Making your own power cards

DennisB

First Post
misalo1: This is what the template looks like, I don't know who made it, but it is great, the only little problem I have is it don't calculate the saves correctly But that's OK, I just manually input the information.

Here is what you do, Input the information on the card that it ask for, then in the card information section below the card i put the entire text of the monsters in there. the cards are for quick references.

So it would look something like this.

AirArchonZephyrhaunt.jpg

MotP 114

Initiative +18
Senses Perception +12
HP 122; Bloodied 61
AC 30; Fortitude 28, Refl ex 29, Will 27
Immune disease, poison; Resist 15 lightning
Speed fly 8 (hover)

Spiked Chain (standard; at-will) ✦ Lightning, Weapon
Reach 2; +22 vs. AC; 2d4 + 5 damage plus 2d6 lightning damage, and the target is pulled 1 square.

Cyclone Fling (standard; recharge 4, 5, 6)
Close burst 1; +19 vs. Fortitude; 2d8 + 8 damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares and knocked prone.

Whirlwind Escape (move; at-will) ✦ Teleportation
Adjacent creatures are pushed 1 square, and the archon zephyrhaunt teleports 8 squares.

Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Primordial
Skills Stealth +19
Str 16 (+11) Dex 23 (+14) Wis 18 (+12)
Con 20 (+13) Int 15 (+10) Cha 14 (+10)

Equipment plate armor, spiked chain

Air Archon Zephyrhaunt Tactics
A zephyrhaunt surges forth and targets as many enemies as possible with cyclone fling. While waiting for this power to recharge, it attacks with its spiked chain, unleashing a barrage of attacks before using whirlwind escape to briefly retreat.

Air Archon Lore
A character knows the following information with a successful Arcana check.

DC 20: Zephyrhaunts are elemental assassins, and tempestblades serve as the vanguard in battles.

DC 25: Zephyrhaunts transform into raging cyclones that fling enemies away. Screaming winds protect tempestblades by turning aside weapons and projectiles.

Encounter Groups
Air archons fight alongside other elemental creatures, even those of different elements.

Level 20 Encounter (XP 12,000)
2 air archon zephyrhaunts (level 16 lurker)
2 air archon tempestblades (level 18 skirmisher)
1 ice archon frostshaper (level 20 controller)
2 red slaads (level 15 soldier)

Last edited:

firesnakearies

Explorer
I think that in order to be particularly useful, the monster cards need to explain what the powers do, right on the card. You could use both sides, and abbreviate a lot of things.

But having to consult the book to know what the creatures' abilities do sort of defeats the purpose of having all of that other information on a card in the first place.

That's just me, though.

$

DennisB

First Post
I agree, however, I have tried many different ways to do just that and it failed on so many levels, So I decided to do this. Either it took 2 and some times 3 cards for one monster or the text was so small no one could read it.

firesnakearies

Explorer
A thought occurs to me...

Strictly speaking, do the monster cards really have to be the same size as the power/item cards? Could they be bigger, like large index cards or something along those lines?

misalo1

Explorer
Here is what you do, Input the information on the card that it ask for, then in the card information section below the card i put the entire text of the monsters in there. the cards are for quick references.

AirArchonZephyrhaunt.jpg

Thanks for the preview... but that's not what I was looking for. :(
Sorry...

eloquentaction

First Post
misalo1: This is what the template looks like, I don't know who made it, but it is great, the only little problem I have is it don't calculate the saves correctly But that's OK, I just manually input the information.

AirArchonZephyrhaunt.jpg

Dennis -

Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's Mercutio's and Black Plauge's card format.

To my knowledge, they are the only ones that have made the monster card format work on a standard 2.5" x 3.5" format.

They even talked about not being able to put the powers on the card and were talking about having secondary cards to hold the powers.

You should probably talk to them to get more info.

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
A thought occurs to me...

Strictly speaking, do the monster cards really have to be the same size as the power/item cards? Could they be bigger, like large index cards or something along those lines?

This is close to what I was thinking.

Right now, a Letter sized sheet of paper holds 3 cards across and 3 deep of 2.5"x3.5" cards.

So, if you knocked the card size up to 3"x5" cards, you'd get 2x2 on a letter sized sheet with .5" gaps.

You should be able to fit most monsters onto a 3"x5" card, with only the very high level monsters requiring possibly 2 cards for everything to fit.

I also thought 3"x5" character sheets would be pretty cool, because I can fit MOST of the character info on only 2 3"x5" cards with power cards for all of the powers.

But, those are all projects for after we have the UCS out the door!

-- Hirahito

DennisB

First Post
Like I said, i do not know who made it, I just thought it was a great setup.
I agree about the the powers not fitting, but like i said, The cards notes in MSE under the card is a good spot to put the descriptions of whatever you want.
I could of opted to just put the powers descriptions in it, but I decided to put the entire monster descriptions in that section.

Now if anyone has a better monster card, please let me know.

Black Plauge

First Post
That is Merc and my work (though without the correct fonts installed). It's meant to be used alongside power cards. The assumption is that the monster/character's powers will be on their own power cards. The size was chosen so that the character card would fit in the same storage container as a power card.

Also, the calculation of the defenses is setup to calculate the base for a character. It doesn't calculate monster defenses or take into account character items (the first because I didn't think of it, the second because it can't). That's why they're editable.

DennisB

First Post
Either way, I do like the set up, Sines you made it, I would like to use it if it is ok with you.

Can i make one suggestion, The suggestion is could you make the type and level section in the header shrink the longer the title is like you did in the skill and feats section. The words disappear off the edge when it gets too long.
Also, could you insert a section for the XP like in the bottom right of the card.

Last edited:

Remove ads