Keep on the Shadowfell....

DSRilk

First Post
Can anyone explain why they're releasing KotS BEFORE the rules? I know it includes a little play guide, but why do that? Obviously a play guide won't include all the rules necessary for play, or it'd be one big "quick start" guide. So why bother? Why make it so that I either buy it and wait a month or two to play it or DM it right away and then can't level the characters until the rules come out, causing consternation? I see absolutely no upside. I mean yes, I'm going to pick it up early, but mainly to look at it and drool over some new rules. But I can't imagine it's just a big preview...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
It is essentially a preview guide, a demo.

It is so those people on the fence, or those who want to try it out before hand to see how it works for their group, can by it test out the adventure and see if they like.

Game companies like WW have been doing it for sometime, each of their lines before release has a free pdf-downloadable adventure (or can be found in stores).

Spatula

Explorer
My guess is that the early release date ensures that people will buy it, hopefully like it, and buy the other adventures down the road. Basically a ploy to get those experienced gamers that are disinclined to buy adventures to pick one up (in order to see the rules ASAP).

Cyronax

Explorer
Crack analysis. Its a teaser.

I am lucky enough to live in Northern Va. and I'll be at D&D XP this Saturday. This and KotSF should hopefully allow me to start 4E early (since I get to keep promo swag from the convention).

C.I.D.

malraux

First Post
DSRilk said:
Can anyone explain why they're releasing KotS BEFORE the rules? I know it includes a little play guide, but why do that? Obviously a play guide won't include all the rules necessary for play, or it'd be one big "quick start" guide. So why bother? Why make it so that I either buy it and wait a month or two to play it or DM it right away and then can't level the characters until the rules come out, causing consternation? I see absolutely no upside. I mean yes, I'm going to pick it up early, but mainly to look at it and drool over some new rules. But I can't imagine it's just a big preview...
I imagine the book will support playing the PreGen characters that the module comes with through about level 3, which will probably coincide with the module containing about enough XP to get one through about level 3. There likely won't be a huge array of feats and powers to select from, but just enough to give 2 choices per level (if that). The 3rd edition box set/quick start rules took only about 30 pages to detail the rules, and given the more self contained method that powers use in 4e, you could probably get that down to 10-20 pages to explain the core rules. So I suspect it'll be complete unto itself, but will only contain enough quickstart rules to take the 5 pregens through the module itself.

SoulsFury

Explorer
I know we are getting KotSF before the rulebooks but I'm pretty sure Thunderspire Labyrinth is coming out before them too...

The description of TL includes "This product includes an adventure booklet for the Dungeon Master, a player's booklet containing new character options and campaign information, player handouts, and a full-color poster map, all contained in a handy folder."

This to me sounds like you will be on your way to 5th level before the books come out (why else would you need a DM/player booklet to play the campaign). Either way I can't wait cause the week I get the adventure, I'm dming it. I even have added a city called Thunderspire to my campaign world so that will be their home base for a couple levels.

MaelStorm

First Post
SoulsFury said:
I know we are getting KotSF before the rulebooks but I'm pretty sure Thunderspire Labyrinth is coming out before them too...

The description of TL includes "This product includes an adventure booklet for the Dungeon Master, a player's booklet containing new character options and campaign information, player handouts, and a full-color poster map, all contained in a handy folder."

This to me sounds like you will be on your way to 5th level before the books come out (why else would you need a DM/player booklet to play the campaign). Either way I can't wait cause the week I get the adventure, I'm dming it. I even have added a city called Thunderspire to my campaign world so that will be their home base for a couple levels.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Thunderspire Labyrinth will be released July 15th. Check Amazon.com

arscott

First Post
Uh, no. In fact, KotS comes out just a week or two before the core books.

The DM booklet referred to is obviously the adventure itself. Not sure what's going to be in the Player booklet, but It won't just be a miniature PHB.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases