Trend in the Art?

Incendax

First Post
Browsing through the cover art we've seen for most of the books being released soon I have noticed a very awkward trend. There are a few minor exceptions, but almost without fail we see:

1) Character/Monster in pose of immediate action!
2a) If it's a monster, it's mouth is gaping open!
2b) If it's a character, it's mouth is shut.
3) Some kind of particle effect.

The dungeon master's guide is an exception, with a close mouthed monster quietly regarding a particle effect.

To break this trend, what are some good ideas for alternate cover pictures?

Zamkaizer

First Post
Incendax said:
Browsing through the cover art we've seen for most of the books being released soon I have noticed a very awkward trend. There are a few minor exceptions, but almost without fail we see:

1) Character/Monster in pose of immediate action!
2a) If it's a monster, it's mouth is gaping open!
2b) If it's a character, it's mouth is shut.
3) Some kind of particle effect.

The dungeon master's guide is an exception, with a close mouthed monster quietly regarding a particle effect.

To break this trend, what are some good ideas for alternate cover pictures?
Ones in which you're not such a tight-ass. Monsters sentient enough to want to do more than feast heroes try to break their spirit with all manner of curses, shrieks, or warcries, and maybe breath magical fire on them.

And by "almost without fail", you must mean, "maybe half the time,"--nearly all the covers bearing characters feature them shouting, grinning, snarling, or performing some other oral action.

Last edited:

Incendax

First Post
Zamkaizer said:
Ones in which you're not such a tight-ass. Monsters sentient enough to want to do more than feast heroes try to break their spirit with all manner of curses, shrieks, or warcries, and maybe breath magical fire on them.

And by "almost without fail", you must mean, "maybe half the time,"--nearly all the covers bearing characters feature them shouting, grinning, snarling, or performing some other oral action.

Pictures that show me being less of a tight-ass are not likely to capture any one of the numerous concepts that really make 4th Edition shine. And, while the above certainly qualifies as good ideas for alternative cover pictures, I was thinking something more along the lines of fantasy, not involving me, and possibly more detailed.

The rest is merely debatable opinion.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
*LOL!* I'm guessing that Zamkaiser is addressing the various tight-assed NPC's in the examples as "you're" and not the OP. :)

Characters are wound pretty tight in general - it's not easy fighting for your life for the off-chance of finding something valuable every day. I mean, a feller's gotta eat!

Grossout

First Post
I kinda agree. Especially the 1st 3 adventures - one large character displayed up close in the front on each. I'd rather see some sort of scene, with a few characters and something prominent in the background...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Herobizkit said:
*LOL!* I'm guessing that Zamkaiser is addressing the various tight-assed NPC's in the examples as "you're" and not the OP. :)
THAT'S okay, then. I hadn't examined their asses. It's sometimes hard to tell.

Remove ads