Making your own power cards

eloquentaction

First Post
This brings up a good point... Would you consider breaking this up into different subsets? For instance, the Dragon/Homebrew stuff in a separate file from the stuff from the core books? It might cut down on the bandwidth used in downloading the sections that people want, although it is certainly more work for you to divide them up. I guess the importance depends on what you have to pay for bandwidth ;)

I find the new style very interesting. Not sure which I like better, but part of that might be that I just finished changing over all my cards to your original format :devil: I will have to print out some cards and see which works better in my game.

The old style's still there. Go under the STYLE menu and select the top one: CARD STYLE. Change it to WAX.

It's not perfect because I had to make some allowances between the two sets.

It looks like I'm taking on a third style and even making a new one myself (a landscape style). I'm going to split them off into new subdirectories rather than try and keep them all together. So they'll use the same GAME file and can use the same MSE-SET, but it will be up to the user on which STYLE they prefer; which I think is the best option anyway.

BTW - Tristan, I need your input on how to get the IMAGE field in MSE working properly. Every time I try it, it ghosts the background with a checkerboard pattern which pisses me off no end.

Once these projects are complete, a programming buddy of mine wants me to undertake a fusion of a character sheet editor that automatically dumps the sheet onto a PDF AND auto-makes a series of pages with the MSE power cards automagically filled in for that character. I've toyed with loading the files in the MSE-SET and I can read them no problem. Displaying them correctly using the GAME and STYLE files is a bit tougher. Not sure if I can do that or not yet but I'm looking at it.

Also - splitting the MSE-SET into a series of files sounds fine. I was going to do this with the Monsters and Items/Artifacts anyway. I could make one called CANON and OPTIONAL. But, of course, there's no way I am doing that by hand. I think I can modify my proggy to do that though based off the SOURCE field... Hmmm.....

P.S. - Sorry I ticked you off by changing my set. I DID keep backwards compatibility though (or tried to).

-- Hirahito

Grandpa

First Post
Some Grandpa-style non-power cards for effects that might be hard to keep track of.
Thanks so much. I've added yours and Magus' cards to the "official" post.

Grandpa, thanks again for all your work. I use your cards in 3 x 3 customized sheets for my players. Having 9 customized cards in front of them at an easy glance makes life very easy for them.
Awesome. Thanks for letting me know. I've been enjoying them, too.

Grandpa, these are da bomb.

I've been using them for a week or so now, and they really fill my need of a clean - and background-clutter-free - card. I'm currently using them for magic item cards, especially ritual cards. I'd like to see how you might format a Ritual Card....any thoughts?
That makes me way happy to hear. I'm working on Ritual Cards. I expect to release a major update next week, which will include nearly anything you could possibly want reference for that fits on a card and appears in the PHB.

Here is a preview of some of the new icons:

Attachments

• Misc Icons.jpg
    Misc Icons.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 355

eronian23

First Post
Hirahito

I love your set, though now the power names do not appear in the list, and the checkerboard appearance to the background is still there, and still hoping that you get a plain background as opposed to teh parchment style background for ease of printing for us less than financially well off people. :p

Eronian

PS: Using the following card setup, is there anyone who could use this to make a full set or apply this type of design to one of the already existing MSE sets?

http://sites.google.com/a/educatedgamer.net/4e-fans/Home/power-cards-1/powercardsworking

Last edited:

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
The old style's still there. Go under the STYLE menu and select the top one: CARD STYLE. Change it to WAX.
It's not perfect because I had to make some allowances between the two sets.

No worries. I understood that. I was referring more to which cards I would use IN PLAY :)

It looks like I'm taking on a third style and even making a new one myself (a landscape style). I'm going to split them off into new subdirectories rather than try and keep them all together. So they'll use the same GAME file and can use the same MSE-SET, but it will be up to the user on which STYLE they prefer; which I think is the best option anyway.

Sounds interesting. I have been very impressed with your first two styles, so look forward to some others to fret over which will find its way into my character's power deck ;)

BTW - Tristan, I need your input on how to get the IMAGE field in MSE working properly. Every time I try it, it ghosts the background with a checkerboard pattern which pisses me off no end.

I am no expert, but it sounds almost like the sort of image seen in graphics programs for a transparent background. Is there a problem with the image you are using such that it is not correctly transparent? Try viewing it in a browser to see if it displays correctly.

I have poked at the scripting for MSE a bit, but have not done a deep dive by any stretch, so I think you may be confusing me with one of the MSE gurus who have posted in the thread :blush:

Once these projects are complete, a programming buddy of mine wants me to undertake a fusion of a character sheet editor that automatically dumps the sheet onto a PDF AND auto-makes a series of pages with the MSE power cards automagically filled in for that character. I've toyed with loading the files in the MSE-SET and I can read them no problem. Displaying them correctly using the GAME and STYLE files is a bit tougher. Not sure if I can do that or not yet but I'm looking at it.

Cool! I look forward to it.

Also - splitting the MSE-SET into a series of files sounds fine. I was going to do this with the Monsters and Items/Artifacts anyway. I could make one called CANON and OPTIONAL. But, of course, there's no way I am doing that by hand. I think I can modify my proggy to do that though based off the SOURCE field... Hmmm.....

P.S. - Sorry I ticked you off by changing my set. I DID keep backwards compatibility though (or tried to).

As I said before, you did not tick me off... I was using the devil for my lazyness, not anger at you. I like what you have done so far very much!

dzokvic

First Post

I'd like to thank you for taking on my style and making it a part of your MSE set...it saves me a TON of work and allows my style to get more exposure than it would have on its lonesome. I'll be gathering up all the relevant images to send you tomorrow. I've attached an image just in case anyone on this post has not seen them yet and is curious. Don't feel like you have to rush to get it implemented, I understand that you have your own projects that you are working on, with probably a very limited amount of free time. Of course feedback from anyone is always welcome.

Attachments

• Icy Terrain.jpg
    Icy Terrain.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 279

I took Grandpa's awesome templates and made cards of the Illusion spells from Dragon 364.

I did them in Keynote, so they might not look exactly the same, but it had an easier time understanding the files than powerpoint (go fig).

Grandpa: if you want to put these in your post with all the cards, feel free.

Seems like some of the text was corrupted.

Dansedan

First Post
What about tome of battle

These MSE card sets are realy nice and make our gaming so much faster. Thanks alot for taking the time to make them guys.

I was however thinking has somthing like this been made for the tome of battle manouvers? I know that wizards put there cards on there website, but then you cant just print the cards you need like you can with MSE.

Has anyone made the cardsets and could you throw me a link if you know of it?

Thanks

(If this has been asked and aswered 1000 times before I apologise... but 30 pages of thread is alot ;))

gotan

First Post
This looks great! cannot wait to try it out. Any chance you could add a template for Magic items? I think they're also an excellent target for card creation.

Remove ads