 0 )
Ta - Tarag (HP: 26 )
TW - Tarag's Will (Crow's Nest) (HP: 5 )
TJ - Tarag's James (HP: 5 )
FM - Merchant First Mate (HP: 13 )
R - Rapture (HP: 31 , swimming )
RL - Rapture's Lenny (HP: 5 )
RK - Rapture's Karl (HP: -3 , down and stable )
To - Tommy (HP: 13 )
1 - Spineless Sniping Scumbag (Damage: 14 , down )
TF - Tommy's Franz (HP: 5 )
TI - Tommy's Ivan (HP: 5 )
TM - Tommy's Marcus (HP: 5 )
[/sblock]
OOC: PS, yes Rapture is still in the water. She can climb out on the rope provided by Kaytoo. ;)

Attachments

• ships90.jpg
    ships90.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 256

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I think some people are misplaced in the most recent map. Pirate 4 is dead, of course. Lenny stepped back to B9 after killing him, as shown in the previous map. Pirate 3, la capitan, stepped back to drink her potion, presumably to our E10 (her B3), but possibly to a different square.

Can Galwynn and team not just stand back up, 5' step where necessary, and make whatever attacks are still possible? I don't think Marlowe and Pitr's proposed switcheroo is legal, though, since it would mean Marlowe ending his turn in a momentarily occupied square. He could move elsewhere or step to B7 or B8.

Rules query:
Someone who is Balancing is flatfooted, so loses Dex to AC and can be sneak attacked. Someone who is Prone takes a -4 penalty to AC, but does not additionally lose Dex to AC.
You can certainly be Balancing without being Prone. You can also find yourself Prone without Balance ever being involved (if you've been tripped, if you've just woken up, or if you're so lazy you took the Prone Attack feat). And you can of course be both Prone and Flat-footed. But can you be both Prone and Balancing - or if you go Prone because you've failed a Balance check, is the Balancing condition superceded? I can see there might very well be a difference between simply lying on the ground on one hand, versus sprawling on a heaving deck or slipping about on your back in a Greased area on the other, which could/should be represented by stacking the conditions.
If falling Prone ends Balancing, you get the paradoxical situation that you'd generally be better off failing your Balance checks when fighting a Rogue.
This matters if Keldar attacks Pirate 9, who is Prone.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: Balance checks for Keldar (1d20+3 ranks +3 Dex +2 rail support), KW and K2 (1d20+4+2+2) all successful.[sblock=Rant]However, I'll note that even though these checks were made, yet again I've rolled 9 or less on important rolls, for a grand total now of 15 of my last 16 rolls. If I remember right, the probability of rolling above 9 only once in 16 rolls is 0.00006! This is fast slipping out of the reasonable bounds of probability. I'd be happy just with the occasional 12, you know. Anyone have an idea what character/class would need to touch the dice least often? A buffing Cleric or Bard, perhaps?[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC: ]Thanks for keeping things on track, Trouvere. I've corrected the map.

Galwynn and company still need to act this round (they're up next in the initiative).

Fimble is in between a rock and a hard place. I guess he should have moved out of the way, but I wanted him in place for a color spray. That kind of backfired. If I have him crawl back and stand up in a friendly square, can he end his turn in the friendly square? I'm not clear on the rules for that kind of thing; I just avoid ending in friendly squares.

It makes sense to me that a prone person who is prone because they lost their balance is still "balancing" and thus continues to lose their Dex bonus (and thus is sneak-attackable).

Also, I'm a little concerned that Invisible Castle's search function no longer works. I may need to switch to a different online dice roller, because it's been broken for a long time now.

So, Galwynn and co., go! And Keldar + co. can also post actions.[/sblock]

Attachments

• ships90.jpg
    ships90.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 263

Remove ads