D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

im_robertb

First Post
I, for one, am following this thread. I'm just not posting because I haven't been able to run it yet.

Also, since Second Son is sitting there with far less in the way of playtest reports, I hope Olgar won't be offended if I don't run this module first.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Today is my birthday and to celebrate, I'm hosting an all day D&D mini-con at my home on Saturday. Dedicated to Gary, of course. :)

In addition to running my 3.5 Pathfinder game, I'm planning on running this 4e playtest for my group Saturday night.

I'll post my results and feedback here.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Regarding the post about teaching the game to kids, I imagine WotC will come out with a boxed Basic game for 4E, complete with pre-printed cards for powers. Much easier to play 4E if you're literally holding your powers in your hand, and can just pick from them as needed.

Perhaps print the borders of the cards in different colors to denote at-will, encounter, and daily.

Glad aeveryone's having fun with this. I still haven't been able to run it myself, but my group meets this weekend.

I've gotten a request for translation, so for the record: feel free to translate this into any language where there are gamers who will enjoy it, and distribute it as you wish. I've only got two requests: (1) provide credit to Olgar Shiverstone & EN World, and (2) keep it free!

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Zaruthustran said:
Regarding the post about teaching the game to kids, I imagine WotC will come out with a boxed Basic game for 4E, complete with pre-printed cards for powers. Much easier to play 4E if you're literally holding your powers in your hand, and can just pick from them as needed.

Perhaps print the borders of the cards in different colors to denote at-will, encounter, and daily.

That is an excellent suggestgion, Z. If I'm able to talk them into giving the game another shot, I'll definately use it. As it was, they just looked at me every round and asked what they should do. That's not the game I wanted them to play, so I'm hoping for another shot.

Xorn

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Glad aeveryone's having fun with this. I still haven't been able to run it myself, but my group meets this weekend.

I've gotten a request for translation, so for the record: feel free to translate this into any language where there are gamers who will enjoy it, and distribute it as you wish. I've only got two requests: (1) provide credit to Olgar Shiverstone & EN World, and (2) keep it free!

Olgar, if you want to include the links for the maps I made, please do--my bandwidth should be able to handle it. I've got my VTT group gearing up to play this on Saturday, and I can't freaking wait. I plan to post screenshots of the encounters and the chatlog as well, plus I'll post my thoughts on it here. But I'm so excited about this--I have no idea how I'm going to make it to JUNE.

I'm hoping for a TPK on Nightscale. When the 3.5 game encounters Nightscale in Forge of Fury they're going to be like... "Heeeey... this seems REALLY familiar..."

Xorn said:
Olgar, if you want to include the links for the maps I made, please do--my bandwidth should be able to handle it. I've got my VTT group gearing up to play this on Saturday, and I can't freaking wait. I plan to post screenshots of the encounters and the chatlog as well, plus I'll post my thoughts on it here. But I'm so excited about this--I have no idea how I'm going to make it to JUNE.

I'm hoping for a TPK on Nightscale. When the 3.5 game encounters Nightscale in Forge of Fury they're going to be like... "Heeeey... this seems REALLY familiar..."

Hey, I love your maps -- great work. Looking forward to the posts of the results of play.

Nightscale was a lot of fun for me in my last campaign ... she became a recurring villain that matured, gained levels, and reappreared several times on- and off-screen before she finally succumbed (and her bastard half-dragon offspring popped up a couple of times too). Though I'll admit I did change her slightly for that campaign, where she was a shadow dragon.

And if you couldn't figure it out from Raiders, Forge of Fury was my favorite 3E adventure ... though much of the credit for that goes to Wulf Ratbane, whose adventures there inspired my love of that module. Of course I couldn't help tweaking that to fit my campaign either, so orcs became hobgoblins, duergar became drow, and there was a colony of myconids in the Glitterhame to provide a bit of a break from combat and some interesting roleplaying encounters ...

Nebulous

Legend
I'm following this thread too, and will post once our session is done. So far, it sounds like a really great 1st level adventure. Powering up 1st level heroes might have been the right decision after all, instead of fighting rats for a whole level or two.

AstroCat

Adventurer
Wicked Dodge Reaction, when target of melee atk; +9 vs Will; atk automatically misses OR instead targets any other creature within attacker’s reach (your choice). Rchg 5.

Does this mean that when Meepo is attacked, he rolls a +9 Will save against his own Will or the person attacking him? I presume it is a +9 Will attack against the attacker.

Thanks. I am running this tonight. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads