D&D 4E DDXP 4E Rules Appendix

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Keterys, where did you find out that the nat 20 death save activates your Second Wind as opposed to just any ol' Healing Surge. Same for Heal checks?

Also, if you know: What's the DC of the Heal check?

Fitz

keterys

First Post
DM at our table said so during a 4e preview game. So, you know, maybe he was wrong. It does make a certain amount of sense, though.

DC 15.

Last edited:

ShinRyuuBR

First Post
I also find it intriguing that Endurance is now a skill.

As in Star Wars Saga Edition.

I realize I am only barely computer literate, but I cannot get those big enough to read. No matter what I use to open them they are teeny tiny. Any suggestions?

Try clicking on them as many times as it gets to enlarge them

Keterys, where did you find out that the nat 20 death save activates your Second Wind as opposed to just any ol' Healing Surge. Same for Heal checks?

The Design & Development article hints very strongly towards that, because it says you heal 1/4 your total HP, which is exactly what a Heling Surge does.

keterys

First Post
True, but it doesn't specify if it uses the one per encounter you can get with Second Wind.

Curiously, I don't see anything about the 'roll a 20 and something special happens' in the rules for dying in this appendix...

bjorn2bwild

First Post
Keterys, You're awesome.

Not having picked through these with a fine-toothed comb yet, I can't be certain, but my interpretation, as of now, of the "stabilize success triggers a healing surge and does X" is:

It triggers a healing surge and you are healed 1/4 of your hit points. That does not necessarily mean that you are healed TO 1/4 of your hit points. If you're deep enough in the negatives, the surge may not even heal you to positive hit points. You're stable (as in you don't need to make any more checks to see if you're dying), but you're still in negative hit points.

breschau

First Post
I think the confusion here is the new terms. A Second Wind is a character triggered healing surge upon himself. When other characters do things to heal you, they are limited to your number of healing surges (for clerics and those with Heal skill), or their own number of healing surges (for the paladin). When you have a healing surge you gain the number of HP listed. If it's a spell, there could be more.

A Second Wind is the only time a character can give himself a healing surge (without a spell or using Heal skill).

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
bjorn2bwild said:
Keterys, You're awesome.

Not having picked through these with a fine-toothed comb yet, I can't be certain, but my interpretation, as of now, of the "stabilize success triggers a healing surge and does X" is:

It triggers a healing surge and you are healed 1/4 of your hit points. That does not necessarily mean that you are healed TO 1/4 of your hit points. If you're deep enough in the negatives, the surge may not even heal you to positive hit points. You're stable (as in you don't need to make any more checks to see if you're dying), but you're still in negative hit points.
All negative HP are imaginary. Any healing raises you first to 0 HP and is applied from there. There is no situation (at least with what we know now) that would have you getting healed and still at negative HP.

Saitou

First Post
breschau said:
I think the confusion here is the new terms. A Second Wind is a character triggered healing surge upon himself. When other characters do things to heal you, they are limited to your number of healing surges (for clerics and those with Heal skill), or their own number of healing surges (for the paladin). When you have a healing surge you gain the number of HP listed. If it's a spell, there could be more.

A Second Wind is the only time a character can give himself a healing surge (without a spell or using Heal skill).
A Second Wind also grants a +2 to all defenses (AC, Fort, Ref, Will) until your next turn. This effect is always granted when something triggers a Second Wind, be it the character himself or another through means of Heal skill.

Tuft

First Post
Forced Movement

Hm, Forced movement "[...] isn't hindered by difficult terrain" and "[...] can't move a character into a space it couldn't enter by walking".

There is a lot of difference between "couldn't" and "wouldn't". :)

So, can you Push someone off a bridge, a cliff, the city wall, or that far-too-common rock in the middle of molten lava? (Not even a save-or-die situation - it's just a die situation... :) )

Can you Pull someone out a window?

Can you Slide someone into a thicket of thorns or into a Wall of Fire?

Last edited:

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
Tuft said:
... or that far-to-common rock in the middle of molten lava?
Only if you shout, "You were the Chosen One! You were to bring balance to the Force!" while you do it. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, all of your examples seem legal RAW. This is why I was amazed by the Trickster Rogue's ability to push an enemy a number of squares equal to CA modifier. There is some potential there for such setups.

Remove ads