The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Guess I'm the one who has least need of relying on chants," say Kraken ruefully. "If it needs to be a person, cast it on me, eh? Which reminds me, those dog things, don't let their quills get into you or they'll burrow in like scar-worms, eh? And my old sword here weren't much use against 'em, even though she's got a bit of the old spirit-touched. Maybe they need something better for breaking bones, eh?" He begins hunting about for a piece of wood suitable for use as a club or staff of some kind.

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 21 (T13, FF18), HP 60/60, F +5,R+5,W+5
Eldritch blast: +7/+8, 4d6 damage
Short Sword +1, Icy +8, 1d6+3+1d6 ice on command

"I wanted to suggest actually me. I can fight at melee and ranged and my powers even work in magical silence, as our last fight proofed."

[sblock=ooc]
Glaive

active invocations: See the Unseen, Entropic Warding, DR 2 / cold iron
at-will: Blast, Glaive (+1d6 acid with shard focus), Detect Magic, Teleport, Shatter
Devil's Favor: 3/3 (+2 bonus on attack, save, or check)
Devil's Stamina: 1/1 (fast healing 3 for 5 rounds)
Bracers of Entangling Blast: 3/3
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture: 3/3
Healing Belt: 3/3
Wand: 37/50
[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
While the others discuss the best way to use their magics, Kraken hunts around for a suitable weapon to use on the undead beasts. His eyes fall on the chuck of dragon jawbone and his mind begins to work. Taking a strip of leather he wraps one end tightly to form a handle. Hefting it, he notes the balance is slightly off but after a few test swings he has compensated for it.

The others finish their discussion and are ready to begin. Glaive has offered to carry an object that has the silence spell placed on it since his powers are not limited by such mortal magics, but it can also be discarded should he require it.

Using the knowledge gained by Doral's scouting trip, you approach the building from an angle that will prevent the creatures inside from spotting you. Crossing the open ground leaves you feeling exposed but there is no sign of life anywhere in the complex. Once in position, you prepare to strike.

OOC
[SBLOCK]
Map to follow shortly. Give me initiatives and first round actions.
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Just before the group leaves to cross to the entrance (as Doral is casting the silence spell?), Midian melts into a dinosaur form again, then uses some of his own magic to toughen his and his ape companion's skin. Once the group is prepared at the cave entrance and the signal given, he and Garuk charge the closest of the undead sentries in unison.

[sblock=OOC]Wild shape into a dino form again, then use natural spell and share spells to share Barkskin with Garuk. +3 natural armor to both of them, which I believe gives them 20 AC for the next hour and ten minutes.

Of course the first thing they're doing is charging, so now it's 18 AC until their turn next round.

Initiative (1d20+2=20)

Full attack, dino wildshape, charge: talons;damage;foreclaw;damage;foreclaw;damage;bite;damage (1d20+11=23, 1d8+4=5, 1d20+6=13, 1d3+2=5, 1d20+6=15, 1d3+2=3, 1d20+6=25, 2d4+2=6)

Claw attack, charge. (1d20+12=20, 1d8+6=11)[/sblock]

[sblock=Spells Prepared]Wild shape (used / per day): 1/3
Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

Orisons (6, DC 14): Mending, Flare x2, Resistance, Guidance, Create Water
1st level (4+1, DC 15): Magic Fang, Faerie Fire, Longstrider, Sandblast, Obscuring Mist
2nd level (3+1, DC 16): Barkskin x2, Cloudburst, Body of the Sun
3rd level (2+1, DC 17): Call Lightning*, Nature's Favor, Wind Wall
4th level (1+1, DC 18): Ice Storm, Dispel Magic

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level 2x/day[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC: Here is the map, sorry for the delay.

Attachments

• Building.jpg
    Building.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46

Dr Simon

Explorer
As Midian charges, Kraken reacts, outpacing his druid ally and smashing his makeshift club into the nearest creature.

[sblock=OOC]
Intitiave 1d20+6=24 but delaying until after Midian, so reduce to 20-

Club attack on nearest creature, charge if possible.
Attack 1d20+10=23

Damage for club? +2 for Str and plus 1d8 for powerful charge.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper hangs back a bit. She casts a spell, summoning what looks like a horde of tiny fireflies that whirl and swarm around her right hand. Only a close look reveals that those 'fireflies' are actually tiny motes of pure magic energy. Too small to do damage, she nevertheless hurls them through the open flap guarded by the undead 'dogs,' and from within the tent is a burst of brilliant, blinding light!

(Glitterdust centered at the center of the tent. Note that Whisper won't do this until there is an indication the party has been noticed. In other words, when she hears noises coming from inside, she performs this action. Until then she delays.)

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 21 (T13, FF18), HP 60/60, F +5,R+5,W+5
Eldritch blast: +7/+8, 4d6 damage
Short Sword +1, Icy +8, 1d6+3+1d6 ice on command

Glaive fires at the 'dog' Kraken attacks. Careful not to hit the furous priest, his blast of eldritch energy misses it's target. Then he takes a position 10ft away from the beast, Kraken between them.

[sblock=ooc]
Glaive

Initiative, Eldritch blast to hit, EB damage (1d20+3=12, 1d20+4=5, 4d6=17)

active invocations: See the Unseen, Entropic Warding, DR 2 / cold iron
at-will: Blast, Glaive (+1d6 acid with shard focus), Detect Magic, Teleport, Shatter
Devil's Favor: 3/3 (+2 bonus on attack, save, or check)
Devil's Stamina: 1/1 (fast healing 3 for 5 rounds)
Bracers of Entangling Blast: 3/3
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture: 3/3
Healing Belt: 3/3
Wand: 37/50
[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Midian and Garuk charge in through the doorway into the two story building. The raking claws from Midian's dino form scratch and scrape at the tough stone-like bones but cause little damage. Garuk's swing shatters ribs but you can see the big ape wince in pain at the hardness of the bone. Their charge carries them clear of the door to allow their fellows to come in after them. Kraken plows through after them, his dragonbone club swing in a powerful blow with his full momentum behind it. Doral, Glaive, and Whisper take up positions just outside the door. Their watchful eyes look for any signs of life inside. Glaive's position is such that so far their attack has been utterly silent despite the violent battle taking place before them.

The two beasts recover quickly. Throwing back their heads in silent howls, their bodies glow and sprout long ghostly spikes down their backs. Then, they rush forward to attack. The first bites down hard on Kraken and pulls free a bloody chunk. The second misses the nimble druid.

OOC
[SBLOCK]
I forgot to move Garuk to the right spot on the map, so I'll correct that next round. Doral is readying an action vs sight, and I think I understand Whisper is doing the same thing. They're both waiting for cultists while the other three deal with the skeleton guards.

Kraken's weapon counts as a Greatclub +1. It does 1d10+3. You notice that your weapon is very effective against the creatures. The bones seems to shatter under your blows.
[/SBLOCK]

Attachments

• Building r1.jpg
    Building r1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Though the bones are clearly tougher than they would expect, both Midian and his ape continue to press their attack.

OOC: Should have realized they'd have DR / bludgeoning. D'oh! Question: does a druid have to regain human shape before taking on a new animal shape, or can he go right from one animal form to another? Thinking about taking a new shape with a bludgeoning attack, but if it'll take two rounds to accomplish, I'm not sure it's really worth it. :)

Also, since Garuk has 10' reach, he's stay back by 5' to take advantage of AoO if the critters try to close on him.

[sblock=rolls] GarukClaw;damage;claw;damage;bite;damage (1d20+10=21, 1d8+5=9, 1d20+10=12, 1d8+5=12, 1d20+5=13, 1d6+2=8)

Full attack, dino wildshape: talons;damage;foreclaw;damage;foreclaw;damage;bite;damage (1d20+9=18, 1d8+4=8, 1d20+4=23, 1d3+2=3, 1d20+4=21, 1d3+2=4, 1d20+4=16, 2d4+2=9)[/sblock]

Remove ads