Entromancer

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
No, not the Entropomancer, this is the Entromancer, a master of the arcane arts that is able to take control of magic around him. This is a bizarre class written by one of my contributors. It is part of the Amethyst D20 rulebook coming out in March. I wanted to share it with everyone and see if...well...it makes any sense.

The PDF can be found here (it includes fluff and sketch artwork).

ENTROMANCER
Table: The Entromancer
Base Attack Bonus: Poor
Fort / Ref / Will: Poor / Poor/ Good
1st: Superiority / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
2nd: Dispel of Opportunity / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
3rd: Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
4th: Grounding / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
5th: Dispel of Opportunity / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
6th: Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
7th: Seize Magic / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
8th: Dispel of Opportunity / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
9th: Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class
10th: Unmaking / Spell Progression: +1 level of existing class

Hit Dice: d4

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become an entromancer, a character must meet all of the following criteria.
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells.
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks
Feats: Spell Focus (Any one school), Skill Focus (Spell-craft), Improved Counterspell.
Origin: Must be laudenian (a type of elf)
Totem: Must select staff (this is an Amethyst rule and can be ignored because it has no baring on what follows).

CLASS SKILLS
The entromancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the laudenian
entromancer prestige class.

Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: The entromancer cannot use any entromancer class features while wearing any armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new entromancer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in the previous arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Superiority (Ex): At 1st level, the entromancer adds his Int bonus to caster level checks and to the DC of spellcraft checks to identify spells as they are being cast, up to a maximum of their entromancer class level.

Dispel of Opportunity (Su): An entromancer of 2nd level may lose a prepared spell of 3rd level or greater to immediately cast Dispel Magic to dispel another spellcaster's spell. This happens as if the entromancer had a prepared action to dispel. This counts as the entromancer's next turn's actions. He is already considered to have acted once his turn comes around. Once the entromancer learns Greater Dispel Magic, he can lose a spell of 6th level to use Greater Dispel for the check. At tenth level, he can use Unmaking for this ability as well. This counts as a use of Unmaking if he does. The entromancer can use this ability 1/day at 2nd level, 2/day at 5th level, and 3/day at 8th level.

Grounding (Su): An entromancer at 4th level can choose to take a -10 penalty on a targeted dispel check. If the check succeeds, the highest-level spell that is dispelled is also grounded out. The subject of the targeted dispel suffers 1d6 points of damage per spell level of the dispelled spell.

Seize Magic (Su): Once per day when countering a spell as it is cast with Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel, the entromancer can take a -10 to the dispel check to seize the spell. When the entromancer seizes the spell, it is not dispelled. The entromancer takes control of it. The save DC and damage are as from the original caster. All selectable parameters of the spell such as target and shape are chosen by the entromancer. The entromancer is treated as the caster for all other intents and purposes.

Unmaking (Sp): At 10th level, the entromancer is able to unravel the magical power of a target. The range is 100 ft. + 10ft/ entromancer level. The entromancer can use Unmaking. Unmaking can be used three ways.
Counterspell: If targeted to be used as a counterspell, it counters the spell being cast and stops all spellcasting or spell-like abilities from being used by the target for 1d4 rounds.
Target: If directed at a target, Unmaking immediately strips all magic spells and spell-like effects from the target. This applies to positive and negative effects. It also suppresses magic items, spell casting, and spell-like abilities on the target for 1d4 rounds.
Item: If used against a specific unattended item (not carried by someone) via touch, Unmaking suppresses all trace of magic for 2d6 days and the entromancer makes a caster level check. The level check is the % chance that the item is suppressed for 2d6 years.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It reminds me a little bit of the Spellthief.

Suggestion #1: Change the name. Too many people are going to mangle it. Try something like "Mana-Lord," "Wonderweaver" or "Spellwarper"...

Suggestion #2: Were I designing this class, I'd use some kind of Fatigue mechanic. Overriding someone else's magic (as opposed to merely countering/dispelling) would seem to be exhausting.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not sure.

The game's default mechanics for Dispel and Counterspell are somewhat clunky- I can honestly say I've never seen a successful Dispel/Counterspell build- and this merely taps into it.

It might be more interesting and effective if you tried to go with a completely different set of base assumptions.

For example, perhaps this class doesn't have true spells, but some spell-like abilities. Instead of using the prototypical Mage as its base (evidenced by the +1 Spellcasting class), give the class its own unique properties- perhaps modeled on Dragon Shaman/Marshal auras, Warlock or Kineticist (etc.) bolts, Hexblade curses, or on the various Alternative Class Features found in Unearthed Arcana, Complete Mage, or PHB2.

(With all that in mind, take a close look at the Spellfire feat and the Spellfire Wielder PrCl in Forgotten Realms products, both for ideas and to avoid on going too far in that direction.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not sure.

IME, the game's default mechanics for Dispel and Counterspell are somewhat clunky- I can honestly say I've never seen a successful Dispel/Counterspell build- and this merely taps into it.

It might be more interesting and effective if you tried to go with a completely different set of base assumptions.

For example, perhaps this class doesn't have true spells, but some spell-like abilities. Instead of using the prototypical Mage as its base (evidenced by the +1 Spellcasting class), give the class its own unique properties- perhaps modeled on Dragon Shaman/Marshal auras, Warlock or Kineticist (etc.) bolts, Hexblade curses, or on the various Alternative Class Features found in Unearthed Arcana, Complete Mage, or PHB2.

(With all that in mind, take a close look at the Spellfire feat and the Spellfire Wielder PrCl in Forgotten Realms products, both for ideas and to avoid on going too far in that direction.)

Dias Ex Machina

Dannyalcatraz said:
It reminds me a little bit of the Spellthief.

Suggestion #1: Change the name. Too many people are going to mangle it. Try something like "Mana-Lord," "Wonderweaver" or "Spellwarper"...

Well apparently, you have sway with my company, cause I just got voted out. Entromancer has been renamed. No, not Mana-Lord or Wonderweaver.

It is now being called Urmage.

That's right...Urmage.

Arkhandus

First Post
I don't like Entromancer as a name.

It doesn't work. It's too much like Entropomancer, for one thing, and I don't know if Entro has any real meaning by itself.

It'd be more appropriately called an Exomancer. Exo means external, outside, or outer. Endo means inner, inside, or internal. Entro is too much like Endo to make any sense as the name of the class.

That nit-pick aside.....

The class needs some serious rewording and fixing/clarification. Putting aside the sometimes poor use of English (which I can understand, at least, seeing as you're in Canada, so I would guess that French may be your primary language), there are some definite snafus in the writing. You mention dispel or dispelling sometimes when it should say "counterspelling" or "counter a spell".

The class' prerequisites should, I dunno, probably include a clause saying that they must know and be able to cast the spell "Dispel Magic." Seeing as it's so integral to the class and its concept, I should think that knowing that cornerstone spell would be mandatory for entering the class and receiving its abilities. The Dispel of Opportunity ability doesn't state that they need to know Dispel Magic in order to use it, so it effectively gives them the use of it for free for 1, 2, or 3 times per day, otherwise.

Superiority should say that it affects the DC of Spellcraft checks to identify any spells cast by the Entromancer (or whatever you end up calling the class). As it stands, the wording implies that the ability just makes it harder for Entromancers themselves to identify spells, which is a drawback, not a benefit.

Dispel of Opportunity needs some instances of "dispel" replaced with the "counterspell," "counterspelling," "countering a spell," or "counter a spell." In order to make sense and properly infer what I'm sure was the actual intended function of the ability, anyway. To counter spells using Dispel Magic at a moment's notice.

However, if you meant for it to simply try dispelling an active effect immediately after the enemy spell has been cast, then I could be wrong. The clause for Greater Dispelling should probably state that they can use a spell slot of 6th-level or higher for the Greater Dispelling, since right now it just says that they have to use a 6th-level slot specifically.

Also, the ability needs clarification on how the action works; does the character have to be aware of the spellcasting and able to take action? For example. I'd just add a line saying that Dispel of Opportunity may only be used when the Entromancer could use an immediate action, except that it does not use an immediate action itself, so it can be used in the same round as any other immediate action.

Grounding and Seize Magic both require taking a hefty penalty on dispel checks in order to function. I might suggest lowering the penalty to -5 instead of -10, but I dunno. I'm just not sure there's much of a chance for those abilities to ever succeed at -10 to the check.

The wording for Seize Magic is kinda wierd but I guess it works.

Unmaking is just ridiculously broken, and wrong, and messed up. :\
Also: the Counterspelling use of Unmaking is fairly worthless since the Target use of it serves basically the same purpose but without the requirement of counterspelling someone first.
The Target and Item uses of Unmaking are even more horribly broken than the Counterspelling use of it. Unmaking can basically destroy artifacts, since it renders them inert and nonmagical, allowing anyone to smash them easily. It nullifies the spells and abilities and magic items of GODS without fail. It has no chance of failure, doesn't require attack rolls or saving throws or anything.

And, of course, Unmaking has no limitations or restrictions listed. It is apparently useable at-will, with the only restriction being that it is spell-like, and therefore can't be used inside an Antimagic Field or a dead magic zone.

That last ability is really a stinker and I'm dismayed by the fact that someone put that thing together and nobody involved in writing or posting it realized that something was wrong with it.

Dias Ex Machina

Arkhandus said:
I don't like Entromancer as a name.

The class needs some serious rewording and fixing/clarification. Putting aside the sometimes poor use of English (which I can understand, at least, seeing as you're in Canada, so I would guess that French may be your primary language), there are some definite snafus in the writing. You mention dispel or dispelling sometimes when it should say "counterspelling" or "counter a spell".

I'm from British Columbia, so I am going to try and ignore that comment and respond civil-like.

Point 1: Entromancer comes from Entropy, which fit at the time. We changed it to Urmage because these were the first spellcasters from the first race of elves.

Point 2: Dispel of Opportunity does not grant use of Dispel Magic if you don't know it. It says you can immediately cast it. You can't cast a spell you don't know.

Point 3: The word dispel is used because it is not exactly the same thing as counter spelling. If we used counter spell to describe the action it would imply an automatic success. It is an application of Dispel Magic used as a counter spell and, as such, requires a dispel check. We used the word dispel to avoid that implication while trying to keep the description concise. The language of these abilities is already stilted enough trying to close loopholes munchkins might try to abuse. Counter spell is a special word that has an exact meaning in D&D rules. Dispel is an English word that was being used to describe a type of action. The ability specifies how the action works. It works exactly as if they had a prepared action to counter spell. All the specifications for that action are used.

Point 4: Another point I should have mentioned is that Amethyst D20 has no spells above 6th level. There are more powerful spells, but they are handled differently.

Point 5: For the DC's of Grounding and Seize Magic, please re-read Superiority. Ur-Mages can make these checks. But it's still supposed to be a gamble. Win big, lose big. It's a balance issue. If these abilities were a gimmie, the class gets too powerful.

Point 6: Unmaking was supposed to be used only once a day...that was our mistake.

Point 7: Unmaking. Yes it's big. It's supposed to be. This ability is really has to be considered in the context of the setting it's meant to be used in. It can't be used as a general thing for any setting. In its setting there are going to be less people in the world that can use this ability than you have fingers on one hand. Also, it's what this class gives up for ever being able to cast spells above 6th level. No Meteor Swarm, no Wish, no Mordekanin's Disjunction. In this setting, there are no gods and the main villains that PC's of this level will be fighting will not be significantly affected by this spell as most of their abilities are inherent, not granted by items. There are no saves or attack rolls because it's only once a day and only for 1d4 rounds. This one isn't supposed to be a gamble. There actually aren’t many useful targets in this setting for this ability. Either it's useless because it'll have little effect or useless because the target is not using much magic anyway, and brought 1,000 buddies. If used against the PC's in a party, there are already plenty of ways to take a party member out of a fight for a few rounds at a DM's disposal anyway. Yeah, the Targeted affect should not lock spell casting and spell-like abilities. There are no artifacts in the setting except for the ones listed in the DM's section. And the artifact sections there specifically states that all the artifacts are immune to mortal magic of any kind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases