Making your own power cards

Thindaraiel

First Post
Which *.mse-set file should we use with your new templates?

For the moment, you can not use any existing mse-set, as the template is not compatible with older versions.

I am already working on 2 conversion guides, which will allow you to transform old mse-sets into the new format (some structural changes prevent the compatibility). One guide will be for original Ander's template, the other for Enchanced Ander's template. Expect it for the end of the week.

eloquentaction

First Post
I'm already working on moving all style infos to another location. I wanted to post this version to have some feedback, even if I knew that I'd have to modify it again for the UCSP.

I made a list of the infos I need for the template. Here it is :
- background : the image background of the card. (Should be moved to the style)
- header color : color of the card
- header shape : the appearance of left/right/center zones for icons/title (should depend on the style)
- name : name of the card
- super_type : class/race of the character (should be renamed)
- sub-type : type of the power (should be renamed)
- level
- left icon : reserved zone for action/item icon. (Should be split into "action" and "item" icons)
- right icon : reserved zone for range icon. (Should be renamed "range")
- rangevalue : distance in squares
- burstvalue : distance in squares
- frequency : use a drop down list
- flags : free text
- rule text : free text
- flavor text : free text
- box label1, box label2, box label3 : 3 additional text infos

I hope this will help you in defining the first draft of the game file.

Yep, those were already defined.

I added:

- source. Where the card came from.
- name. Renamed to 'card name'.
- super_type. Renamed to 'class race'.
- sub_type. Renamed to 'power type'.
- card type. This is the basis for what color the card will be. Since each set might want to define their colors/styles differently for different types. Current Values are: At-will, Encounter, Daily, Ritual, Item, Magic Item, Info, Artifact, Character, Initiative, Monster, Skill, Condition, Disease, Trap, Social. These should be mapped to a card color inside the STYLE.
- frequency, level. Stay the same
- flags. Renamed to 'keywords'.
- rules text. Renamed to 'rules'.
- flavor text. Renamed to 'flavor'.
- action icon. Renamed to 'action symbol'.
- range icon. Renamed to 'range symbol'.
- rangevalue, burstvalue, level. Remain the same (though if I could think of something more generic than burstvalue, I'd rename it).
- box label now goes out to box label 9.
- box text now goes out to box text 9.

The idea of splitting the action symbol into action symbol and magic item power symbol is a good idea. I was also thinking of maybe adding a damage type symbol 1 through 5 so card makers that wanted to display the damage type(s) of a card could use these.

I'm splitting the GAME file into a bunch of includes like you did. I think it makes the overall file smaller and easier to comprehend. I just wish their was an intellisense editor for MSE files.

Problems:

* Splitting the set style definitions away from the GAME file.
* Coming up with a way to do the card backs that's both simple, flexible and can be easily understood by new set designers.
* Coming up with a way to do the symbols that allows for masking and also allows for new effects to be added without making it hugely complex.
* Making a default set (based off of Ander's, most likely) so other set designers can learn from it.

I think I've fixed most of the problems, but you had a very clean approach that I want to adhere to, so I'm tweaking the files. Unfortunately, this hits during the Holidays which means I have very little free time.

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

DennisB

First Post
Based loosely on Anders idea, This setup is simple and so easy to make. And it will be in MSE form.
I have created the wizards cards and in the middle of rouges, like i said i would like to help with this project but if you dont want any help just let me know.

Level1At-Will-DeftStrike.png

tempor

First Post
I've been a lurker for quite some time now. I just have to say it. The work you guys have been doing is PHENOMENAL!!!

Keep up the good work!

Thindaraiel

First Post
- card type. This is the basis for what color the card will be. Since each set might want to define their colors/styles differently for different types. Current Values are: At-will, Encounter, Daily, Ritual, Item, Magic Item, Info, Artifact, Character, Initiative, Monster, Skill, Condition, Disease, Trap, Social. These should be mapped to a card color inside the STYLE.
- box label now goes out to box label 9.
- box text now goes out to box text 9.

The idea of splitting the action symbol into action symbol and magic item power symbol is a good idea. I was also thinking of maybe adding a damage type symbol 1 through 5 so card makers that wanted to display the damage type(s) of a card could use these.

If you can add the damage icon, it would be really useful for me (and some others that have implemented this feature).

Box label/box text should be renamed "additional label/text" as it can be used for something else than a box.

I have a problem with colors : you have defined 16 of them, and I already have 18 colors. Can you add "special 1" and "special 2" ? These could be extended if another template proposes more colors.

Problems:
* Coming up with a way to do the symbols that allows for masking and also allows for new effects to be added without making it hugely complex.

I think I've fixed most of the problems, but you had a very clean approach that I want to adhere to, so I'm tweaking the files. Unfortunately, this hits during the Holidays which means I have very little free time.

We must define a standard list of symbols' shortcuts, because if they are not defined in each style, there will be a problem when switching from a style to another (symbol codes not recognized).

In the same way, we need to define the list of actions/items/ranges/damage keywords, to ensure that switching from a style to another keeps the value of the icon. This must be like the color list. For the moment, I identified :
- Actions: Minor, Move, Standard, Free, Immediate Interrupt, Immediate Reaction. We can add "No action" for templates which do require an icon even when this is not an action (in my template, masking the zone is possible)
- Ranges: Close/Ranged Blast, Close/Ranged Burst, Close/Ranged Wall, Personal, Touch, Ranged, Melee, Beast, Melee and Ranged, Melee and Beast
- Items: Armor, Arm slot, Belt slot, Hand slot, Foot slot, Head slot, Neck slot, Holy symbol, Orb, Potion, Ring, Wand, Rod, Staff, Weapon, Wondrous (and I'd like to add Crystal for the psionic campaign I'm involved in).
- Damage: Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic, Radiant, Thunder
Should we add others "special icons" to allow some templates to propose specifi icons ?

In a second version, we should define some fields for character sheets (characteristics, defenses, HP/surges, and so on...)

If you do not have time to split and clean the code, you can send me the template as is, and I will do the job.

Thanks for your help. I'm really excited at the idea of using ALL the wonderful templates together !

Thindaraiel

First Post
Based loosely on Anders idea, This setup is simple and so easy to make. And it will be in MSE form.
I have created the wizards cards and in the middle of rouges, like i said i would like to help with this project but if you dont want any help just let me know.

Level1At-Will-DeftStrike.png

I love it. Really gorgeous. Please continue to develop it, and keep an eye on the Universal Game project.

On a technical side, can you PM me how you did the transparent mask on right side of the card ? Thanks

DennisB

First Post
It came with the template. what i am doing is cutting the border off the card in paint.net and placing the information onto the card and placing the card on a full art card on MSE so if i want to add more cards later it will be a snap. i am making power cards and magic items and feats for starters. if you want a copy of the decks as i finish them just let me know and i will e-mail them to you along with the template to open each deck.

Also this is what the magic cards are going to look like. like i said all the cards are going to have the same format.

AcidicWeapon.png

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
If you can add the damage icon, it would be really useful for me (and some others that have implemented this feature).

Box label/box text should be renamed "additional label/text" as it can be used for something else than a box.

I have a problem with colors : you have defined 16 of them, and I already have 18 colors. Can you add "special 1" and "special 2" ? These could be extended if another template proposes more colors.

We must define a standard list of symbols' shortcuts, because if they are not defined in each style, there will be a problem when switching from a style to another (symbol codes not recognized).

In the same way, we need to define the list of actions/items/ranges/damage keywords, to ensure that switching from a style to another keeps the value of the icon. This must be like the color list. For the moment, I identified :
- Actions: Minor, Move, Standard, Free, Immediate Interrupt, Immediate Reaction. We can add "No action" for templates which do require an icon even when this is not an action (in my template, masking the zone is possible)
- Ranges: Close/Ranged Blast, Close/Ranged Burst, Close/Ranged Wall, Personal, Touch, Ranged, Melee, Beast, Melee and Ranged, Melee and Beast
- Items: Armor, Arm slot, Belt slot, Hand slot, Foot slot, Head slot, Neck slot, Holy symbol, Orb, Potion, Ring, Wand, Rod, Staff, Weapon, Wondrous (and I'd like to add Crystal for the psionic campaign I'm involved in).
- Damage: Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic, Radiant, Thunder
Should we add others "special icons" to allow some templates to propose specifi icons ?

In a second version, we should define some fields for character sheets (characteristics, defenses, HP/surges, and so on...)

If you do not have time to split and clean the code, you can send me the template as is, and I will do the job.

Thanks for your help. I'm really excited at the idea of using ALL the wonderful templates together !

Yeah - I'll add 10 special icons and 10 user defined card types. That way we shouldn't run out of room too fast.

I've already taken my icons, added the beast icons, and made them into a symbol-font. One of my 'to-do's is to standardize the damage symbols based on the ones Mercutio and Black Plauge have come up with.

And I agree on changing the box labels, etc. I'll make them more generic.

Thanks for the input. I'll release the set to you here shortly and you can split it and make it all purty for a version 0.2a.

Oh, and Thin - you can get the mask on the right hand side by creating a 50% transparent white PNG with borders that 'fade' to higher transparency, then just bring it in as an extra 'layer' in MSE. Just make sure you use the exact same size as the PNG or when MSE changes the size, you'll get odd artifacts in the resizing and it'll look odd.

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

Black Plauge

First Post
I'm going to suggest against using a symbol font for icons and using choice fields rendered as images instead (much like I did on my set). Symbol fonts are inherently cumbersome to use (though easy to program) because they require knowing the letter to symbol mapping. Even when that is made as intuitive as possible, that's still a whole bunch of user overhead that makes using the style more difficult.

The one situation where symbol fonts make sense (and the primary reason MSE has them) is in situations like the mana cost of a Magic card where you know you are going to have several symbols appearing in the same field in arbitrary combination. Most of the places where MSE styles for D&D cards have used symbol fonts, it has been in a field that contains only one icon (such as action type, range, damage, etc.). In those cases a choice field that is rendered as an image makes far more sense from a user interface point of view. Heck, even in cases where multiple icons might be needed (as in damage for some powers) it's possible to use a multiple choice field to handle that (check out my set for an implementation of that).

This will also make it easier to swtich from style to style as a style using a different set of icons would simply map the choice selections to the images it wants to use instead of having to write up a whole new symbol font.

Remove ads