Making your own power cards

eloquentaction

First Post
Honestly, I've been writing my first 4E mod and I wanted to get some cards done for my PC (who a different player will play so we have 5 PCs) and item cards so i can give them cool treasure. I love your design, but I have mentally kept myself from installing it because I know I won't finish the mod if I do.

Now that the bulk of the work is done, I'm gonna do just that. And yes, I would love a tutorial on the MSE file itself. I read about the unzipping part, but I haven't done so nor delved into it. It would be useful to have the wiki at least explain what is going on. It would also let people know that they can change cards even if the text is not easily editable in the card.

Thanks, Hirahito! No slight meant, just giving props to what I've been able to get to so far!

It's cool. I have both Items / Magic Items / Mobs and Initiative cards all on my to-do list. Just a matter of time.

I'll try and finish Druid up today and start working on my cards. My free time dropped significantly for the next 3 weeks as I have my kids clambering for attention.

Damn them! ;-)

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

praxedes

First Post
Ander00's awesome cards- new art

Hi folks- I'm new o the forums and LOVE the powers cards. Ander00 has done amazing work adding in all of the powers. Because I like pretty things :) I have added in some more detailed background art to his sterling work. I haven't altered the content or anything (not that clever) but I've changed the png files for the main backgrounds. I didn't do all of them, jus tthe default cards. If they're popular, I'll happily complete the set. Again, all praise to Ander00 for the originals- hopefully this won't offend him ;)

The zip file is here: http://www.box.net/shared/h7r1l6ps0k and contains all the original stuff as well. Enjoy!

Apologies for image size- I don't know how to do that thumbnail thing!

melodypowers.png

Onderzeeboot

First Post
I see Ander00 is still updating post 568? I'm missing the at-will powers Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack found in the PHB on page 287. Maybe they can be added to the file? Keep up the great work, I've already got my party hooked on the concept of power cards ;)

praxedes

First Post
You know you can add them yourself by copying an existing card in MSE and re-typing the text, then saving your set- at least, that's how I've been making magic items :)

Netminder69

First Post
I have created two sets of the Wizard illusion spells from Dragon #364 in the Ander style and the Hirohito style. I also have Ander style cards for the Warforged race and paragon paths and the Pack Master paragon path.

They are on my website: www.dungeoncrawl.us.

guybrush

First Post
Guybrush -

Awesome job on the WIKI.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to see others have chipped in, too; that's what Wikis are for, after all!

One note, though - it's not entirely necessary for them to put the complete card sets in their own directories. Most of ours can coexist peacefully since we've renamed the .mse-game. Mine, for example, is differentiated by DnD4h.mse-game. Since none of the other sets use that, it can coexist peacefully.
Okay, great. I was wondering about that - I think I was still using an old version of your cards when I originally wrote the article, and it did seem to overwrite some of the Ander00 files I was using at the time. All the stuff about using different directories has come from other authors.

I still dream of developing a standard D&D.mse-game file for 4E power cards, but I understand everyone's busy figuring out what works best for them. I would imagine the majority of current designs have a large degree of overlap in the schema, though - after all, they're all modelling the same information from the same source!

Last edited:

beowulfe

First Post
On the Ander's set, how do I edit the file to add in new races/classes? Since there is a drop down box with the races/classes listed, how can I add new ones to that list?

eloquentaction

First Post
Okay, great. I was wondering about that - I think I was still using an old version of your cards when I originally wrote the article, and it did seem to overwrite some of the Ander00 files I was using at the time. All the stuff about using different directories has come from other authors.

I still dream of developing a standard D&D.mse-game file for 4E power cards, but I understand everyone's busy figuring out what works best for them. I would imagine the majority of current designs have a large degree of overlap in the schema, though - after all, they're all modelling the same information from the same source!

Yep - I'm learning as I go along. Sorry for that hassle.

I have gone through my set file and I'm making an effort to 'standardize' on the following fields:

name: -- Name of the card
name2: -- Optional. Used by Hirahito as complete source (e.g.
Fighter Feature)
image: -- background image
super type: -- word listed Class. (like: Fighter)
NOTE: Ander has these two reversed
sub type: -- word listed Type. (like: Attack / Utility)
level: -- Level of the power - Hirahito will put nothing on skills/feats
descriptors: -- word listed Frequency and flags on one line.
frequency: -- word listed Frequency (like: Daily)
flags: -- Arcane, etc. Hirahito - moved my keys: field to this
NOTE: I will not be comma separating
source: -- Source of this feat (like: PHB / MM, etc.)
source2: -- Optional. Hirahito - using this for another text box (top)
rules text: -- contains the rules.
flavor text: -- flavor text. Needs to be <i-flavor>ed.
action icon: -- the icon for the action type. NOTE: THIS HAS NOT
BEEN STANDARDIZED. Most sets are different.
range icon: -- the icon for the range. NOTE: NOT STANDARDIZED.
box label#: -- Labels for the boxes. NOTE: NOT STANDARDIZED.
Ander uses ATTACK: for the first box label, I use box label1:
Ander has box label2 & 3. I have box label1-7.
box contents#: -- Contents of the boxes. NOTE: NOT STANDARDIZED.
As far as I know, no one else stores the contents of the
boxes.
background: -- Ander has a lot more options than most. Red/Green/Black
is standard. Ander and I have Blue/Silver/Gold. Ander also
has a bunch of oranges, etc.
action: -- Hirahito only. Spelled out action (Free / Standard, etc.)
range: -- Hirahito only. Spelled out range.
rangevalue: -- Mercutio and Hirahito. Has the range value.
burstvalue: -- Mercutio and Hirahito. Has the burst value.

This is the new standard I'm moving to. It's a mix between my current set, Ander's set and Mercutio's set.

It's up to you to try and get them to conform! ;-)

I should be putting out the new set within the next few days.

-- Hirahito

eloquentaction

First Post
Sorry Meandog!

Here are two examples. The first is my set at default, the second is with some of the options selected.

Man that is alot of options, and really cool. So your idea was to use these side boxes to write in your characters attack and damage? What other things would you put in them?
Thanks

Well, I looked around and saw some of the cards had as many as 5 attacks (though most were typically 3 attacks). Plus, a lot of the cards had things like 'and you push the target 2 + your Dexterity modifier squares'.

So I wanted to be able to have an Attack ( +6 vs. Reflex ) / Damage ( 2d8 +4 ) and so on and so forth.

Basically, any info you'd need for that card.

I really wish MSE had negative regions; areas where it would wrap text around a box, say. But it doesn't (or at least I can't find anything like it).

My next version is just a clean up.

The biggest changes will be in the data in the set itself.

-- Hirahito

eloquentaction

First Post
Gearing up for Monsters...

Here's the basic card template for Monsters in my set...

Let me know what you guys think.

-- Hirahito

Attachments

• leathercard.jpg
    leathercard.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 236

Remove ads