Spellthief vs. Undead - Options in a Fight?

moritheil

First Post
I have a spellthief 3/illusionist 2 headed into a campaign where there is likely to be at least one major battle involving undead. As the theme of the character is tricking people via illusions and enchantments (barred evocation/abjuration) rather than direct damage, this is something of a problem. In the time before I get Wiz 3 and take some 2nd-level necromancy spells that will specifically address uselessness in an undead fight, what should I do?

My thoughts at present are basically that even though I can't do much damage, I can still assume a battlefield control role. If there's an evil necromancer leading the shambling hordes, he or she will get the pointy end of my sneak attack. If not, then I will basically be casting silent image and grease the whole time. I do have AC 24, so I can draw attention away from anything squishier than me, but seeing as I am the closest thing the party has to a real mage, and all the other casters (druid etc) have twice my hit points and AC 20, that doesn't really seem to be called for.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Arrange to steal some spells from the druid and cast them? Magic stone would particularly suit.

Slaved

First Post
A Truedeath Crystal from the Magic Item Compendium would be very useful. Later on the Greater version will be especially potent as it should allow you to steal spells from undead casters!

moritheil

First Post
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070209a

I'm ambivalent. Spellthief damage is mediocre at best and the point of sneak attack is to steal spells/effects, not to actually deal damage (unless there's no magic to be had.) Certainly the crystal is an improvement. I'm just wondering if there are better non-damaging things to be doing with my actions.

Jaelis has an interesting idea. Usually the druid or cleric will have more spells than they have time to cast.

Blargney, what buff spells do you recommend I take?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Bull's Strength is almost always extremely good for someone in the party at the level you're at, and Enlarge Person is often good for those same types of people.

Protection from Evil and Cat's Grace can do a lot to help ACs.

moritheil

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
My suggestion is find someone who's played a rogue against undead and constructs and get some pointers from them.

Ironically enough, I have done that. My solution was to use UMD to power a wand of Grave Strike.

Anyhow, thanks for your ideas, everyone. I've finally been swayed over to playing a beguiler instead. I will probably still be doing battlefield control, but I am totally relinquishing the idea of damage-dealing, so the SA angle is moot. My DM has pointed out that it's fine for low-level casters to be support rather than damage-dealing, and I should let the melee monsters shine anyhow.

Remove ads