Upcoming Attraction for The Cage

Magi_Trelian

First Post
For your role-playing enjoyment, for an added enticement to get people off Oerth, or for whatever sinister reason you want to ascribe to the Magi, there will be a new descriptive feature added to The Cage combat/RP room sometime next week. This is not a new room, just an IC addition to the existing room.

The description is here for comments and for thinking about what your char might do with it. Critiques and suggestions are fine, too, just don't be too disappointed if I don't take you up on them. It's a hard balance between too dull and simple and too complex and confusing.

I'll be updating the setting description linked from the menu at the top of the boards (for instance, it still talks about The Hive instead of The Cage, sorry 'bout that) to add this info, and Gabe has kindly agreed to add a line of text and a link into the room description inside the chat.

Main point: this is for FUN! It's not going to be a setting violation if characters don't play it by the exact "rules" given below. But like any video garme or whatever added to a bar, if the patrons break it too often, it may go away. Or, it may go away when we think of something else fun to add, who knows?

I'll post here when we're sure of the exact go-live for this. :)

- Trelian

----------------------

New Attraction in The Cage!

An extension has been added onto The Cage’s warren of rooms. The area is about 40’ square with a 20’ square boxing ring in the center. Inside the ring stand two 10-foot tall metal figures. One has a bluish sheen to its silvery metal. The other is in darker metal, with a reddish glint. Each has a strange sigil on its forehead, and another on its chest.

Outside the ring near each figure is a strange box, about 3’ high, decorated with battle scenes. On the top of each box is two handles, a square black plate of metal, a small round globe that glows with a faint white light, and a coin slot. On the front of the box is a small recessed area, like the end of a chute.

There is also a terse line of instruction that seems legible to anyone, regardless of native language: “Pay Gold. Hold Handles. Slap Plate For Spell. Pay To Continue.”

The bartender, or many someone hanging around nearby, can explain further, or you can discover how it works through trial and error.

OOC Explanation:

Think “iron golems” without the figures conforming to any set rule system or stats. Assume that they are evenly matched.

“Pay Gold.”
Any standard-weight gold coin will do, or you can buy a token from Shiny, the ShivGoldem. A smaller or cheaper coin will do nothing. When an appropriate coin or token is put in the slot, the light on the console glows more brightly and the corresponding golem’s eyes will start glowing red or blue, depending on which golem. (Note: the boxes have been rigged with minor magical and physical traps to prevent vandalism, but it’s not impossible.) If no one activates the opposing golem within a reasonable amount of time, the lights die down, but the coin is not returned.

“Hold Handles.”
Holding one handle does nothing. Holding both handles puts you in mental control of the associated golem’s actions. (Note: People who have blocked their minds from outside connections may or may not be able to operate this device. Up to you.) The handles do not move; they don’t need to.

“Slap Plate For Spell.”
Hitting the black metal plate will set off a ray of energy from your golem’s forehead symbol. (Note: If you have more than 2 hands, you can slap the plate without letting go of one of the handles.) The blue golem has a frost ray. The red golem has a fire ray. If the ray hits the opposing golem on its chest symbol, it’s an immediate win. (Note: There is nothing to prevent the ray from going outside the ring. Spectators should be prepared to duck.) After using the ray, the white light on the box will start flashing. It takes 3 minutes real-time to re-charge the ray. At the end of the 3 minutes, the light goes steady again and the ray can be reused.

“Pay To Continue.”
After 15 minutes real-time, the light on the box starts flashing red. If you do not deposit another coin or token, after another minute the light turns steady red and your mental connection is lost. A coin or token deposited then will still reactivate the session. After another minute the light goes out, the other golem becomes the winner, and the whole system re-sets.

How to Win:

THERE ARE NO STATS. Play is freeform. The golems are evenly matched. Sufficient damage will “kill” the other golem. Sufficient damage consists of any of the following:

(1) hitting the chest symbol of the opposing golem with your golem’s energy ray
or
(2) a direct uppercut to the opposing golem’s bottom jaw
or
(3) whatever degree of damage that both players deem to be sufficient

When a golem is “killed”, the golem’s head explodes off its body with a loud bang. The mental control to each golem is dropped. The winning player gets a payout of 15 silver pieces for each gold that was deposited during that fighting session. The losing player gets nothing.

Afterwards, the system resets itself. The floor of the ring glows. The golems pick up any pieces of themselves that have been disconnected (including head) and return to their corners. The glow extends over the figures and both are repaired to previous working order. (Note: If the golems, or pieces of the golems, are removed from the ring, they cannot repair themselves till returned to the ring. But the ShivGolem will do this if he finds the pieces unattended.)

Ruthia

First Post
So basically Rockum Socum Robots? I remember that game as a kid, the blue one always lost.

um....yeah....thats all I gotta say.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Ruthia said:
So basically Rockum Socum Robots? I remember that game as a kid, the blue one always lost.

um....yeah....thats all I gotta say.
Bingo! So make the blue one win this time? :)
It's a toy, for fun, because RPing is a game and meant to be fun.
Sometimes people can find all they need on their own.
Sometimes something in the setting can help add that fun.
In char, you can treat this as the silliness it is, or you can treat it seriously and use that instead, whichever, up to you!

Magi_Trelian

First Post
James V said:
Can the robots be ripped out and used as weapons at all? I wanna take an iron fist and shove it in Jeana's face :D
Sure! They aren't attached to the floor of the boxing ring. But please put the pieces back in the ring afterwards. :)

The Cage has been described as a warren of connected rooms. That's in IC terms; in OOC terms it stays as one chat room so we don't have to monitor a bunch of different room logs. But we may end up treating some of those IC "rooms" as if settings for campaign modules, with different descriptions added on, like this one. Let me know if you have other ideas, either here or at isrpmagi@gmail.com .

Jeajea

First Post
mattress.png

Remove ads